Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #1181
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Just got a message from "Bank of Montreal" that my on-line account has been shut down because of several unsuccessful log-ons. I don't use on-line access (my wife does but she's out of the province and unavailable; she can tell me if she's still able to log in). They want me go to a site to create a new account, which I will not do until I know this is safe. I don't know if this is legit or a phishing attempt. I could call BMo but getting through to banks is very annoying. Is there any way to tell from this URL if this site is legit or bogus? I don't know what the hevec.nl/desite part is all about. Anyone know?

http://hevec.nl/desite/http://www.bmo.com/index.htm
BOGUS

You will never get an email from a bank for this sort of thing. They will call you personally.

Edit: Interestingly, I clicked on the link curious to see where it goes, and Firefox darkens the pages and gives a "Suspected Web Forgery" message. The dead giveaway is the URL starts "http://hevec.nl" which is NOT something any legit bank would do.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti

Last edited by Bobblehead; 09-28-2007 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #1182
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I suspected. When I went to the site, I never got a warning message (I use IE). The hevec.nl/desite in the URL was a warning sign.

Thank you.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #1183
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wow, I sent this webpage through to the bank of montreal, its a great forgery except the BMO page recently changed its layout.

The Havec.nl is a dead giveaway, and I've always found that if theres a problem with my account BMO calls me directly.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #1184
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As I suspected. When I went to the site, I never got a warning message (I use IE). The hevec.nl/desite in the URL was a warning sign.

Thank you.
IE has a phishing filter, but I just tried it and, while it says "phishing filter is checking website" it never actually flagged the site. In Firefox it was almost immediate (I believe Firefox actually uses Google to identify phishing sites)
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 09-28-2007, 12:33 PM   #1185
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Firefox flagged it immediately for me too. And just for fun I opened it Internet Explorer and tried to get it to recognize the phishing site.

Nice work Internet Explorer. The average joe wouldn't have noticed the site was sketchy.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #1186
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How could they know I'm a BMo customer, or do they send these out randomly?

It's a good attempt at making the site look legit. I click on mortgages or the investments tab and it takes me to places that really look like bmo.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 09-28-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #1187
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's a good attempt at making the site look legit. I click on mortgages or the investments tab and it takes me to places that really look like bmo.
They spam them out. I think I've received them for a couple dozen different banks, as well as paypal, ebay, etc.

They usually gab a copy of the website and just try to get you to sign in. Once they have your log-in and password they have your bank account.

No reputable financial institution will ever send any of their customers an email asking them to sign in. If you get one and think it may be legit, call your bank.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 09-28-2007, 10:42 PM   #1188
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ram Upgrade help needed....

I have this PC;
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

Currently using 2 x 128 mb PC 133 SD Ram.

I purchased two of these;
http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.p...uctID=6345&SID=
to upgrade to at least 512 to try and improve performance.

The problem is that the computer will not recognize the ram...

Any ideas why ????

Last edited by Nufy; 09-28-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #1189
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

Quote:

That's becuase they use the actual BMO links.

Everything else links directly the to the actual BMO site.
If you hover over the links, it should show up in the status bar as being:
http://www4.bmo.com/page

Not that I would trust anything on that site to begin with.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 AM   #1190
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:
Default Want to go dual monitor

I've got (at work) a laptop on a docking station and one LCD hooked up to it using a VGA plug.

I bought a second LCD that is also VGA and I want to hook it up.

There is only what appears to be a DVI plug.

So I went home, grabbed an adapter - brought it back to work and the plug doesnt match.

The adapter looks like this

. . ........
- a........
. . ........

However, the plug (the will be female sides) looks like this

aaa........
- a........
aaa........

The difference being the 4 additional pins in the adapter that there are no corresponding holes to match at the back of the docking station.

Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks

Last edited by Wookie; 10-01-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #1191
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I have this PC;
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

Currently using 2 x 128 mb PC 133 SD Ram.

I purchased two of these;
http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.p...uctID=6345&SID=
to upgrade to at least 512 to try and improve performance.

The problem is that the computer will not recognize the ram...

Any ideas why ????
The link to the PC says it supports 100 Mhz ram while you linked to 133 Mhz ram. But you mentioned you are using PC 133 ram anyways.

I'd verify that your PC can handle the 133 speed ram. There may be a bios setting that configures the system to use it as well.

Alternatively, try just placing one stick in and seeing if the system will recognize it.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #1192
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie View Post

. . ........
- a........
. . ........

However, the plug (the will be female sides) looks like this

aaa........
- a........
aaa........

The difference being the 4 additional pins in the adapter that there are no corresponding holes to match at the back of the docking station.

Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks

Yeah there's different kinds of DVI plugs, they have different features. I'm not sure which is which though, but if you search for types of DVI maybe.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #1193
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
The link to the PC says it supports 100 Mhz ram while you linked to 133 Mhz ram. But you mentioned you are using PC 133 ram anyways.

I'd verify that your PC can handle the 133 speed ram. There may be a bios setting that configures the system to use it as well.

Alternatively, try just placing one stick in and seeing if the system will recognize it.

The existing PC133 is working fine at 128 mb each...

Someone on another board said something about 8 chip ram vs 16 chip ram...

I'm gonna check with the boys at mem Express when I (hopefully) return the one I have...
Old 10-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #1194
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah there's different kinds of DVI plugs, they have different features. I'm not sure which is which though, but if you search for types of DVI maybe.
Yeah - called memoryexpress - all they have are the ones with the four pins surrounding the flat plug.

Hmm...
Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #1195
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_cables.html

That might help, looks like the one without the pins is DVI-D
Old 10-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #1196
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

So....I'm running out of space on my hard-drive....

I created 3 partitions initially....C, D, E.....D and E are just about full with pictures, music and movies.....C has around 80 gigs of free space that I could utilize.

Thing is...I don't want it in C-drive because my operating system is there, and should I need to format....everything on C-drive is usually wiped out....but my other drives are kept intact.

Is it possible to chop off 80 gigs from C-drive....that isn't being used....and add it onto D-drive? Or would I need to create an F-drive?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #1197
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
So....I'm running out of space on my hard-drive....

I created 3 partitions initially....C, D, E.....D and E are just about full with pictures, music and movies.....C has around 80 gigs of free space that I could utilize.

Thing is...I don't want it in C-drive because my operating system is there, and should I need to format....everything on C-drive is usually wiped out....but my other drives are kept intact.

Is it possible to chop off 80 gigs from C-drive....that isn't being used....and add it onto D-drive? Or would I need to create an F-drive?
That requires a re-partitioning application (like Partition Magic) and can be very risky.

Much safer to just buy another drive.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 10-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #1198
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright my on-board sound doesn't seem to be cutting it when I am playing Bioshock. Keeps cutting in and out during high action times. It's an ASUS P5K Premium. Is there anything I can do to make it work, or should I go out and buy a sound card? If so, what sound card would you guys recommend? I am running Vista, so preferably something that jives well with that.

Last edited by Burninator; 10-03-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #1199
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I finally want to try Vista out as I got a free copy with my university, but I don't want to format my hard drive with all my documents, settings and all that on XP.

I have a separate hard drive that doesn' thave any important stuff on it that I could use, but how would I be able to select which operating system to go to? Won't it just directly go to my primary drive?

Any ideas on how to do this?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #1200
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I finally want to try Vista out as I got a free copy with my university, but I don't want to format my hard drive with all my documents, settings and all that on XP.

I have a separate hard drive that doesn' thave any important stuff on it that I could use, but how would I be able to select which operating system to go to? Won't it just directly go to my primary drive?

Any ideas on how to do this?
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/showtopic25064.htm
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Closed Thread