Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 06:06 PM   #381
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge
this would be what he is talking about:

http://www.memtest86.com/
Thanks for that.

I tried to put a floppy disk in and it wouldn't let me format it. I tried four of them with the same result. I then tried to simply extract the files to the A drive and it wouldn't let me. It said: Cannot create folder A:\

My A drive is f'd?
Old 07-16-2006, 06:57 PM   #382
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bronze
Thanks for that.

I tried to put a floppy disk in and it wouldn't let me format it. I tried four of them with the same result. I then tried to simply extract the files to the A drive and it wouldn't let me. It said: Cannot create folder A:\

My A drive is f'd?
Could be. Can you remove it from the device manager and then re-boot? That will allow windows to refresh it (sort of). That description is also similar to mal-ware issues.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 07-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #383
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I understand correctly, you are asking me to essentially unplug the A drive, reboot the computer...then? Upon rebooting, plug A drive back in while it's on or turn computer off, plug it back in and then turn it on again?
Old 07-16-2006, 07:37 PM   #384
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bronze
If I understand correctly, you are asking me to essentially unplug the A drive, reboot the computer...then? Upon rebooting, plug A drive back in while it's on or turn computer off, plug it back in and then turn it on again?
Not physically unplug it. Just in the Operating system point of view.

You need to fing your "Device Manager" (Control Panel - System - Hardware Tab)

You should see 2 Sections called "floppy disk controller" and "Floppy disk Drive". If they are there, and there are coloured exclamation points or question marks then windows knows it has an issue. What you then do is right-click on the thing that has a problem and say uninstall. Then you can either reboot, or click on "Scan for hardware changes" and Windows will then "see" that there is a floppy drive and install the driver for it (I haven't seen a floppy drive windows didn't already have a driver for in a long time).

If that doesn't work, then I would guess your drive is bad (it happens) or it is a virus or other type of malware. I would do a complete virus scan using whatever I had installed, and Trendmicro's Housecall (a free online scanner). If they don't find anything, then I would find a floppy drive I know is working , and switch it the potentially bad drive. IF the new drive worked, then I know the old drive is bad and throw it out. If the new one didn't work either, then I would need to come up with some more ideas.

That should get you started. (And BTW, be careful about deleting stuff in the device manager. A lot of things you can fix the way I mentioned, but other things in there will 'break' Windows if you try to remove them. The Floppy drive & controller are safe (I just did it to be sure))
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 07-16-2006, 07:48 PM   #385
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the help Bobblehead, but no exclamation points or question marks by those in the device manager. I will try some of the other things you suggested, though.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #386
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Outlook rules

Would someone direct me as to how I can set up rules in Outlook? The Help feature doesn't seem to be of any help.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #387
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which version?

In 2000, you click on Organize, then select the Rules Wizard.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 07-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #388
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outlook 2000.

Found it, thanks.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:57 AM   #389
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:
Default font size

ooops...........forget it. Figured it out as soon as I posted here.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 07-23-2006 at 08:59 AM. Reason: found what I was looking for.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #390
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I try to start up IE and it crashes right on the spot, any ideas on how to fix it
Old 07-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #391
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

try reinstalling... or better yet... use Mozilla Firefox
Old 07-30-2006, 10:05 AM   #392
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default outlook express

When I try to open outlook express through the tools menu in firefox, I keep getting a teal colored window opening up saying "error - shutting down". It doesnt do anything else, just stays there till I close it. I can open it through the start up menu or through IE, but cant in firefox now. Not sure if someone messed with something, they say they didnt, and I didnt...so not sure whats goin on here. Any clues?
Thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 09:25 PM   #393
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone know a good hard drive partitioning tool? I'm looking to split my 120GB HD so i can dual boot linux but i need to partiton it first.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #394
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone know a good hard drive partitioning tool? I'm looking to split my 120GB HD so i can dual boot linux but i need to partiton it first.
I'm assuming this is your Windows drive as well, and you want to shring it to make room for linux? Some of the distros have a partitioning tool built in to help you in just such a circumstance. That is what I would check out first. I've also read a few good things about NTFS Resizer as well, and it is free, but I haven't had any experience with it.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 08-01-2006, 09:24 AM   #395
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think I have an older version of Partition Magic that I still use... I've had no problems with it...
Old 08-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #396
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead
I'm assuming this is your Windows drive as well, and you want to shring it to make room for linux? Some of the distros have a partitioning tool built in to help you in just such a circumstance. That is what I would check out first. I've also read a few good things about NTFS Resizer as well, and it is free, but I haven't had any experience with it.

its just gonna be my storage on the other part of the drive.. im thinking of splitting off 30GBs for linux and then use the rest as windows storage for my music/movies/etc.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #397
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
its just gonna be my storage on the other part of the drive.. im thinking of splitting off 30GBs for linux and then use the rest as windows storage for my music/movies/etc.
That makes it easy. So you are saying this is just going to be a slave drive.

Install the drive. When you go install linux, it will partition the new drive for you. If you format the other half as FAT32 then both Windows and Linux will have access to that storage.

Good luck. I'm a linux novice, but it is always good to know multiple operating systems.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 08-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #398
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And there are packages you can install to access your NTFS partition.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #399
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd
And there are packages you can install to access your NTFS partition.
Access, but I don't think you can write to them, can you?
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 08-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #400
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Too lazy to look it up, but yes, able to write to it. I think there is an 'extra' package that you can install to read/write NTFS.
Closed Thread