Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #381
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Well, it's not hypocrisy if it's completely different groups responsible for these outcomes, is it?
He's got a point. It's a fact that a large portion of Canadians voted in the Black Face PM (that also grabs female buts when he's under the impression that they are just pretty faces not working in the media) which does not reflect well on the nation. It's also a fact that a large portion of Canadians were upset and with Cherry's comments and wanted him disciplined. While I don't feel that reflects negatively on the nation we do really have to look in the mirror and ask ourselves what exactly we are standing for as this nonsense of picking and choosing what is offensive and what no based on how it suits our narratives is not cool. There is little doubt that a large portion of Canadians are major hypocrites which is unfortunate.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #382
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Well, it's not hypocrisy if it's completely different groups responsible for these outcomes, is it?

And if by society you mean most likely Budweiser Canada, the top sponsor of hockey in this country.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #383
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don Cherry hasn't said anything useful or insightful in well over a decade. As for him being fired for that rant in particular, it would be surprising if it weren't, like, the tenth time he's said something similar.

I'm surprised he didn't walk it back, though - it would have been pretty easy to say he didn't mean immigrants. He didn't say immigrants directly. He could have cast it as, "no, when I say "you people", I'm talking about everyone in the country, and saying if you enjoy our way of life here, the least you can do is pay tribute to the men and women whose sacrifice allowed you to enjoy it", or something like that. But to essentially just give a "no comment, I've had my say" is obviously going to be interpreted as "yes, you understood me correctly, and I stand by my statements"... and yeah, given his history, this being the straw that breaks the camel's back and gets him fired isn't the least bit surprising.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #384
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post

Rogers/Sportsnet knew exactly when they would fire Cherry
Yup, no doubt about that.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #385
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

But he did mean immigrants.

So hes not going to walk out back.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #386
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could he have said, "look I have noticed a good number of new Canadians are not wearing poppies and that concerns me..."? I suppose not.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #387
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its kind of a sad way to see him go. What he said was definitely wrong, and he had a chance to walk it back, but I don't think his pride would let him, and at this time in his life, he's not going to "bend the knee for anyone".

The guy has been a passionate supporter of the police and the armed forces, and he's done a ton of charity work, but he's going to be most remembered for this.

I doubt he needs the money, of gets too emotional about departing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #388
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Could he have said, "look I have noticed a good number of new Canadians are not wearing poppies and that concerns me..."? I suppose not.
He could have said a good number of Canadians, period. He would have made a great point and still be on air next week.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #389
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

Or how about I saw a lot of Canadians not wearing poppies and that concerns me.

This shouldn't have become an immigration issue at all, its not.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #390
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
So they actually framed it as mutual, but it's clear he was fired.

Optically, I agree they should have waited a day. Even ignoring Cherry's reputation, this just simply does not need to be in the news on Remembrance Day. Can't help but wonder if that was a bit strategic. Or perhaps petty?
“Further discussions”.

SN - We need you to apologize.

DC - No.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #391
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was Cherry due a bonus on the 12th or something? Surely SN could have waited until tomorrow to do the inevitable.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #392
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
He could have said a good number of Canadians, period. He would have made a great point and still be on air next week.
For sure, but as Girly noted that's not was he was getting at.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #393
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, how do you notice “new Canadians”? Are they wearing t-shirts saying, “proud new Canadian”?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #394
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

later boomer
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #395
Passe La Puck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Again, how do you notice “new Canadians”? Are they wearing t-shirts saying, “proud new Canadian”?
They look like Trudeau on Halloween, naturally.
Passe La Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #396
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
later boomer
A little too old to be a boomer.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #397
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
But he did mean immigrants. So hes not going to walk out back.
Yes, apparently so. Which is not terribly surprising for Don. And similarly, it's therefore not at all surprising or objectionable that Rogers fired him for his comments.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #398
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's got a point. It's a fact that a large portion of Canadians voted in the Black Face PM (that also grabs female buts when he's under the impression that they are just pretty faces not working in the media) which does not reflect well on the nation. It's also a fact that a large portion of Canadians were upset and with Cherry's comments and wanted him disciplined. While I don't feel that reflects negatively on the nation we do really have to look in the mirror and ask ourselves what exactly we are standing for as this nonsense of picking and choosing what is offensive and what no based on how it suits our narratives is not cool. There is little doubt that a large portion of Canadians are major hypocrites which is unfortunate.
Well, again, this is just sort of made up conjecture. What is “a large portion”? A large portion of Canadians voted in Trudeau? Alright, well the vast majority did not vote for him. Chris Brown was near the top of Billboard for Canadian album sales? That requires less than 10k album sales, that’s nobody. And again, a “large portion” Canadians wanted Cherry disciplines? The majority here did not want him fired, so how do you quantify this “large portion”?

This is just people tilting at windmills. People hating on other Canadians, calling them hypocrites, the CBC, Trudeau, etc. And ounce of critical thought, and it’s pretty clear people just having something to say and are using this to say it. How is that any better than the people you’re criticising? Now we’re dragging Canada? The country? Come on now.

One man past his expiry gets fired and suddenly Canada is at stake for some. Very bizarre.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #399
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree 100% its not an immigration issue. And that's why Cherry is gone. He should have walked his comments back. But he refused so the intent of his comments are clear. Sportsnet had no choice but to distance themselves.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #400
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

No issues with the decision to dismiss him...should have waited until the 12th. His comments were inappropriate, but delaying to recognize how much he has done for getting veterans their deserved recognition justifies having a bit of class here by SN with the dismissal.