Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the current version of CalgaryNEXT?
Yes 163 25.39%
No 356 55.45%
Undecided 123 19.16%
Voters: 642. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #621
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Show me something where I 'pump KK's shoes' the last number of months... please. If not, go back to your cave, troll.
Guys, no one is buying this pretend fight
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #622
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Show me something where I 'pump KK's shoes' the last number of months... please. If not, go back to your cave, troll.
There are just not enough eye rolls to put in a message, but three should suffice:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #623
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Guys, no one is buying this pretend fight
haha for real
Old 03-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #624
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can we take it full circle now? Does anyone else Balzac? Introducing your Cross Iron Flames!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #625
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

MOD EDIT: Knock it off.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #626
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Was Ken King successful at the Herald?
He was actually at the Calgary Sun.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #627
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sorry, but what were you expecting? A finished design right off the bat? If so, you might not fully understand how design and construction projects work. And that's okay, not everyone does.

Not to jump on this further, but I do work in this field and the production to date has been awful by any standard. This is what happens when you develop a project of this magnitude in camera, the dissenting voices should be welcomed from the beginning and it will result in a well-rounded and thoughtful project.
It is apparent to everyone (except those involved) that the concept is flawed.

Furthermore, when doing a project of this magnitude, perhaps they should look beyond local expertise and engage architectural firms which have experience in these types of projects. Based on the renderings produced, the design firm(s) they chose were unqualified.

And I won't even touch the financing model which has been debated ad nausium but is clearly leaning towards a FAIL.

The fact this took so long, should result in pink slips all around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #628
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

MOD EDIT: Stop it. Grow up.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #629
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, if there is indeed some legendary, super-awesome, alternate proposal you'd think that now would be a good time to unveil it. Ken King et al have repeatedly pooped the same turd and each time the City and the citizens have adamantly declined to step in it. If there aren't actually any better ideas, it's time to shut up and think of something better.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #630
Moderation in all things...

Exp:

Final warning: Knock off the bickering and childish behavior.

If you want to call people out, do it through PM and stop derailing the thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moderator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #631
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Not to jump on this further, but I do work in this field and the production to date has been awful by any standard. This is what happens when you develop a project of this magnitude in camera, the dissenting voices should be welcomed from the beginning and it will result in a well-rounded and thoughtful project.

Furthermore, when doing a project of this magnitude, perhaps they should look beyond local expertise and engage architectural firms which have experience in these types of projects. Based on the renderings produced, the design firm(s) they chose were unqualified.

And I won't even touch the financing model which has been debated ad nausium but is clearly leaning towards a FAIL.

Right, and I'm not involved in the production of any of the drawings, the renderings, or the selection of the design team. None of that. You'll have to look elsewhere for answers on that. I'm not connected in any way to that at all, and never have been.

I'm surprised though about the architect, since one of the designers is Rossetti, a well-known sports and entertainment designer. I would have expected better renderings from them too.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #632
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
That's not what I said. Your convenient clipping of my post changed the meaning but my overall intention may not have been clear.
It is what you said.

I got your intention (and I actually completely agree with it)... but it's still silly to hope that it comes out expensive. CS&E funding model as it's presented is quite dishonest (as is the fact that they present 100% public ownership as a positive aspect of their proposal). That's true regardless of whether the environmental assessment says it costs $5.00 or $500,000,000.00. I'm opposed to the funding model as is currently known and the environmental assessment won't change that.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #633
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'm up in Edmonton quite often. It's a fantastic facility that I get jealous of when I drive by it. At one time it was a concept as well, but now that it's being built, it's great to see. Definitely one thing they have over us is that arena going for them.
Thanks....

Old 03-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #634
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If you hope the cost comes out expensive, you guarantee that that part of downtown remains a blight pretty much until the end of time.

If it comes out cheap, it might encourage (in better economic times, at least) builders to take a look at the land. Given the total lack of support from the city towards the Flames' MS Paint renderings, that would also hurt Calgary Next's hopes.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #635
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Eloranta View Post
Thanks....

[IMG]Hotels.com beard man[/IMG]
Have you seen it?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #636
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Right, and I'm not involved in the production of any of the drawings, the renderings, or the selection of the design team. None of that. You'll have to look elsewhere for answers on that. I'm not connected in any way to that at all, and never have been.

I'm surprised though about the architect, since one of the designers is Rossetti, a well-known sports and entertainment designer. I would have expected better renderings from them too.
OMG, no kidding! http://www.rossetti.com/work/project...sports-complex
Old 03-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #637
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Have you seen it?
Yes and it drives me up the wall whenever I have to hear about it constantly from my relatives up there.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #638
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post

Rossetti is involved in the project, they are based in Detroit and are also involved in Al Ain Sports Complex in Dubai that contains an Olympic track, soccer stadium, natatorium, arena and tennis stadium. They also did TD Garden & the Canadian Tire Centre.

Perhaps judging whether a firm is qualified or not should be based on their resume not though some renderings?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #639
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Eloranta View Post
Yes and it drives me up the wall whenever I have to hear about it constantly from my relatives up there.
Must be person to person. Most Edmontonians I talk to don't wax poetic about it. I think they will when it's complete and in the public eye again though.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #640
Cyclops
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Have you seen it?
I'm working on it. The Arena might look good in the end but I might question the longevity of the building. It's a fixed budget, this was known from the start, so when they realize the the piles are going to eat up more than they estimated, they need to get that money from somewhere else in the building. If the city is going to put 400 million or whatever the number is, then why not put in 450 and ensure that the Arena is actually decent, instead they are cutting stuff out from the original plans to make it work.

It's like the Football field in Calgary, if they are going to build one the build it with enough seats to attract large scale events like the world cup.
Closed Thread