Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I don't get the Hamonic love, I really don't. He's a max-20 point guy. Allegedly he brings physical presence, but he hasn't had 100 hits in a season in five years, and has averaged less than one hit a game the last two seasons. Last year he had 44 hits. Barely once every two games.

Comparatively, Engelland had seasons of 135, 105 and 135 hits As a Flame. And Engelland has Hamonic dead to rights when it comes to fights against the Canucks.
Good defensive defencemen don't tend to get credit for lots of hits in the modern game. They get hit more by forecheckers than they hit. Engelland hit more because he got to the puck second. Hamonic usually gets to the corner first for a puck, so he gets hit. And I never thought of Hamonic as a real fighter (as opposed to a guy who would stand up for his teammates).

I don't think Hamonic has had the a good start. But when Hamonic is on he plays great positional defence, boxes out the net front well, wins puck battles and makes a good simple outlet pass. But he is better when the D side isn't all on him like when he played with Brodie or, to a lesser extent, with Hanifin. I thought he was really good with Gio, actually.

What I do think is that Andersson can successfully play Hamonic's game, but maybe with more offence. I wasn't expecting that before, when I suggested Brodie was going to be moved (because I thought Brodie's skill set was covered off better by the young guys).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #22
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Good defensive defencemen don't tend to get credit for lots of hits in the modern game. They get hit more by forecheckers than they hit. Engelland hit more because he got to the puck second. Hamonic usually gets to the corner first for a puck, so he gets hit. And I never thought of Hamonic as a real fighter (as opposed to a guy who would stand up for his teammates).

I don't think Hamonic has had the a good start. But when Hamonic is on he plays great positional defence, boxes out the net front well, wins puck battles and makes a good simple outlet pass. But he is better when the D side isn't all on him like when he played with Brodie or, to a lesser extent, with Hanifin. I thought he was really good with Gio, actually.

What I do think is that Andersson can successfully play Hamonic's game, but maybe with more offence. I wasn't expecting that before, when I suggested Brodie was going to be moved (because I thought Brodie's skill set was covered off better by the young guys).
The stats for hits on Hockey Reference only go back to 2008, but Robyn Regehr never had fewer than 120 hits a season as a Flame. You can be good defensively and still hit guys when you're in position to finish your check.

Hamonic was sold as one type of player, but he hasn't really been that guy since he's been here. Like Bouwmeester. A bunch of us, myself included, thought we were getting a Norris trophy level player. We weren't.

Don't get me wrong, Hamonic is a more than passable top-4 defenseman. It sucks we overpaid for him, and I don't want us to do it again by doing something stupid like giving him $4.5M for five years.

On the flip side, if he signs for less, he can continue to not hit people all he wants. Hamonic at $3mx4 years sounds great to me.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #23
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hanifin played very low risk, almost conservative style hockey last year. New team, new partner so one can understand it. There were flashes but he didn't show all his skills IMO.

Last game was the first time he's really opened it up and kind of dictated while on the ice. He needs to do that more and more and really be a horse out there. Offensively and defensively.

Gio talked all about the d making clean exits and making plays. The forwards have to be there for them.

Peters talked about the centres playing well last game and he's right on the money. Those positions have to drive the team - If that link is strong, CGY looks good.

Quick puck movement by the d. Smart little passes into the middle. CGY finally showed that consistently for a game. CGY was not working to get there when they needed to get there in the past. It's getting better.

The build up to Ryan's goal is a prime example:

Look at how the D pass the puck into the middle and how Ryan skate his route to make himself available first early and then late after he continues. That's the kind of play needed from the d (passing into the middle) and the forwards to be there. When the pressure is stronger they have to be able to execute these kind of plays under pressure or come up with another way to counter that pressure. People look at the finish but it's the build up of the play that CGY needs to bring back into their game, the kind of plays they did a lot of last year. Also looks like Hughes gets burned as the centre defending that goal. Again, if you're the centre and you beat your guy one on one that makes you incredibly dangerous.

Hanifin has tremendous ability and as a young guy he needs to get to the mindset that he can dominate a game whenever he wants. The sooner the better for CGY.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 11-08-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 07:54 PM   #24
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hanifin is our future #1 D-man, that trade looks better and better with each passing day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dragomir For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #25
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not too worried about whom to protect in the expansion draft. If we have so many good players to keep than protection slots, it's a good problem to have, and we can always trade a prospect and/or pick to get Seattle to choose someone else.

You never know, a first round pick at 31st overall is practically in the 2nd round.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #26
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Hanifin is our future #1 D-man, that trade looks better and better with each passing day.

I agree that it was a franchise altering deal and exactly what we needed from moving Hamilton and Ferland (Fox)
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:49 PM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The stats for hits on Hockey Reference only go back to 2008, but Robyn Regehr never had fewer than 120 hits a season as a Flame. You can be good defensively and still hit guys when you're in position to finish your check.

Hamonic was sold as one type of player, but he hasn't really been that guy since he's been here. Like Bouwmeester. A bunch of us, myself included, thought we were getting a Norris trophy level player. We weren't.

Don't get me wrong, Hamonic is a more than passable top-4 defenseman. It sucks we overpaid for him, and I don't want us to do it again by doing something stupid like giving him $4.5M for five years.

On the flip side, if he signs for less, he can continue to not hit people all he wants. Hamonic at $3mx4 years sounds great to me.
Reg played most of his career in a different type of league. Look at the list of hits for defencemen and you won’t see a lot of the usual “defensive” defencemen there. Look how many Gio has, and he’s a great defensive defenceman.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #28
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post

Valimaki and Anderson will sure make him work for that title. Kylington maybe too.

What a great problem to have.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #29
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hanifin has been absolutely ripping the puck this season. I know he was working hard on his shot this past off-season, but didn't expect him to make such strides. Very impressive. Hard to catch his release as well in TV, but live good god is he snapping it.

Excited for his development as the Flames look for him to run his own pairing and I think having confidence shown in his ability to do so will do wonders. Still has some defensive shortcomings but those will lessen with time.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #30
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Hanifin has been absolutely ripping the puck this season. I know he was working hard on his shot this past off-season, but didn't expect him to make such strides. Very impressive. Hard to catch his release as well in TV, but live good god is he snapping it.

Excited for his development as the Flames look for him to run his own pairing and I think having confidence shown in his ability to do so will do wonders. Still has some defensive shortcomings but those will lessen with time.
He's been the defenseman that I have been the less irritated with this season. He's really starting to round out as a top guy. Sky is the limit for him, I always forget that he is only 22.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote