Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #201
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know this is me being Captain Obvious but Lindholm is the most complete forward the Flames have had for a long long time.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #202
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think it is evident that this team came into the season knowing the regular season isn't important and they would be able to skate through it to the playoffs. You can see when this team is on, it is a good team. They just need to start playing with some urgency and put a full 60 minutes in. Speaks volumes that they have played as poor as they have and are more than in the thick of things. They look like they are coming out of the preseason still finding their skating legs. The Key to the season is just pick up points, which they are doing.

When they throw it to that next gear and start going, I think we will start seeing the team the Flames are supposed to be.
I largely agree but the issue is, if it wasn't for Rittich the hills would be too great to climb in terms of comebacks in games.
Why is it taking them so long to get going? Why does the passing go from ugly to good when the desperation comes on?

There are issues being masked by the late game heroics. How they are playing compared to how they (largely) played last year is quite striking at this point.

No doubt they have ability, no doubt they have great potential but this potentiality vs actuality is something the players need to figure out.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #203
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Canes fans(all five of them) insisting Lindholm had a muffin for a shot. Could he have worked on it enough to improve significantly in the 1 offseason that he was traded here? Because it looks pretty friggin lethal to me ever since he got here.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #204
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
We can talk about lines or pairings or individuals all you want but I think what this team needs most is just practices dedicated to 5v5 systems execution - breakouts, entries, and plugging up neutral ice. I don't think it's a coincidence none of our centers have been able to really get it going as that position is so dependant on tight system execution by others in order to get the open ice opportunity needed to create. Team has been freewheeling its systems so far this season.
Tough to do without any real practice time.

That's always overlooked when looking at a busy road game heavy schedule like the Flames have had.

Sure it's one thing that your guys are banged up and fatigued when they play a schedule that has them playing 16 games in 29 days, with 10 of those games on the road (and if my counting is right 16 out of 29 days on the road)

But that also means that you likely have had no practice time to actually reinforce systems execution. This team's issues this year have been consistent effort, and attention to detail/mental mistakes. Part of that is just their give a damn needing to be higher, but I do think part of that does have to do with the schedule they've had so far.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #205
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I honestly wonder if the next line combo should be Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindholm.
I also keep wondering if Monahan and Tkachuk shouldn't be the pair and Johnny and Lindholm the other one of the top 2 lines.

Chucky is as good a passer as anyone in the forward group and Mony is arguably the best finisher (prior to the start of this season)...could be magical!
Old 11-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #206
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfanatic View Post
I also keep wondering if Monahan and Tkachuk shouldn't be the pair and Johnny and Lindholm the other one of the top 2 lines.

Chucky is as good a passer as anyone in the forward group and Mony is arguably the best finisher (prior to the start of this season)...could be magical!

Only concern is the speed but may not be an issue.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #207
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Canes fans(all five of them) insisting Lindholm had a muffin for a shot. Could he have worked on it enough to improve significantly in the 1 offseason that he was traded here? Because it looks pretty friggin lethal to me ever since he got here.

He must have. His scoring picked up huge coming here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #208
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Sam Bennett does not have the skill or intellect to play on an NHL first line effectively.

Peters already gave him a shot and he couldn't last a single period.

Sam Bennett is a borderline 3rd/4th line player. Nothing more.
Peters did it for a whole game in Game 5, and it worked better than how it did all series long with the previous lineup.

Giving more period may is necessary to find out if he can be effective or not. Our top players can be #### for games, and still stay in place to try to work it out. So just because it didn't work for within one period isn't a justified reason to never try it again.

And even if Bennett is a 3rd line player (let's not be ridiculous in saying he's a forth liner. He's more effective and productive than that), he could still fit on the top 2 lines if he has good enough chemistry to compliment the two other players that moreso drive the line. We've done with Ferland, who's a 3rd liner on his own himself. So even if Bennett is as you said he is, my point still stands that it has been done, and it's worked.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #209
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I know this is me being Captain Obvious but Lindholm is the most complete forward the Flames have had for a long long time.
Except after he went Lucic-smash in Game 1 against the Avs he disappeared for the rest of the series. Hopefully he was injured after game 1.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #210
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
I think what some fans underestimate is how big a role confidence plays in sports.

Lindholm before breaking out? Doesn’t have high confidence in his own offensive abilities. Botched some shots, botched some passes. Fans judge 22 year old Lindholm as having a muffin. Lindholm gets handed a role on the 1st line I’m Calgary. Everything starts to go in. Now he’s got confidence. Now he’s picking the corner, now he’s making plays.

Carolina fans may not be wrong. Lindholm’s shot may have looked significantly worse in Carolina pre-breakout because his confidence wasn’t as high.

This where the art of scouting lies. The scouts will have seen Lindholm’s shot earlier in his career in international competitions and know he has more skill to show. Peters will have seen his shot in practice every day for years.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #211
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfanatic View Post

The problem with that and why we’ve never seen it is that Gaudreau and Monahan when together need a skilled, gritty, strong 3rd forward who’s skilled enough to play with them but gritty, strong, physical enough to win board battles and net front battles. Who fits the bill? Lindholm and Tkachuk. Ferland in the past. Nobody else really works.

Are there any duos that might work?

Tkachuk-Gaudreau
Monahan-Lindholm

But then who’s centering Tkachuk/Gaudreau?

I don’t like Tkachuk-Monahan, Gaudreau-Lindholm because of the foot speed issues that Tkachuk-Monahan would have.

Despite having 4 elite forwards because Monahan and Gaudreau play so soft they really need a Tkachuk or a Lindholm with them. This really limits the potential lineup creativity imo.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #212
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
The problem with that and why we’ve never seen it is that Gaudreau and Monahan when together need a skilled, gritty, strong 3rd forward who’s skilled enough to play with them but gritty, strong, physical enough to win board battles and net front battles. Who fits the bill? Lindholm and Tkachuk. Ferland in the past. Nobody else really works.

Are there any duos that might work?

Tkachuk-Gaudreau
Monahan-Lindholm

But then who’s centering Tkachuk/Gaudreau?

I don’t like Tkachuk-Monahan, Gaudreau-Lindholm because of the foot speed issues that Tkachuk-Monahan would have.

Despite having 4 elite forwards because Monahan and Gaudreau play so soft they really need a Tkachuk or a Lindholm with them. This really limits the potential lineup creativity imo.
Crazy, but:

Tkachuk, Monahan, Backlund
Gaudreau, Lindholm, Bennett (or Mangiapane)

This gives Monahan another two-way centre playing on his wing like presently has with Lindholm, who skates smoothly, passes pretty well and has a high IQ. Tkachuk provides grit (and Backlund can play that way too).
It also can keep Backlund's minutes up especially if they have to match a top line.

It gives Gaudreau a two way centre with grit, plus a hardworking winger who can skate. And again, with Bennett and Mangiapane plus Lindholm, two way play is covered.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #213
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Donald Douglas Waddell (born August 19, 1958) is American professional ice hockey executive and former player. He is the president and general manager of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Thank you sir
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #214
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Crazy, but:

Tkachuk, Monahan, Backlund
Gaudreau, Lindholm, Bennett (or Mangiapane)

I like that, would be worth a try if they get in another funk.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #215
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I'm thinking that the reason Johnny and Monny haven't been clicking as much lately is because we don't have a dangerous second line anymore. Teams can just focus on shutting down the top line and only really have to worry about Tkachuk beyond that.

Which is why I would keep Johnny and Monny together, but pair up Lindholm and Tkachuck on a permanent basis. Force teams to have to split up their top checkers against us again. If they focus on Johnny/Monny, then Lindholm/Chucky should be able to go to work... and vice versa.

Having two really solid pairs with great chemistry would also lessen the downfall of having to play third/fourth line guys with them too.

Gaudreau Monahan (Someone)
Mangiapane Lindholm Tkachuk
(Someone) Backlund Bennett
Lucic Ryan (Someone)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post: