Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #10061
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

We will never know how good our defence is till we get a coach that knows how to utilize them. But we have lots of depth so I expect to see at least two gone this summer
The Following User Says Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #10062
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Typically I agree but there is something about Hamilton that I think we would be better off using him as an asset to improve the scoring than he be the player we build our blueline around. It is hard for me to describe but something about that player doesn’t sit right with me. I guess I don’t like the cut of his jib

Boston seems to be surviving and doing ok without him
Old 04-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #10063
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, but they need D who can stop the other team from scoring. I don't see how Hamilton or Brodie help them with that. They'd certainly be interested in Hamonic, and word is they were one of the other teams bidding on him last summer. But turning around and trading Hamonic for less than he spent on him a year ago wouldn't be a good look for Treliving.
Depends on what you get I guess. If you get an age appropriate Right shot right winger that you desperately need, and under team control for the near future, and a spot for one or two of the farm hands dmen, and your team is better for it, then I think it's a pretty good look.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #10064
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching the leafs in their own end tells me that Hamilton is not who they need. Who they need is either Giordano or Hamonic. We know they went after Hamonic hard last year. If Treliiving can break even on assets with a Hamonic trade to the Leafs, he should do it.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #10065
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Watching the leafs in their own end tells me that Hamilton is not who they need. Who they need is either Giordano or Hamonic. We know they went after Hamonic hard last year. If Treliiving can break even on assets with a Hamonic trade to the Leafs, he should do it.
Kapanen for Hamonic?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 04-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #10066
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am okay with trading Brodie. Not okay with trading Hamilton.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #10067
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Kapanen for Hamonic?
He said break even, not lose badly.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #10068
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I am okay with trading Brodie. Not okay with trading Hamilton.
I am the opposite. These players don’t get the same return, and in improving a club, the return is what matters

I don’t think Brodie gets the Flames the return they need to fix the problems they have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #10069
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I am the opposite. These players don’t get the same return, and in improving a club, the return is what matters

I don’t think Brodie gets the Flames the return they need to fix the problems they have.
I understand but I think Hamilton is part of the solution.

24 year old, big, 50 point dman. He hasn't even reached his prime yet. I think he will be a Top 3 dman in the league a few years from now.

Brodie is no worse than Larsson who got Hall.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #10070
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He said break even, not lose badly.
What do you think you are getting for a #4 defensive dman with inconsistent and unreliable gap control?

Kapanen would very much be a break even and could seriously help our top nine forward group. He's been underused on a very good Leafs forward core but has legitimate skill, speed and upside.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 04-15-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #10071
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
While I agree with this, the Hall-Larsson trades don't happen all that often for a variety of reasons. And especially not as lop-sided as that.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #10072
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I understand but I think Hamilton is part of the solution.

24 year old, big, 50 point dman. He hasn't even reached his prime yet. I think he will be a Top 3 dman in the league a few years from now.

Sure, everybody keeps repeating his offensive stats.

Other people are concerned you can’t teach compete, see him let Evander Kane breeze into the slot and score, and think you may consider selling high on an asset that other teams value, in exchange for a top line winger

You bring up the Hall trade? There are only so many Oilers teams in the league to devalue an asset and bungle a trade so badly. Oh crap. Brodie has fallen off a cliff and is a -16 two years running under Gulutzan. The more likely scenario is that we are on the wrong side of that trade. Somebody trades us their garbage for Brodie, then Brodie improves, and they use your example to say that a similar garbage player has value because he returned Brodie.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #10073
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
If the Flames are talking to Toronto, my ask would be Marner over Nylander. Duhatschek suggested a similar trade on the Athletic a few weeks back. Leafs fans balked, but if you're paying attention to the price of quality (and in this case, near elite D) the price is steep.

That said, I would move a number of other D before I move Dougie, unless the return is next to impossible to say 'no' to.
Absolutely agree regarding Marner I prefer him to Nylander as well. The fact he and Tkachuk already have played together and had incredible chemistry also makes him more enticing.

I feel Toronto would prefer to move Nylander though as he needs to be paid this summer. Marner still has anither year on his ELC so Toronto has another year of salary flexibility. Marner being a good Ontario boy also plays into why I think they would keep him over Nylander. Both are incredibly skilled right shot forwards the Flames need.

I want the Flames to target another core forward to go with Monahan, Gaudreau, and Tkachuk. Hamilton is the only guy on our roster that has the value to bring that piece back.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #10074
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
While I agree with this, the Hall-Larsson trades don't happen all that often for a variety of reasons. And especially not as lop-sided as that.
I think if the leafs get blown out in 4 games, they might trade Nylander for Brodie.

I also think Montreal could be a good fit and Rangers.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #10075
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Boston seems to be surviving and doing ok without him
Boston got extremely lucky drafting McAvoy and Carlo. I am hopeful Valimaki, Fox, Andersson, Kylington can do that for the the Flames if they move Dougie
Old 04-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #10076
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I think if the leafs get blown out in 4 games, they might trade Nylander for Brodie.

I also think Montreal could be a good fit and Rangers.
Come on, man. 8th overall pick puts up 20 goals and 60 points at 21, and the Leafs trade him for Brodie?

No. That’s ####ing silly
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #10077
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Leafs will we see what they can do in free agency first.

Why trade a top young forward for Hamilton or Brodie when you might be able to sign Carlson or De Haan and keep the top young forward?
Old 04-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #10078
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Kapanen for Hamonic?
At the draft the leafs offered their 1st & JVR for Hamonic.

Not a snow balls chance the flames take kapanen straight up. Thrown in the leafs first & you can start the conversation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #10079
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, everybody keeps repeating his offensive stats.

Other people are concerned you can’t teach compete, see him let Evander Kane breeze into the slot and score, and think you may consider selling high on an asset that other teams value, in exchange for a top line winger

You bring up the Hall trade? There are only so many Oilers teams in the league to devalue an asset and bungle a trade so badly. Oh crap. Brodie has fallen off a cliff and is a -16 two years running under Gulutzan. The more likely scenario is that we are on the wrong side of that trade. Somebody trades us their garbage for Brodie, then Brodie improves, and they use your example to say that a similar garbage player has value because he returned Brodie.
You don't think Karlsson and Burns don't/didn't make those mistakes? They both make stupid plays all the time but doesn't mean they are bad players.

As for Brodie, I don't think teams will be bidding low on him. I think there will still be GMs who think he can be a Top 2 guy on their team. Factor in the friendly contract and he makes a great option for many teams.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #10080
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Boston got extremely lucky drafting McAvoy and Carlo. I am hopeful Valimaki, Fox, Andersson, Kylington can do that for the the Flames if they move Dougie
They drafted 9 times in the first 2 rounds in a 2 year period and got 3 players out of it.

Calgarypuck: "They got lucky!"

Sometimes I think flames fans get the team they deserve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread