Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #261
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
If the Flames lose to the Jets, and do not get the first overall pick, they do stand a better shot at getting Dawson Mercer, which would be a great consolation prize.
Flames top off a stunning Cup win by selecting at #31, the Calgary kid with the best name in the draft, RW Ozzy Wiesblatt.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #262
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just like what's happening in the MLB and NBA with players declining to participate in the start/resumption of their seasons, there's surely going to be players that opt out of the resumption of the NHL season, which will only further damage the validity of the Stanley Cup winner.

The worst thing that could happen is a significant player deciding not to play. Especially on a team that's a favorite to win
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #263
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I think that since 2000:

Senators - 10
Canadiens - 8
Canucks 7
Flames - 4
Oilers - 4
Maple Leafs - 4 (all early 2000s, with one run accounting for half - zero playoff round wins since 2003-04 lockout)
Jets - 2

Eugene Melnyk sucks, but the management of the Senators has been good - they just can't hold onto their good players for long periods of time. The biggest mistake that they have made was letting Chara go in favour of Redden.

I betcha Chara has been counting his lucky stars ever since.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #264
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
If the Flames lose to the Jets, and do not get the first overall pick, they do stand a better shot at getting Dawson Mercer, which would be a great consolation prize.
I find it strange that we aren't talking more about this kid-skating, skill, hands,and a touch of power in his game. Kid's got it all. I would not be surprised to see him go top-10, but IMO he's better than most prospects that are mentioned here regularly, including Quinn, Gunler, Amirov, and Jarvis.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #265
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I find it strange that we aren't talking more about this kid-skating, skill, hands,and a touch of power in his game. Kid's got it all. I would not be surprised to see him go top-10, but IMO he's better than most prospects that are mentioned here regularly, including Quinn, Gunler, Amirov, and Jarvis.
Shhhhhh....
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #266
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I have him pegged top 9 at lowest maybe 12 so I never really talked about him honestly because I didn't think thered be a chamce at him either way the coin flips for the Flames. I focused mainly on players in the range that the Flames would be picking i.e 16th. And even then just the ones I found personally interesting. Guys like Mercer, Perfetti, Rossi, Holtz and Raymond just were too high up to consider.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #267
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Mercer went #13 in the CPHL Draft this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #268
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Flames top off a stunning Cup win by selecting at #31, the Calgary kid with the best name in the draft, RW Ozzy Wiesblatt.

Ozzy's got a great motor and superb offensive instincts.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:53 PM   #269
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Ozzy's got a great motor and superb offensive instincts.
That's just a bonus compared to the value of his name.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:56 PM   #270
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I have him pegged top 9 at lowest maybe 12 so I never really talked about him honestly because I didn't think thered be a chamce at him either way the coin flips for the Flames. I focused mainly on players in the range that the Flames would be picking i.e 16th. And even then just the ones I found personally interesting. Guys like Mercer, Perfetti, Rossi, Holtz and Raymond just were too high up to consider.
Yeah, that makes sense. I've seen him slip to the middle of the first round in a few mock drafts, but not for a while now-moreso earlier in the season.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:11 PM   #271
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

this is going to sound nuts but, for some reason, I have a sense that the Flames are going to go on an absolutely massive tear if they actually do this post-season thing. Like... finals or win it all kinda thing.

I have literally no reason to make this prediction either, but I could see it happening almost because it is just so unlikely and would be so ridiculous (so, you know, Flames). If Rittich plays at the top of his game and Johnny / Monny are feeling it... they are a great team. I dunno, that's the frustrating thing about Calgary it feels like they are either one of the absolute best or literally bottom 5 team. Zero consistency to this group.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 11:57 PM   #272
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m with you Mr Coffee. Gut instinct on how this team has been and is ready.

And even if we are wrong, I’m happy I’m so optimistic than some people going into this. Hope is a building ground of why we are here guys.

Also, I feel like people forget how well we do in this post season may reflect on how much a player like Hall wants to sign with us.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:15 AM   #273
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No audience plus away games plus glut of nhl defensemen and a million question marks feels like the perfect storm for these guys to sneak in and do something crazy.

I think if they solve winnipeg early then they go on a deep run.

But all depends on if it even happens........
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 12:43 AM   #274
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
No audience plus away games plus glut of nhl defensemen and a million question marks feels like the perfect storm for these guys to sneak in and do something crazy.

I think if they solve winnipeg early then they go on a deep run.

But all depends on if it even happens........
Hey that's half the attitude we need around here!

It's going to happen, Rittich is going to show his worth as a starter. I am pumped.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:30 AM   #275
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning towards being okay with the Flames being in that play-in loser lottery.

Normally being in the playoff bubble / first round fodder section of the NHL standings is a frustrating place to be in. 0-3% odds of a Stanley Cup, 0-3% odds of a top 3 draft pick.

I don't think there were any Flames fans down the stretch saying "I'd rather have those 2 percent odds at a top 3 draft pick over playoff hockey". Because in all likelihood, theres a 98 percent chance we would get the 14th overall pick and no playoffs. A lose-lose.

This year is now different. 12.5% odds of the first overall pick is better than any of the play-in teams Stanley Cup odds.

To add to that, from a fan perspective, this Stanley Cup has a lot less value. Nobody's working downtown. No C of Red. A limited Red Mile. No fans booing Bettman. No Stanley Cup parade. From an achievement standpoint, there is no asterisk next to this years cup (in my opinion). There is a huge asterisk from a fan experience perspective.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:47 AM   #276
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
From an achievement standpoint, there is no asterisk next to this years cup (in my opinion). There is a huge asterisk from a fan experience perspective.
This is my one reservation.

I'm sure I would still go insane during a lengthy Flames playoff run, but there's no question for me; it would be hugely disappointing being unable to attend the home games.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:47 AM   #277
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be a very flames thing to do to go on a run to win it while we cant enjoy a proper red mile
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #278
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
This is my one reservation.

I'm sure I would still go insane during a lengthy Flames playoff run, but there's no question for me; it would be hugely disappointing being unable to attend the home games.
Yea, that’s why I can’t into it, I am a STH and attend about 20-25 games. For TV games I just PVR them and watch them in an hour or so.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #279
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Exactly. 100%

On top of being even more difficult to win this year, the added fact that whoever wins won't enjoy it nearly as much or get nearly as much respect from other fanbases makes this a much easier thought process for me
Not sure if this has been pointed out, but that is fairly contradictory... How can something be more difficult to achieve than it previously has been but at the same time the achievement will be respected less? It is one or the other, the more difficult the achievement the more respect it earns you, and vice versa.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #280
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Exactly. 100%

On top of being even more difficult to win this year, the added fact that whoever wins won't enjoy it nearly as much or get nearly as much respect from other fanbases makes this a much easier thought process for me
Why do some of you think that winning the Stanley Cup will be more difficult this year?

Is it because of the play-in round? I would dispute that, since this five-game series serves as a replacement of a much more grueling 12-game grind down the stretch, with travel extended over a five-week period of time.

Is it because for the first time in living memory every team will enter the playoffs completely healthy and well rested? I guess that could make things more difficult for some teams, but leveling the playing field will also prove to make things easier for others. It just depends on the team.

I don't think I agree that winning the 2020 Stanley Cup will be any more difficult than it has ever been.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote