Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2020, 08:58 PM   #961
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hopefully there is some lawn experts here...

Took care of my thatch raking and fertilizing a couple weeks back. After that had a contractor in completing a fence and deck install. There was quite a bit of moisture and activity in the yard so naturally the yard is looking pretty rough. It’s very thin and trampled in many spots. What’s the best process to get my lawn back in shape? I understand overseeding is pretty common and recommended in early fall. Is this an option now... or any other suggestions?
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #962
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Overseeding will work now, followed by fertilizer and lots of watering.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 08:59 AM   #963
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Yes - I meant to say Aspen. Just tried to quickly add to the end of the post since I knew that would be the default suggestion. We already tried doing that and the trees all died and honestly I don't like the trees themselves that much.

Agreed that I didn't clearly define my needs, which was why I was hoping I could get recommendations on a professional to figure out my needs. Privacy is the key, but I want to avoid anything too large so its easier to maintain. I also want to take up as little space as I can since the backyard is not big to begin with.
I think any average landscaper can suggest columnar plant solutions. But the other options you might want to be looking at are are more structural like fence upgrades, deck railings with opaque glass and perhaps other structures like pergolas?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:16 AM   #964
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Overseeding will work now, followed by fertilizer and lots of watering.
How long after overseeding should you wait to apply fertilizer?
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #965
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I know someone who has had one for a while (5-10 years?). They think it's kinda stupid. One of the other types of apple branches died so he's left with the 2 types. The other type of apple is also just the one singular branch that was grafted on while the rest of the tree is the base apple tree that was grafted to. The other type of apple was so different, the branch constantly sticks out like a sore thumb vs the rest of the tree. The bark, leaves, flowers and fruit are completely different to the main tree. The guy was saying he was thinking about pruning off that branch.

That being said, I don't know if the modern versions of these have addressed this issue. But IMO, I'd just buy the one type of fruit unless I had the only tree around and needed some type of cross pollination. I guess it'd be kinda cool if I didn't know the other types were there until I randomly had a few fruits that were a different type of color? But I don't think this is necessarily the case with the ones that are out there.
Yeah, I get that, but the purpose of two apples on one tree is that apples needs to cross-pollinate in order to flower. If there isn't another apple tree within 300 feet or so, it won't make apples. So if you only have room for one tree (like me), then you need to get one with two kinds of apples (or confirm a neighbour has one).

I never really considered that two different apple branches might look stupid. That's a good point.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:48 AM   #966
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
How long after overseeding should you wait to apply fertilizer?
if it is a slow release fertilizer, I'd do it the same day.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #967
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
Yeah, I get that, but the purpose of two apples on one tree is that apples needs to cross-pollinate in order to flower. If there isn't another apple tree within 300 feet or so, it won't make apples. So if you only have room for one tree (like me), then you need to get one with two kinds of apples (or confirm a neighbour has one).

I never really considered that two different apple branches might look stupid. That's a good point.
Have been doing some research because we think we have one in our front yard. Apparently grafted plants don't do a very good job of...living. Sometimes one graft will die and you're left with two, or just the main plant.
Probably best to stick with the way nature intended.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #968
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post

If the branches look similar, it's fine. But the one the guy had, one was a reddish brownish bark color with wider/larger leaves grafted to the other which was a yellowish green bark with smaller leaves. I guess it wasn't as apparent when the tree was a twig, but got way more apparent as time went on. It was just straight up jarring how different the two were and the guy was kinda miffed that the grafted branch of a different which was also yellowish green bark was the one that didn't survive.

I guess in theory if the different branch takes, it would be less weird if you started grafting more branches to the tree so that it doesn't have a singular weird branch? But that's quite a bit of work.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #969
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any decent online landscaping programs out there ?

I need to sketch up a few options for a small tiered wall for my front lawn.

Not a retaining wall, just a couple of layers of bricks to surround a tree on a sloped lawn. It will be covered with mulch when complete.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #970
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I removed the driveway and parking pad from my yard this weekend and now I want to fill the area with grass. The combined area is ~1000 sqft. I plan to do all the work myself, starting with new topsoil to build the area up first.

For the experts out there, is it worth trying to seed the grass or should I just bite the bullet and pay extra for the sod. I want to be able to stand on the grass within a month without getting muddy.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #971
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A month is a bit tight for seeds. You certainly won't be doing the grass any favours by walknig on it then.Whatever you choose, think of drainage, and take the time with a hand tamper or roller and pack it nice and smooth.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #972
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sod it is then.
Seeded grass takes a season of TLC to get established
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #973
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can seed in the fall and give it some love, and by the time mid spring rolls around it'll be fine.

I seeded a section 2 weeks ago, and it is just starting to pop up.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #974
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Somewhat related to gardening: I have a pretty large dracaena frangrans burley (corn plant) in my house that needs to be repotted. It's about 7 feet tall now (it was a table plant when I bought the thing 4 years ago), and I don't think I can do it myself. Is there a local company that offers this kind of service for residential? Or does anyone have any tips on how I can manage this without killing it?

Last edited by Nyah; 05-18-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:07 PM   #975
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

I live out in the country and I am developing my firepit area. This is the preliminary design for my outdoor bar. This is only conceptual, so it will look a bit different - ie - bracing for the posts, etc. And yes, there will be a hitching rail for the horses I should have it completed next week hopefully, so I'll post a picture of the finished product. The bottom picture is what it looks like now - besides the bar, I still have pavers to install.

Last edited by Shin Pad; 05-19-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #976
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Somewhat related to gardening: I have a pretty large dracaena frangrans burley (corn plant) in my house that needs to be repotted. It's about 7 feet tall now (it was a table plant when I bought the thing 4 years ago), and I don't think I can do it myself. Is there a local company that offers this kind of service for residential? Or does anyone have any tips on how I can manage this without killing it?
Golden Acres has a planting service. How it works now with COVID I am not sure.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:52 AM   #977
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like a roof over the firepit, open-end timber frame same as your saloon. Nothing beats sitting around a fire when its pouring rain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #978
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What did you use to create the sketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
I live out in the country and I am developing my firepit area. This is the preliminary design for my outdoor bar. This is only conceptual, so it will look a bit different - ie - bracing for the posts, etc. And yes, there will be a hitching rail for the horses I should have it completed next week hopefully, so I'll post a picture of the finished product. The bottom picture is what it looks like now - besides the bar, I still have pavers to install.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #979
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
What did you use to create the sketch ?

Autocad/Autodesk AEC collection

Last edited by Shin Pad; 05-20-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:19 AM   #980
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where's the hitching rail? You promised!!
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies