Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #881
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm battling CBF as well. I've been going out and weeding any visible leaves every week, trying to pull up as much of the runners as I can. It still feels like I'm not any further ahead of it, and it sounds like the surface runners are supported by a deeper network of hidden roots.
Has anyone tried a triclopyr herbicide on it? I usually only use herbicides as a last result, but I'm tempted in this instance.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #882
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’m all ears with the CBF. I’ve got a massive problem with it. I’ve been excavating a new brick pathway recently and the roots are sometimes 7-8” deep. And they are fa, they look like carrots.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #883
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
ok talk to me like I'm a total novice, because I've literally never planted anything before. Ever.

I want to add some lilac bushes to our back yard along a patio fence. It's about 10 feet long the fence. So I'm going to dig up all the ####ty grass, put down some brick as a border or stone, put in some topsoil I guess? Then... where do I get lilac bushes from? Do I plant seeds? Get some juvenile bushes?
Lilacs are pretty simple and low maintenance. The more sun, the better, of course, they tend not to flower if they're shaded and/or very dry. Lilacs are one of my favorite smells. After flowering, they're just green. If you have 10 feet, 2-3 would be plenty. The ones I have here just grow in the ####ty clay soil I have and do just fine.
You can get them just about anywhere, from a home center to proper garden stores. There are a few different colored flowers, but white and blue are most common. Expect them to get 6-15' tall if you let them.

They smell like springtime to me. I grew up with one outside my bedroom window - absolutely glorious scent when they flower.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #884
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a big Creeping Bellflower invasion at my first house because an adjacent house behind me's yard was basically totally taken over by it.

Roundup ended up being the key. Went scorched earth on it (used a paintbrush for any near plants I like) and it worked like a charm. Didn't come back even after 2 years.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #885
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
Can Killex spread through the air and kill neighbors' plants, roses etc. like Roundup can? I'm looking at hitting the dandelions in my lawn with the concentrate applied via pump sprayer.
I did the Killex attached to my hose a few weeks ago, got some spray on other things, nothing happened. Dose makes the poison.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #886
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have any experience with "Later's Chickweed, Clover, and Thistle Killer"? I was in Golden Acre and asked for some advice for spot-treating thistles that I can't seem to keep up with that are coming from my neighbour's yard. He recommended a 500ml bottle of this stuff. Was pricey, but I was in a bit of a hurry, so I took his word for it.

Upon reading a bit more, I knew it was a concentrate, but I didn't realize the extent. If I mix a 1 litre spray bottle, it suggests just 6 millilitres of this stuff. I will literally never use it all, and I don't want or need to spray my entire lawn.

Yes, I should have just bought roundup or a similar spot treatment, and yes, I should have paid more attention. But now I'm trying to weigh out my sunk cost of time as it is quite a trek to go back there, but... $40 for a lifetime supply of thistle killer, if this stuff is any good, might just be worth it.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #887
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If 6ml is good, 100ml is better. You will get through it in no time!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #888
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Got it at Countryside in DeWinton. It was about 5 feet tall when we planted it the week after May Long weekend and it’s just reached 6’. The lighter green is all new growth so it’s gotten quite a bit wider as well.

I think that they’d be delicate to dig up and transport as large caliber trees but yeah, once established are supposed to be pretty hardy. I have heard they can be intolerant to pollution though.

Spoiler!

Added a dog for scale.
Awesome little corner you having going there. Those columnar aspens are going to grow so fast and look awesome.

I wish more people planted more trees. I almost want to guerrilla plant some trees on some properties in my neighbourhood. Like, take a couple hours, buy some trees, and line your fence. It's nuts people don't do that.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #889
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have some patches with dead grass cuz the last person who owned our home basically didnt give AF about the grass in the front.

should i just dig up the small patches and seed? try and shove in small patches of sod?
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #890
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I have some patches with dead grass cuz the last person who owned our home basically didnt give AF about the grass in the front.

should i just dig up the small patches and seed? try and shove in small patches of sod?
I had a lot of winter kill on my lawn this past winter, not sure if snow mould or what. I used this product and it worked like a charm.

https://www.scotts.com/en-us/product...-sun-and-shade

I first scratched up the dead area with a hand rake, then put down a bit of top soil, shook some of that Scott's stuff on with a little extra grass seed, covered with a little more top soil, and made sure it was wet until it germinated.

In two weeks, the patches had filled in beautifully.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #891
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Awesome little corner you having going there. Those columnar aspens are going to grow so fast and look awesome.

I wish more people planted more trees. I almost want to guerrilla plant some trees on some properties in my neighbourhood. Like, take a couple hours, buy some trees, and line your fence. It's nuts people don't do that.
Just remember that those aspens will spread their roots everywhere...

I have a few 50 footers in my backyard and I'm constantly cutting out sprouts where the roots are expanding into my back yard.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #892
Crazy Flamer
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last week, I had a guy come and remove some sod from my back yard. The space wasn't that big, he just did it manually with a shovel. My plan is to now lay down some landscaping fabric, make a path with some concrete pavers I have and cover the rest with some mulch.

Before I put down the landscaping fabric, do I need to pack down the soil with any tamping tools? My yard does have a slope to it. And I will be using sand where I'm placing the pavers.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #893
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Flamer View Post
Last week, I had a guy come and remove some sod from my back yard. The space wasn't that big, he just did it manually with a shovel. My plan is to now lay down some landscaping fabric, make a path with some concrete pavers I have and cover the rest with some mulch.

Before I put down the landscaping fabric, do I need to pack down the soil with any tamping tools? My yard does have a slope to it. And I will be using sand where I'm placing the pavers.
For pavers you should put 3 -4 inches of gravel and then some sand for levelling. Otherwise the pavers will lift and shift next spring.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8b5ro2dIta7cWt
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #894
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also a great time to put away any dead bodies you have.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #895
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Landscaping fabric is garbage. Skip it.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #896
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

I wish more people planted more trees. I almost want to guerrilla plant some trees on some properties in my neighborhood. Like, take a couple hours, buy some trees, and line your fence. It's nuts people don't do that.
Spoiler!

After having two apple trees at the last place we rented I was anti trees in our new house but after all the new townhouses down the block had their yards done with trees I'm thinking of a smaller tree in the front (Still nothing in the back) my question is we have the utility boxes on our property line does anyone know any issues with planting up there and how far away etc. Also any ideas what to do on the right side of the house? Left is rock, deck in back with retaining wall going up to reduce hill and grass. I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited by Raekwon; 07-08-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:54 AM   #897
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have three tomatoes plants in pots in my backyard, and I move them around for sun exposure, but I've noticed that ants have moved in and are taking soil out and stacking it next to the pots. Maybe a weird question since ants would be in the ground if I had actually planted the tomatoes, but should I do anything about this? Are they going to destroy my tomatoes plants?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 AM   #898
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get some diatomaceous earth and dump it in there. I wouldn't want ants on my tomato plants. We had them once and they will eat the fruit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 AM   #899
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't know what that was and just assumed it was a fancy word for clay. Thanks though, I'll look into that product (I did google it now and see it isn't clay).
Old 07-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #900
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it was just clay I would have already dumped it on your lawn for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies