Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #901
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you add that side handle to the lid of the WSM or is the bigger one? I only have one on the top and it broke off last time I used it.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:42 AM   #902
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between the WSM and the pellet grills, what is the more practical (and more used) of the two? I'm contemplating a WSM as I don't have room for a pellet, but with two toddlers don't think I have a lot of time for low and slow.

Ever run a WSM unattended?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #903
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

That’s the 22.5” model that has the side handle. The pellets are nice it’s just set it and forget it and give a nice flavour but I do think the WSM gives a deeper smoke flavour and produces a better bark.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #904
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
That’s the 22.5” model that has the side handle. The pellets are nice it’s just set it and forget it and give a nice flavour but I do think the WSM gives a deeper smoke flavour and produces a better bark.
Will agree, the stick burning does give more intense flavor, but it definitely takes tending to, even with the Kamado (which should get easier to control with time and residue build up). I think that a device like the firebox with fan control is invaluable if you are going to do long cooks over wood. But this pellet is just so damn convenient. Everything coming off of it has been so good, burgers, wings, roasts. I need to do a long smoke of something, a brisket or a big shoulder and see how it compares to the long smokes I've done on the kamado to get a good idea
Old 09-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #905
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Holy crap Gundo, looks like you need a bigger deck for all those amazing things!

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 09-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #906
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK this Weber addiction syndrome is real...I found an open box WSM 18.5 (unused, unregistered) at a BigBox retailer for $199. I figure that's a decent entry point into the world of charcoal...

I figure I'll work my way up the proteins - start out with a few cuts of poultry, then maybe ribs.

At some point I'd love a wifi temp controller for reasons of practicality. Anyone have thoughts on a CyberQ vs a Flame boss 300 wifi to send me an alarm if temps drop (ie no fuel or it falls over for some reason). The CyberQ only seems to send you a SMS which is a lot weaker than an alarm blaring on your phone via an app...
Old 09-26-2018, 06:32 AM   #907
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
OK this Weber addiction syndrome is real...I found an open box WSM 18.5 (unused, unregistered) at a BigBox retailer for $199. I figure that's a decent entry point into the world of charcoal...

I figure I'll work my way up the proteins - start out with a few cuts of poultry, then maybe ribs.

At some point I'd love a wifi temp controller for reasons of practicality. Anyone have thoughts on a CyberQ vs a Flame boss 300 wifi to send me an alarm if temps drop (ie no fuel or it falls over for some reason). The CyberQ only seems to send you a SMS which is a lot weaker than an alarm blaring on your phone via an app...
This one here is another option of a similar thing. I was considering getting one for my Kamado so I can have it a little more hands-off than it currently is. I haven't looked at feature lists vs. price or whats included to know whats the best deal.

https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireb...1-thermometer/
Old 10-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #908
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Since we're all out in the middle of nowhere for thanksgiving we decided to throw a pig on our offset smoker for Thanksgiving dinner!

Last edited by indes; 10-06-2018 at 01:24 PM.
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #909
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That looks amazing!

Coming up this next week I'm going to smoke a turkey on Apple pellets, a ham on sugar maple wood. Should be a good cook!
Old 10-07-2018, 12:23 AM   #910
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

I love the iGrill 2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

Ribs are always a crowd pleaser.

Amazingribs.com has a wealth of amazing recipes, techniques and product reviews. Trust Meathead
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #911
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathalete View Post
I love the iGrill 2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

Ribs are always a crowd pleaser.

Amazingribs.com has a wealth of amazing recipes, techniques and product reviews. Trust Meathead
Amen to this. I bought an iGrill2 on clearance from Amazon back in the fall and it's been awesome. I'm mad I wasted $30-40 on cheapie ThermoProbe units from Amazon that were garbage. Should have just gone Weber from the start.

That said - ebates.ca is rebating 8% on all Amazon purchases today. Makes the CyberQ Cloud $370 today. Silly expensive but couldn't resist....
Old 04-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #912
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Am looking to buy a Daniel Boone Green Mountain Grill. I see a few people have been happy with their's so far.

However I have read a few reviews online regarding paint peeling and other issues. Just wondering if any GMG owners here have had any major issues with their's so far?

Thanks!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #913
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Am looking to buy a Daniel Boone Green Mountain Grill. I see a few people have been happy with their's so far.

However I have read a few reviews online regarding paint peeling and other issues. Just wondering if any GMG owners here have had any major issues with their's so far?

Thanks!
Mine is a little over a year old, no issues whatsoever, looks like the day I bought it.

Make sure to buy the cover, and head over to Princess Auto and pick up a cheap welding blanket, I drape mine in the blanket to reduce pellet usage.

I have the wifi model, the wifi/app is a little flakey, but still useful.

I had some issues with temp control, phoned tech support on a sunday, and spoke to a real person within minutes and got the issue sorted (they provided the wrong instructions in the box for the drip tray installation, which messed up the thermocouple. Customer service is excellent.

My only complaint is that I get a lot of smoke around the door flange. I was going to pick up some oven gasket and see if I can seal it up a little better.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #914
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Beauty! Thanks gasman. I have been humming and hawing about getting one for a bit now but I think I am going to take the plunge today!

Cheers
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #915
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What are people's opinions on the best camping BBQ? Keeping in mind portability and ease of use. Right now I'm considering the Weber Q line or the Coleman RoadTrip line. I've read some things about evenness of heat with the RoadTrips which has me leaning towards the Weber, but can't decide between the Q1000 or Q2200.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #916
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
What are people's opinions on the best camping BBQ? Keeping in mind portability and ease of use. Right now I'm considering the Weber Q line or the Coleman RoadTrip line. I've read some things about evenness of heat with the RoadTrips which has me leaning towards the Weber, but can't decide between the Q1000 or Q2200.
Not at home so I can't double check but I'm pretty sure I have the Q2000 or Q2200. Got it for my birthday last year. We generally used a small Weber Charcoal grill when we camp, but with the fire / charcoal restrictions getting more frequent every year, we needed a good gas alternative.

It takes a bit to get up to heat, but works great for a portable grill. Heat is fairly even, and the single burner is big enough that there isn't a huge cold spot anywhere. Actually used it as a small portable heater in the morning one time last year as we woke up to -4C at one point (in August in Oregon wtf?).

We've done (precooked) ribs, steak, shrimp, hot dogs, burgers and chicken all with no issues. Would definitely recommend.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gallione11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #917
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the Weber Baby Q but don't think I would buy it again given the choice. When I was looking I had narrowed it down to the Weber and the Broil King Porta Chef. In hindsight I wish I would have gone with the Broil King. While the Weber is a solid unit quality wise and I love the cast iron grill I find it cooks at a lower heat than I'm used to and I have trouble grilling meats, and steak in particular. I cannot sear things, it looks like the steak has been boiled rather than grilled. maybe it's the style of cooking I am used to but for me the Weber doesn't match my style.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #918
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My wife finally caved, and I bought the Weber Genesis II E330 last week.

https://www.weber.com/CA/en/grills/g.../61022001.html

I love it. It's so easy to use, it gets hot like a mofo quickly and stays that way. Grilling area is all even, and so damned easy to clean. Not to mention it look beautiful too.

I will be bbqing all summer/fall and even winter if i can. lol
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #919
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post

Thanks!
I had the paint peel on mine and they sent me a new one, other than that I love everything about the grill. Definitely spring for the wifi!
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #920
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Kamado grill and generally smoke using lump charcoal, but the ongoing temperature management for a 3-4 hour cook is quite demanding.

You guys have me intrigued with these GMG grills. I've known they're all the rage forr the last couple years but never really looked into them given my Kamado was pretty new.

Must....resist. I already have 2 grills and a wood fired pizza oven (Uuni), so can't imagine the wife would be thrilled with another smoker.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber