Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #8261
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Flyers’ prospect list ranked among NHL’s best

1. Morgan Frost, C, 20, 6-0, 180 pounds, Lehigh Valley Phantoms, AHL
2. Cam York, D, 19, 5-11, 175 pounds, University of Michigan, Big 10
3. Yegor Zamula, D, 19, 6-4, 170 pounds, Calgary Hitmen, WHL
4. Isaac Ratcliffe, LW, 21, 6-6, 208 pounds, Lehigh Valley Phantoms, AHL
5. Wade Allison, RW, 22, 6-2, 205 pounds, Western Michigan University, NCHC
6. Bobby Brink, RW, 18, 5-8, 159 pounds, University of Denver, NCHC
7. Tanner Laczynski, C, 22, 6-1, 190 pounds, Ohio State University, Big 10

https://www.mcall.com/sports/phantom...waa-story.html
I feel like that is a pretty poor prospect rankings for Philly if they don't have Farabee or Strome on it.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:45 PM   #8262
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Great ok cool. I look forward to Brad calling up Chuck Fletcher and asking for Giroux and something for Giordano and Lucic.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #8263
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I feel like that is a pretty poor prospect rankings for Philly if they don't have Farabee or Strome on it.
Farabee isn't really a prospect at this point, he spent the whole year in Philly. And Matt Strome isn't all that highly thought-of, he was a fourth-rounder who has struggled in the AHL so far. Likely the Jared Staal of the family.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:51 PM   #8264
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Farabee isn't really a prospect at this point, he spent the whole year in Philly. And Matt Strome isn't all that highly thought-of, he was a fourth-rounder who has struggled in the AHL so far. Likely the Jared Staal of the family.
Dobber has Strome ranked right there with and above other guys on that list. I would also definitely consider a 20 year old with 50ish games still a prospect.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:55 PM   #8265
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Dobber has Strome ranked right there with and above other guys on that list. I would also definitely consider a 20 year old with 50ish games still a prospect.
I dunno what Dobber is thinking. Strome's OHL numbers were pretty pedestrian and I don't think he would've been drafted nearly as high, if at all, if he weren't 6'4" and had the last name Strome. I don't know if I would put him in Philly's top 20 prospects at this point.

Edit: here's a Philly blog that did a "top 25 under 25" list back in March. Strome wasn't even an honourable mention. https://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...t-analysis-nhl

Last edited by TheScorpion; 09-27-2020 at 10:59 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 11:09 PM   #8266
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I dunno what Dobber is thinking. Strome's OHL numbers were pretty pedestrian and I don't think he would've been drafted nearly as high, if at all, if he weren't 6'4" and had the last name Strome. I don't know if I would put him in Philly's top 20 prospects at this point.

Edit: here's a Philly blog that did a "top 25 under 25" list back in March. Strome wasn't even an honourable mention. https://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...t-analysis-nhl
I trust Dobber long before some blog on the SB network, not to mention the one guy essentially writes off Strome because his brothers didn't live up to expectations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 11:21 PM   #8267
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Yikes, seems a little out of left field. Isn’t three first round picks the compensation for an offer sheet over 11 million? Johnny’s no 11 million dollar player.

What the hell though, right?

Gaudreau Kylington Lucic - Vorachek, Gostisbehere, Frost, 3 1st’s, a clone of 1994 Eric Lindros, and the restaurant that invented the Philly Cheesesteak.
First of all, I said two first round picks .

Second of all, the three firsts aren't what prevent offer sheets on star players. The 11 million dollar cap hit, in combination with the picks, is. So using offer sheet logic to value picks doesn't really make sense.

Yes, I think Lucic would have to be included in order for anything to make sense.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:21 PM   #8268
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I s'pose. Anything can happen. FWIW he's nowhere to be found on Corey Pronman's rankings either (https://theathletic.com/2034929/2020...elphia-flyers/, 17 players ranked)

He's an honourable mention on Scott Wheeler's (https://theathletic.com/1581033/2020...elphia-flyers/) with 20 guys ahead of him.

You can diss SB if you want but those guys probably actually watch the Flyers' kids way more than we do. I know Wheeler and Pronman do.

Anywho. I think a deal like this makes a fair amount of sense.

Gaudreau for the Flyers' 2020 1st, Frost, Zamula, Aube-Kubel, and Gostisbehere.

Gives the Flames another pick in a deep draft, a really good C and D prospect each, a young RHS winger with grit and decent scoring, and a D who has been really good in the past. Tons of upside there.

Going for Matt Strome would be another Hanowski-esque mistake, IMO. The Flames got Hanowski and Agostino for Iginla when neither guy was considered a top-10 guy in Pitt's prospect pool.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:22 PM   #8269
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I trust Dobber long before some blog on the SB network, not to mention the one guy essentially writes off Strome because his brothers didn't live up to expectations.
Strome has 6 career points in 25 AHL games and wasn't even point per game in the ECHL this season on a team with 4 point per game players (including Johnny's brother, Matthew Gaudreau).

Not sure why you're so hung up on Strome. He's a nothing prospect that doesn't move the needle even a millimetre in a trade
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 11:32 PM   #8270
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon38 Johnny to Philly:

Gaudreau sent home for Voracek, Gostisbehere + Tanner Laczynski (future Captain)
Hanifin to Devils for 18th & 20th - not in long term plans
Bennett will be happier in TO
Jankowski can be had for future considerations
Ryan sent away, not in coaches plans, relegated to 4th line
Rittich leaves too, time for Zagidulin
Kylington is the deal sweetener, not in coaches plans either

Hall (7.0) - Monahan - Voracek
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Dubé - Laczynski - Mangiapane (2.25)
Lucic - Ruzicka - Reider (.700)

Giordano - Andersson
Gostisbehere - Vatanen (4.875)
Välimäki - Mackey

Markstrom (4.5)
Zagidulin

Cap Hit: $79,890,832
Buyouts: $2,666,667
Bonuses: $947,500
Cap Space: $1,609,168
Old 09-27-2020, 11:37 PM   #8271
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't see any world where the Flames see that centre depth as sustainable for a whole season. I don't think they view Ruzicka as NHL-ready just yet.

They'd probably look at guys like Nate Thompson or Johan Larsson on the cheap in UFA before they let that happen for an extended period of time.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 09-27-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:25 AM   #8272
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I s'pose. Anything can happen. FWIW he's nowhere to be found on Corey Pronman's rankings either (https://theathletic.com/2034929/2020...elphia-flyers/, 17 players ranked)

He's an honourable mention on Scott Wheeler's (https://theathletic.com/1581033/2020...elphia-flyers/) with 20 guys ahead of him.

You can diss SB if you want but those guys probably actually watch the Flyers' kids way more than we do. I know Wheeler and Pronman do.

Anywho. I think a deal like this makes a fair amount of sense.

Gaudreau for the Flyers' 2020 1st, Frost, Zamula, Aube-Kubel, and Gostisbehere.

Gives the Flames another pick in a deep draft, a really good C and D prospect each, a young RHS winger with grit and decent scoring, and a D who has been really good in the past. Tons of upside there.

Going for Matt Strome would be another Hanowski-esque mistake, IMO. The Flames got Hanowski and Agostino for Iginla when neither guy was considered a top-10 guy in Pitt's prospect pool.
I don't trust SB because I've seen the kind of hacks they hire for the Flames. Just because someone watches people and can write, doesn't make their takes good or gives them an ability to judge prospects.

I also never suggested going after Strome, simply stated he should probably be on their prospect list. If that terrible Philly "rumor" I'd want Frost, Farabee and their first to take those contracts. IMO Ghosts contract isn't much better than Lucic's.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:33 AM   #8273
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gaudreau sent home for Voracek, Gostisbehere + Tanner Laczynski (future Captain)
Old 09-28-2020, 12:34 AM   #8274
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You witnessed a disturbing case of public defecation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 12:36 AM   #8275
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Emilio Pettersen had better college stats as a 19-year-old sophomore than Laczynski had as a 22-year-old senior.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:37 AM   #8276
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hanifin to Devils for 18th & 20th - not in long term plans
Bennett will be happier in TO
Jankowski can be had for future considerations
Ryan sent away, not in coaches plans, relegated to 4th line
Rittich leaves too, time for Zagidulin
Kylington is the deal sweetener, not in coaches plans either

Hall (7.0) - Monahan - Voracek
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Dubé - Laczynski - Mangiapane (2.25)
Lucic - Ruzicka - Reider (.700)

Giordano - Andersson
Gostisbehere - Vatanen (4.875)
Välimäki - Mackey

Markstrom (4.5)
Zagidulin

Cap Hit: $79,890,832
Buyouts: $2,666,667
Bonuses: $947,500
Cap Space: $1,609,168
Back to the drawing board, this is just pure garbage.

You know this is bad when I have to freaking look up Laczynski.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 12:50 AM   #8277
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you look at the Armchair GM stuff on Cap Friendly, it seems Leafs fans are convince Andersen will be on his way out, and they all really want Bennett. If the Leafs are willing to give up the 1st to get Kuemper or Murray, perhaps something could be build around Bennett & Andersen?
Old 09-28-2020, 01:08 AM   #8278
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
He also said Ryan Donato is being traded to Nashville, and that NYR is trading the 1st overall pick to Ottawa for Brady Tkachuk and the 3rd overall pick.

On Gaudreau: "Johnny Hockey, you can leave your Canadian phone in Calgary and get on a plane and get your ass to Philly and go an play with my brother. I think Voracek, you might have to get your Euro, Canadian, and American phone back buddy."

Then Kevin Connolly asks: "That's just going to be a straight up swap?!"

Hayes: "I'm hearing Johnny Hockey and something else, I'm not sure what, to Philly for Voracek and Gostisbehere, but that's a lot of money for Calgary to be taking on so there's going to have to be a juicy prospect coming from Philly too."

So basically... Jimmy Hayes is a moron.
Sounds like he's copying Commodore's schtick. Pack yer ####.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:23 AM   #8279
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see any world where the Flames see that centre depth as sustainable for a whole season. I don't think they view Ruzicka as NHL-ready just yet.

They'd probably look at guys like Nate Thompson or Johan Larsson on the cheap in UFA before they let that happen for an extended period of time.
I’d much rather see Lindholm at 2C, Backlund at 3 and Dube at 4. People forget he was a C (and a decent defensive one at the World Jr.).
Old 09-28-2020, 01:25 AM   #8280
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I’d much rather see Lindholm at 2C, Backlund at 3 and Dube at 4. People forget he was a C (and a decent defensive one at the World Jr.).
At this point in his career, Dube on the 4th line is a waste of his ability and development. He would be way better off playing wing on the third line than 4C and losing half his ice-time.

But I do want to try and add the winger depth to make Lindholm 2C and Backlund 3C.
Closed Thread