Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #41
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Peace officers are one of the reasons I hate Okotoks. They're EVERYWHERE handing out tickets to moms in minivans taking kids to soccer practise, and patrolling the streets for egregious violations such as trailers parked on driveways for longer than a few days, or mismatched gravel between houses.

Someone decided to give these guys guns as well. Probably to remain safe from all the P'd off residents losing their marbles over them sitting in the honey holes around town handing out tickets.

As for Sheriffs, I played rugby with a guy who was a Sheriff and he said they had a lot to do with checkstops. Not sure how or why.
So far as I know, sheriffs basically have two jobs: highway patrol - basically the rural equivalent of a bylaw officer inside a city like Okotoks or Airdrie. And bailiff duty. They handle security and transport at courts buildings.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #42
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
So far as I know, sheriffs basically have two jobs: highway patrol - basically the rural equivalent of a bylaw officer inside a city like Okotoks or Airdrie. And bailiff duty. They handle security and transport at courts buildings.
Also security for government buildings.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #43
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Huh. So, cops that can pull me over:

CPS
RCMP
Peace Officer
Sheriff
CP Rail Cops
C train cops?
Fish and Wildlife?

How about the First Nations police? I see them driving around town from time to time.
I've been pulled over by Fish and Wildlife (within park limits).

I would assume tribal police also have the same authority as any other police force. Not sure they have jurisdiction outside a reserve however?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #44
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I believe and someone can confirm but if you don't pay your railway ticket you can't renew your registration.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I believe and someone can confirm but if you don't pay your railway ticket you can't renew your registration.
Are you insinuating that they're more severe than the Blimp Police?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #46
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Your train registration?
Old 08-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #47
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Even worse in Okotoks because of the ridiculous 40km speed limit, plus all their wacky water use bylaws.

My parents live in Okotoks. There's a stop sign near their house, the other side of the intersection isn't built yet so traffic isn't even intersecting each other, it's basically just a corner with a stop sign. A county mounty will sit and watch this stop sign and hands out tickets for anyone that doesn't stop for a full 3 seconds.

There's also a road near their house that's just surrounded by fields, built for traffic to go 80, but in recent years it's now just barely within the town limits so the speed limit got decreased to 60 for no reason and they patrol it nonstop
HAH! They're in Air Ranch. I drive it daily.

That 60K zone is a result of the line of houses worried someone is going to go flying off the road and smash their houses. I know the mom who spearheaded it. I got nailed doing 80 in a 60 taking my kids to Lacrosse....

Air Ranch is also 30k through the entire neighbourhood. I've been pulled over doing 35, and waved at by bylaw for doing 30-34 (not sure how fast I was going, my speedo goes in intervals of 2, so it was either 31, 32, 33 or 34 when I glanced down).

My neighbours house got broken into last summer.....it took 4 hours to get a car out there. In the meantime they watched the burglar on security cams ransack the place while they were in Arizona.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #48
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Now I don’t live in Calgary, but the rail cops here love giving out tickets, but they are horrible at backing them up, so when someone does fight it they usually don’t even show up. Then it gets tossed. I’m in lloydminster so ymmv but I’d try and fight it
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #49
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Are you insinuating that they're more severe than the Blimp Police?

I was looking for a clip from a movie or show where the lead rides a rail car and gets his ass kicked by the plain clothed ‘rail police’. Now it’s driving me crazy because I can’t think of what I saw that in...
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #50
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Throw momma from the train?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #51
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Throw momma from the train?
I had to look that up, but no. Trains weren’t a main plot line, character was stowing away to get somewhere (empty cargo car)... got dragged off in the middle of the night and beaten. Damn haha.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mostly just wanted to put that aweful movie back in everyone's head.

Lots of bond movies have scenes like that, but maybe it was Octopussy?

And I mostly just want an excuse to post Octopussy.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #53
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Sherriffs love patrolling the stupid 80 zone on the #1 by Chestermere. They're got someone pulled over nearly every time I go by there.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #54
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The Sherriffs love patrolling the stupid 80 zone on the #1 by Chestermere. They're got someone pulled over nearly every time I go by there.
That's a reasonable 80 zone. The 281 is the best road to get to southern Chestermere, as well as the k-9 school, and the 791 goes to the high school. A teenager got killed there a few years ago crossing those lanes as a young driver.

I'm glad that short stretch is 80, and that they patrol it. School buses pull out on the highway at both those roads. That there is a legit speed trap.

But they sure do like to patrol around here. I'm a bit further north of Chestermere, and they like to hang out / cruise on Conrich Road, 100th st, McKnight (the 250) and the TC. And at all the entrances/exits for Chestermere.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #55
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Huh. So, cops that can pull me over:

CPS
RCMP
Peace Officer
Sheriff
CP Rail Cops
C train cops?
Fish and Wildlife?

Anyone else? Those security guys that drive fake cop cars? EMS guys with lights on their Suburban? The fire guys that drive Escapes? Calgary Bylaw officers?

How about the First Nations police? I see them driving around town from time to time.

Don't forget those pesky CN Rail Cops!
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #56
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have worked in the Ogden area for almost a decade and deal with the Ogden Dale Road and Rail crossing daily.

That road is policed a lot. Yet I have seen more drivers do stupid stuff in that area than any other area of the city.

I am certain many people in the city have no fear of the CPR police so they drive like morons. Like others have learned today the CPR police do have the same powers as the Calgary police service.

They are super strict in their playground so be careful.

A side note to this is at the end/beginning of Ogden Dale Road is also a sheriffs station.

Good luck fighting the ticket Mass_nerder. Have you ever had the traffic court experience?
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #57
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
HAH! They're in Air Ranch. I drive it daily.

That 60K zone is a result of the line of houses worried someone is going to go flying off the road and smash their houses. I know the mom who spearheaded it. I got nailed doing 80 in a 60 taking my kids to Lacrosse....

Air Ranch is also 30k through the entire neighbourhood. I've been pulled over doing 35, and waved at by bylaw for doing 30-34 (not sure how fast I was going, my speedo goes in intervals of 2, so it was either 31, 32, 33 or 34 when I glanced down).
Correct on all counts! Worried about cars coming off the road doing 80, yet they literally live underneath a flight school. Peace officers and bylaw LOVE that area, between that stretch of township road with the artificially low speed limit, 30-40k everywhere else, the new traffic circle where nobody yields, and the 3 way stop to nowhere. It's crazy the amount of enforcement it's gotten.

Needless to say they're looking at moving now, it's just gotten too busy with all the new developments and with drake Landing getting big. The reason they moved there in the first place was because it was quiet. Now it's a ####show
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #58
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
I have worked in the Ogden area for almost a decade and deal with the Ogden Dale Road and Rail crossing daily.

That road is policed a lot. Yet I have seen more drivers do stupid stuff in that area than any other area of the city.

I am certain many people in the city have no fear of the CPR police so they drive like morons. Like others have learned today the CPR police do have the same powers as the Calgary police service.

They are super strict in their playground so be careful.

A side note to this is at the end/beginning of Ogden Dale Road is also a sheriffs station.

Good luck fighting the ticket Mass_nerder. Have you ever had the traffic court experience?
I have not. In my 18 years if driving, I've never even been pulled over.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #59
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the back of a CPS ticket there are instructions on how to pay, court date, etc. Is a CP ticket the same? What is the process for going to court for a CP ticket?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #60
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The obvious deterrent for a regular ticket is that eventually you can go to jail. Assuming that would happen if you blow it off, and next time a cop runs your plates they see the history and arrest you. I assume CP cops can't do that? Or is the CP ticket system connected to the vehicle registration system?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote