"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:15 AM   #5562
oldschoolcalgary
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You're dreaming. Even when not playing the broadcasters will find ways to smuggle in nuggets about McOutoftheplayoffs and his band of merry skating misfits.
its really bizarre...

not sure who runs TSN and Sportsnet, but their unabashed pumping of McDavid is actually a turn off for the majority of fans in Canadian markets.

Do they really think that any other fanbase is rooting for the Oil Tankers to do well? Do they think Canucks/Flames/Jets/Ottawa/Leafs/MTL fans even like McDavid?!

Their constant No Goodness actually frustrates fanbases and makes them angry...they are the Welfare/Lottery champs...I'd bet that if they surveyed fanbases outside of Edmonton, an overwhelming percentage either hate or dislike and are plain sick of the Oilers and their constant sucking on the NHL Welfare teat...

Gross miscalculation of what most hockey fans want to see or hear every single broadcast/highlight show
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:26 AM   #5563
GoJetsGo
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they're all such huge fans of McDavid shouldn't they want to help him? Point out that he's trapped in a vicious cycle of failure and ineptitude and on the fast track to having his prime years wasted in darkness?

They need to grab a clue.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:36 AM   #5564
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

To be honest, it is this McDavid worship thing that actually wrecks broadcasts. In any game that the Oilers play even if its a national broadcast, they spend so much time on him that you get next to nothing on the team that they're playing. It actually makes me cheer against him harder.

90% of his chances are pretty feeble rushes up the outside and he either get routed behind the net or he takes a weak back hand or forehand.

Its almost like he's terrified of the middle of the ice as he rarely goes there.

I hate how excited the Oilers crew gets as he comes up the outside and a defenseman does a great job of forcing him behind the net and the broadcasters become pouty about it and talk about what an amazing chance it was. He's Taylor Halls IQ in a superior chassis.

The guys 13th in points per game and 61st in goals. That's ok, but its not worthy of worship. And he's captained the SS Oilyaz right into a iceberg of suck. Maybe they should be talking about that.

Here comes Connor McDavid, the most below generational player that we've seen in 50 years.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:37 AM   #5565
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Really? Not a single one?

Not even, perhaps, a franchise legend born on a significant national holiday?

(Other than that I agree with you, it's weird and creepy)
I assume this to mean Iggy born Canada day - something I totally did not know before this thread. So really - nope - not a single one.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #5566
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Reading hfboards PGT its like the Coilers moved into first place after last nights game, all is well again in Coilerville. Im sure the orders are once again going in for 18 foot party subs at Subway (or is it Mr Submarine?) for the Stanley Cup Final parties at the trailer parks all around Edmonton where hfboard members live and mouth breathe.
Realistic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Realistic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #5567
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would not mind seeing the oilers go on a run to 9th place in the west any time now...
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #5568
Jiggy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Keep on scoring Nurse. After the season make sure you ask for 5+ million a year for 6 years. That would put him with Bogosian, DeKeyser, Greene, Rielly type of contract. Chia will have a hard time wrapping his brain how to work around that cap hit.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #5569
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They're planning the parade again in Mulletville. They all seem to have memory problems. They remember the 80's and the last game played. Nothing in between.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Southside For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #5570
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
its really bizarre...

not sure who runs TSN and Sportsnet, but their unabashed pumping of McDavid is actually a turn off for the majority of fans in Canadian markets.

Do they really think that any other fanbase is rooting for the Oil Tankers to do well? Do they think Canucks/Flames/Jets/Ottawa/Leafs/MTL fans even like McDavid?!

Their constant No Goodness actually frustrates fanbases and makes them angry...they are the Welfare/Lottery champs...I'd bet that if they surveyed fanbases outside of Edmonton, an overwhelming percentage either hate or dislike and are plain sick of the Oilers and their constant sucking on the NHL Welfare teat...

Gross miscalculation of what most hockey fans want to see or hear every single broadcast/highlight show
Yeah well the last person that called out the Oilers on the air found herself unemployed a few months later. Unbelievable that Hextall got "laid off", as she was the best thing to happen to Sportsnet in a long time. She actually had me watching intermissions because she would say what nobody else would.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #5571
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
To be honest, it is this McDavid worship thing that actually wrecks broadcasts. In any game that the Oilers play even if its a national broadcast, they spend so much time on him that you get next to nothing on the team that they're playing. It actually makes me cheer against him harder.

90% of his chances are pretty feeble rushes up the outside and he either get routed behind the net or he takes a weak back hand or forehand.

Its almost like he's terrified of the middle of the ice as he rarely goes there.

I hate how excited the Oilers crew gets as he comes up the outside and a defenseman does a great job of forcing him behind the net and the broadcasters become pouty about it and talk about what an amazing chance it was. He's Taylor Halls IQ in a superior chassis.

The guys 13th in points per game and 61st in goals. That's ok, but its not worthy of worship. And he's captained the SS Oilyaz right into a iceberg of suck. Maybe they should be talking about that.

Here comes Connor McDavid, the most below generational player that we've seen in 50 years.
100% this. My son (he is 10) was watching the broadcast last night and commented on this. He actually stopped watching the game because of it.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #5572
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Edmonton Oilers are no good but someone needs to tell the Pacific Division that seems to be the only division in hockey they are actually good at beating opponents.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #5573
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

This recurring post follows the Oilers over the last 40 games , and their chances of making the playoffs. In order to get to 95 points, and therefore have a reasonable chance (about 50%), they would need the following over the final 40 games (in 10 game segments):

7-3-0
7-3-0
7-3-0
7-3-0
overall: 28-12-0

Let's follow along and see how they do!....

On January 11th, the Oilers were in 13th place, 9 points out of 8th. Not looking good. But wait! Since then, they have a HUGE 3 game winning streak going! They've got their swagger back, baby!

So how far have they clawed their way back into the race?

Well, they now find themselves in 13th place, 10 points out of 8th! That's right folks, even with the 3 game winning streak, they have fallen further behind! Thus is the challenge of falling behind early.

They now need to do the following over their remaining 10-game segments:

2-3-0
7-3-0
7-3-0
9-1-0
overall, that adds up to: 25-10-0

Their record so far:

Segment 1: 3-2-0

Last edited by Enoch Root; 01-21-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #5574
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Edmonton Oilers are no good but someone needs to tell the Pacific Division that seems to be the only division in hockey they are actually good at beating opponents.
Actually, that's a good thing. We need the Oilers to keep the Pacific wins coming - especially against LA, SJ and ANA.

Also, anything that gives them hope and demonstrates that they are still on the right path, assures us that nothing will change.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #5575
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There are actually a lot of Oiler fans on HFOil who are talking playoffs after a 2 game winning streak where they eeked by the worst team in the league, and beat a rusty Vegas team that couldn't finish last night but was the better team.

Its really the 6 stages of Oilers Grief (Patent pending)

Denial - "Its a small losing streak, it means nothing, we have the McDavid. Our teams not slow, they're patient

Anger - "This sucks, everyone is against us, the refs are trying to screw us, they should be protecting McDavid instead of letting him get mugged. I'm cancelling my season tickets. Don't you dare talk like that, I'll bite your face off"

Bargaining - "Hockey God . . . its me Oilers fan, if you get us to the playoffs I promise not to double dip at parties, I'll be nicer to people . . .honestly. We deserve a Stanley Cup because of these years of torture. So Hockey God, I'll even stop wearing these comfortable sweat pants and wear some decent shoes to work"

Depression - (sounds of sobbing)

Delusions (oiler centric)- "We've won two games in a row, we're back and awesome, other teams will tremble at our Oiler mightiness. Just wait until we can see the looks on those Flemer fans faces when we sneak into the playoffs and as a bottom seed win the cup with all of our talent. We are awesome, We are awesome, Connor is magically tapping shoulders on his 21st birthday and that's going to infect the lineup with awesomeness. The league trembles in fear of the Oilers coming off of a 5 day break well rested.

Acceptance - "Whatever man, this year was a fluke, it happens, a team this awesomely and naturally talented isn't going to be denied every year, besides the draft is coming. The Oilyaz will rise again"
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #5576
Red Slinger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's kind of funny that the last time the Oilers had a winning streak going it was interupted by the Christmas break and when it was over they reverted to Oilering all over the place. Now, they've got a whopping 2 game streak going and are feeling pretty good about themselves only to get it interupted by their week off.

Too bad. I was hoping they would get some more wins, move up the standings, beat some Pacific teams, remove themselves from the top tier of draft picks and convince themselves all was right with the team.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #5577
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Actually, that's a good thing. We need the Oilers to keep the Pacific wins coming - especially against LA, SJ and ANA.

Also, anything that gives them hope and demonstrates that they are still on the right path, assures us that nothing will change.
True but it would be nice to see the Flames beat them for the first time since Hartley was coaching them. Still kind of curious why the Pacific division seems to have trouble with them when the other three divisions don't.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #5578
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vegas was rusty coming off their 5 day break, and their PP was an abysmal 0-6. I'd say that's the only reason Edmonton was even in that game last night. Vegas was the better team all night.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #5579
CF84
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I see that some Oilers fans are now calling McDavid "McDaddy"

...creepy
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #5580
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s due to the “Mac daddy of them all” hangovers that he has right now. Channeling Keith Jackson (rest in peace).

No more lollipops and visits with the pilot as I’m sure that there is an age restriction on “baby fliers” program for McDavid.