Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The 2018/2019 UEFA Champion's League and International Club News Thread

Probably about time for a new thread seeing as the Transfer Market is going to heat up shortly before the window closes and the new season starts in a couple of weeks.

But lets start with some news:

Bayern defeat PSG in the International Champions' Cup 3-1 and Manchester City lose 1-0 to Borussia Dortmund with Pep whining about Dortmund's 'tough tackling' but in other news Gotze with the winning goal there.

But in terms of transfers the interesting story to me is Chelsea. Rumours that Real Madrid have put in offers for Hazard and Courtois and that Barcelona have made an offer for Willian and Atletico have made an offer for Giroud.

Will there be anyone left at Chelsea? Its strange as they're usually the ones doing the pillaging rather than the ones being pillaged. But it could be an opportunity to revamp that squad entirely.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whitecaps close to selling Canadian Alphonso Davies to Bayern Munich for a fee between $12-$15 million. Would be the biggest transfer in MLS history. My initial thoughts are that this is amazing for Canada, to have Canada’s best young player playing for one of the best teams in the world is unreal. He’s got so much potential and in order for it to be fulfilled he needs to be in Europe as soon as possible. Davies playing for Bayern and Pulisic playing for Dortmund will make for a good rivalry in the future. I’d put my bets on Davies

Last edited by Beninho; 07-21-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would this be the highest transfer fee for a Canadian player?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Davies is already tied for the Canadian lead in goals scored in one gold cup and he was 16 when he did that so I would hope he’s the highest. If it’s only 15 mill I think that’s an incredible deal for Bayern, especially in today’s market. If Davies was Brazilian, Spanish, or Argentinian he would be worth probably double. Davies is one of the best U-18 players in the world, seems like a great piece of business for Bayern.

Last edited by Beninho; 07-21-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #5
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Davies to Bayern would be a dream come true for me as a Canadian Bayern fan. He’s a fantastic prospect
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I read a tweet earlier. Can't remember who it was, but they said Vancouver wants more then the rumoured 10M. That they think he's worth double.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure. It will be the MLS transfer out record.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #8
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Neymar cost PSG $346 million Canadian, you would think Davies is worth even a tenth of that. It's incredible PSG paid that much. You could buy an entire NHL hockey team for that or the entire CFL, their stadiums, and even the mascots. Shocking what a worldwide team can generate money wise.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t know, what did Owen (wtf is with that accent) Hargreaves go for?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #10
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Whitecaps close to selling Canadian Alphonso Davies to Bayern Munich for a fee between $12-$15 million. Would be the biggest transfer in MLS history. My initial thoughts are that this is amazing for Canada, to have Canada’s best young player playing for one of the best teams in the world is unreal. He’s got so much potential and in order for it to be fulfilled he needs to be in Europe as soon as possible. Davies playing for Bayern and Pulisic playing for Dortmund will make for a good rivalry in the future. I’d put my bets on Davies
This would be incredible.
I really want to see Davies go to a big club and get a real shot at hitting that next level.
Such a talent and so exciting for Canadian soccer.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #11
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Hargreaves transferred from Bayern to Man U for 25 million Euros. https://www.transfermarkt.de/owen-ha...il/spieler/201

Hargreaves is Canadian but not a Canadian international, so technically for football purposes, he's not Canadian.

I think the next highest transfer fee be Tomasz Radzinski who went from Anderlecht to Everton for 6.75 million Euros.

Jonathan de Guzman went from Mallorca to Villarreal for 8 million Euro but he would fall under the Hargreaves category of not being a Canadian international.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
If Neymar cost PSG $346 million Canadian, you would think Davies is worth even a tenth of that. It's incredible PSG paid that much. You could buy an entire NHL hockey team for that or the entire CFL, their stadiums, and even the mascots. Shocking what a worldwide team can generate money wise.
This has been discussed in other threads, but thats not really how transfer fees work with the Major clubs.

The fact of the matter is that Bayern can go to Vancouver and say:

"Would he rather play for Bayern Munich, one of the top Club teams in the World and in the Champions' League or...."

And the player is instantly going to tell Vancouver to sell him for whatever they're offering and that he'll never set foot on an MLS pitch ever again.

And within this context is tough to blame him. For him and his career this is a stratospheric step up.

Now, thats only right now, I dont know what his contract status is with the Whitecaps, but this is the proverbial 'Offer that you can't refuse.'

Because you would imagine that the player must be chomping at the bit to make this career move and frankly Canadian Soccer would likely be thrilled as well, which leaves the Whitecaps in an unenviable position.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #13
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This has been discussed in other threads, but thats not really how transfer fees work with the Major clubs.

The fact of the matter is that Bayern can go to Vancouver and say:

"Would he rather play for Bayern Munich, one of the top Club teams in the World and in the Champions' League or...."

And the player is instantly going to tell Vancouver to sell him for whatever they're offering and that he'll never set foot on an MLS pitch ever again.

And within this context is tough to blame him. For him and his career this is a stratospheric step up.

Now, thats only right now, I dont know what his contract status is with the Whitecaps, but this is the proverbial 'Offer that you can't refuse.'

Because you would imagine that the player must be chomping at the bit to make this career move and frankly Canadian Soccer would likely be thrilled as well, which leaves the Whitecaps in an unenviable position.
I might be wrong, but this looks like a loan back to VWC because he's only 17 and can't actually get the visa to go to Germany at this point. So probably the sale and loan back for the MLS season, and then go to Germany in January. But yeah, an enormous step for sure. Like I said before, I just hope he actually gets playing time and development and isn't rotting away on the bench.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:08 PM   #14
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Whitecaps have been planning to sell Davies for a long time, they just can't until he's 18.
His departure to a larger club has been known for a long time, just a matter of which club. It's not really an offer you can't refuse type of scenario as it was always coming.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #15
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
16 yrs Canadian, 10 yrs German, 12 yrs English.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #16
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I might be wrong, but this looks like a loan back to VWC because he's only 17 and can't actually get the visa to go to Germany at this point. So probably the sale and loan back for the MLS season, and then go to Germany in January. But yeah, an enormous step for sure. Like I said before, I just hope he actually gets playing time and development and isn't rotting away on the bench.
What has changed since Hargreaves did at 16?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #17
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
What has changed since Hargreaves did at 16?
I don't know, really. It's definitely not my area of expertise, but it's what I heard and so I thought I'd post it. I guess it made sense to me, but maybe it's untrue...like a lot of these transfer rumours in general I guess!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #18
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it may be MLS selling policy, more so than a Visa thing.. but not sure.
This article talks about it a bit
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls...star-1.4747335

Quote:
The duo might not be teammates for much longer. Once Davies turns 18 in November, the Whitecaps could sell his rights to an interested international club for a sizeable transfer fee.

"To be honest, I have no idea," Davies said about the rumours. "I really don't worry about that. That's not my side of the game, my side is to perform on the pitch."

Vancouver president Bob Lenarduzzi has yet to divulge how much Davies' services are worth to the club."We're waiting to see what the market bears, so we're still going through that process, but it will be a significant amount of money," Lenarduzzi said.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #19
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there is a German or European rule about signing international players before they are 18. There is a kid we know from my sons soccer club that went over to schalke as a 17 year old but could only play as a guest player or something until he signed on his 18ty birthday. They said at the time it was because he wasn’t from Europe.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #20
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I think there is a German or European rule about signing international players before they are 18. There is a kid we know from my sons soccer club that went over to schalke as a 17 year old but could only play as a guest player or something until he signed on his 18ty birthday. They said at the time it was because he wasn’t from Europe.
Can train and all that but no playing

which isnt a big deal, as training is all that hes going to be doing at bayern next year most likely, maybe gets in a game or two

Likely on loan year after
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote