Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #2221
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I uhh....well.....yeah....American education on display here

https://twitter.com/user/status/1395524167781527552
Old 05-21-2021, 12:11 PM   #2222
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I think the emphasis should be on the second paragraph, not the first.
You're right. I'm sure it'll be in the next budget.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #2223
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean considering the crazy amount of money Biden is already planning to spend to fundamentally fix the economy, I sincerely doubt he could get any more spending passed even with full democratic control.

Again, pragmatism has to be a consideration here. There are lots of problems to fix, but there will be time in the future to address those other things (hopefully). Yanking the country from the precipice of a long recession is far more important right now.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #2224
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I uhh....well.....yeah....American education on display here

https://twitter.com/user/status/1395524167781527552
The top rated response is gold.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1395619739615961090
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #2225
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I mean considering the crazy amount of money Biden is already planning to spend to fundamentally fix the economy, I sincerely doubt he could get any more spending passed even with full democratic control.

Again, pragmatism has to be a consideration here. There are lots of problems to fix, but there will be time in the future to address those other things (hopefully). Yanking the country from the precipice of a long recession is far more important right now.
Okay, so maybe don't promise these things in the first place then? I don't have an issue with pragmatism. I have an issue with essentially lying to voters. That's the type of stuff that contributes to voter apathy.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #2226
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Okay, so maybe don't promise these things in the first place then? I don't have an issue with pragmatism. I have an issue with essentially lying to voters. That's the type of stuff that contributes to voter apathy.
If your biggest gripe is making a campaign promise that you don't follow through on, then you'll never ever be satisfied with any politician ever and I think you need to check your idealistic expectations a little.

Voter apathy is a problem, but only when things are going well. If enough people are pissed off and angry, they'll vote (see: last election). I'm far more concerned about voter suppression than apathy.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:40 PM   #2227
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
If your biggest gripe is making a campaign promise that you don't follow through on, then you'll never ever be satisfied with any politician ever and I think you need to check your idealistic expectations a little.

Voter apathy is a problem, but only when things are going well. If enough people are pissed off and angry, they'll vote (see: last election). I'm far more concerned about voter suppression than apathy.
That's nice to say if none of the broken campaign promises comprise a big reason to why you voted for someone.

For others, it matters a lot. I don't think it's fair to say someone who student debt or prescription drug issue impacts greatly will just "never be happy" when those promises aren't fulfilled.

If you make 10 promises and I vote for you because of 5 of them, and you break 4/10 but 4/5 I voted for you on, that's not idealistic of someone to be upset about, that's ####. These things impact people. These things matter. Why explain it away?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #2228
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed. I would guess that the family and infrastructure plan won't be passed as tabled and that a watered down version will be required. It will be interesting to see if that is viewed as success or a fail by some.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #2229
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I like how those who are currently on government health care (and, in the case of Biden specifically, who has basically had government health care for most, if not all, of his entire life) are unwilling to provide the same to those that they claim to represent.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:18 PM   #2230
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Marjorie Taylor Greene calls Nancy Pelosi 'mentally ill' and compares House mask rules to the Holocaust

Quote:
Greene continued her rant against Pelosi by comparing the mask-wearing requirement to the Holocaust.

"You know, we can look back in a time in history where people were told to wear a gold star and they were definitely treated like second-class citizens, so much so that they were put in trains and taken to gas chambers in Nazi Germany," Greene said. "And this is exactly the type of abuse that Nancy Pelosi is talking about."
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 05-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #2231
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Marjorie Taylor Greene calls Nancy Pelosi 'mentally ill' and compares House mask rules to the Holocaust

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other...?ocid=msedgntp
"Exactly the type of abuse". Greene is an idiot.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #2232
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's only a matter of time when they have a fundraiser in a gun range and put masks on the target so that people can shoot them.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #2233
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If by the end of a 4 year term, his administration hasn’t made meaningful progress, you’ll have a point.

It would be great if everything promised was achieved or in progress right away. But there are limits, both in the form of resources and bandwidth.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #2234
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
If by the end of a 4 year term, his administration hasn’t made meaningful progress, you’ll have a point.

It would be great if everything promised was achieved or in progress right away. But there are limits, both in the form of resources and bandwidth.
Unfortunately he most likely only has 2 years as the midterms are never kind when a party has both houses of congress and the white house.

Not to mention his razor thin margin in the senate means they have to concede so much to begin with.

This is what happened to Obama. He went all in on the ACA and then nothing else was able to get done because they were out of political capital. So this may be about it for signature legislation for Biden. It sucks, but its reality. So as we look towards 2022 and 2024, what exactly should people be excited about?
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:39 PM   #2235
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Right, so where's the failing of Biden and the Democrats here?
I was simply explaining why things are going the way they are down there, not disagreeing with you. I think it's asking a bit much of Democrats to forcibly change the conspiracy-laden right's view on vaccinations.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #2236
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh fer christ sakes. So these dips**ts can just do any recount they want even though multiple recounts and audits were already conducted (showing zero evidence of fraud), and the results were officially certified months ago? Why are judges allowing this stupid crap to continue so long after the election?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...audit-77833150

Quote:
A judge on Friday agreed to unseal absentee ballots to allow for an audit of November election results in Georgia's most populous county.

Henry County Superior Court Judge Brian Amero said the specifics of the audit of more than 145,000 absentee ballots from Fulton County would be outlined in a future order, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

The ruling stems from a lawsuit against the county that alleges evidence of fraudulent ballots and improper counting. The judge said he'll order county officials to scan the ballots and produce high resolution images. The plaintiffs plan to use those images to determine whether the ballots were completed by hand or machine to determine their legitimacy, the newspaper reported.

The plaintiffs, nine Georgia voters, will pay for the audit, the newspaper reported.
Fulton County Commission Chairman Robb Pitts issued a statement after Friday's ruling saying it's “outrageous that Fulton County continues to be a target of those who cannot accept the results from last year’s election.”

“The votes have been counted multiple times, including a hand recount, and no evidence of fraud has been found,” Pitts said, "The fact remains that Fulton County safely and securely carried out an election in the midst of a public health crisis. It’s a shame to see that the ‘Big Lie’ lives on and could cost the hardworking taxpayers of this county.”
Quote:
The plaintiffs wanted to take the absentee ballots to a private company for scanning and inspection, the newspaper reported. But Amero cited federal and state law Friday in saying that county election officials must retain custody of the ballots during the audit. That could avoid issues like those raised during an audit in Arizona.

Georgia election results were certified months ago, and this audit cannot change the results. Before certification, the state did a full hand recount of the presidential race to satisfy a new audit requirement in state law.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #2237
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Right, so where's the failing of Biden and the Democrats here?
US overall vax rates will be low.
Is this the fault of the Biden administration? No
Did the administration do anything to correct this? No
Is there anything he could have done? Maybe not.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:34 PM   #2238
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
US overall vax rates will be low.
Is this the fault of the Biden administration? No
Did the administration do anything to correct this? No
Is there anything he could have done? Maybe not.
In my opinion working with republicans and giving them credit for vaccine procurement would have been a starting point to get people embracing it. Instead it was used as a look at how trump was failing and how great we are.

Biden did the easy part that no jurisdiction but Japan has failed at. Getting doses in arms. It didn’t need to be a partisan issue.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #2239
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
In my opinion working with republicans and giving them credit for vaccine procurement would have been a starting point to get people embracing it. Instead it was used as a look at how trump was failing and how great we are.

Biden did the easy part that no jurisdiction but Japan has failed at. Getting doses in arms. It didn’t need to be a partisan issue.
The Democrats find themselves walking a fine line. When they play the partisan games they get criticized for dividing America and when they try to be bi-partisan they get criticized for losing elections because they're not tough enough to play the game.

When you have one party full of policy wonks that occasionally tries to address issues and another party that is generally only interested in power at any cost, pressure to improve should be applied to the latter rather than the former. Cut out the cancer and then deal with the head cold.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:27 AM   #2240
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Except they did a ####ty job on vaccine procurement. That's why we were way behind on getting vaccine out. I'm all for giving credit where credit is due, but the complete lack of leadership provided by the previous administration is criminal. Millions around the globe are dead because of it.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: