Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Biden 6 66.67%
Trump 3 33.33%
Kanye/other/Independent 0 0%
Would not vote 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #4181
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Those are still by county from what I see.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #4182
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If Biden were smart he would try to provide a calming and healing tone with the nation. I would suggest he rip a page from the FDR playbook and institute weekly or monthly "fireside chats" and speak to the American people about the challenges we all face. Bring on average Americans and talk through their issues in frank open discourse for the nation to observe. This is where Biden shines and could really help reach all constituents.

I like that, would be perfect in the virtual world we live in now.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #4183
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone explain what's going on with the Senate numbers to me?

Google currently shows it as R: 48 D: 46 I: 2. From what I understand, the two Independent senators are Bernie Sanders and another leftist independent. So let's call it 48:48. Assuming Tillis wins NC and the GA seats get split, that puts it at 50:49. Where is the missing seat?
Old 11-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #4184
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Can someone explain what's going on with the Senate numbers to me?

Google currently shows it as R: 48 D: 46 I: 2. From what I understand, the two Independent senators are Bernie Sanders and another leftist independent. So let's call it 48:48. Assuming Tillis wins NC and the GA seats get split, that puts it at 50:49. Where is the missing seat?
Alaska.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #4185
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Where is Gaskal??
Old 11-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #4186
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #4187
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bidens lead in Nevada has doubled. This one is over too.

what a beautiful day!
Old 11-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #4188
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This one is going to be tricky as hell because you know the Republicans are going to fight tooth and nail for those two seats.
Senator Stacey Abrams would be a nice look...
Old 11-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #4189
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Something I've seen on twitter the last couple of days is that any 17 year old in Georgia that turns 18 between January 1-5 will be eligible to vote in the run-off. The Dems need to be all over that starting right now, as they have to register by December something, can't remember the date. But getting those 17 year olds registered and voting could be massive.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #4190
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
started following eric and donald trump on twitter. it's like going to the oilers boards!
I can't help think of Staples.
It's the same "does he really actually believe what he's typing?" vibes
Old 11-06-2020, 09:45 AM   #4191
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All those people who were posting in this thread on Tuesday night about what a horrible candidate Biden was and how the Democratic Party threw away the election to the worst president in US history by not nominating someone else are going to stop by to post a mea culpa and eat crow any minute now, right? Right? Guys...?

*crickets*
Not sure who you are directing this at but I am someone who said that I don't think he is/was a great candidate (at no time did I ever say anything remotely close to 'horrible', but whatever), so I will respond.

The fact that the Democrats won with Biden is not proof that he was a great candidate. Donald Trump is a DESPICABLE HUMAN BEING. Donald Trump doesn't respect minorities, doesn't respect women, doesn't respect the poor, the disabled, or anyone else. Donald Trump doesn't respect the US electoral process. He doesn't respect the institutions of government.

Donald Trump is despicable and dangerous, and he HAD to be removed. This was the single most significant issue of the election. Yes, many people voted for other reasons, there were more than 140 million votes cast, after all. Nonetheless, this was the number one issue. Donald Trump HAD TO BE REMOVED FROM THE WHITEHOUSE.

And he was (fingers still crossed until it's official).

You are implying with your post that a vote for the Democrats was a vote for Biden, and that this result is 'proof' that Biden was a great candidate. I am not so sure that it is. Yes, he got the job done, and kudos to him for that. Bottom line. I only speak for myself, but I am thrilled that he got the job done. I tip my hat to him and say, "well done, good sir!"

But does this mean that he was the best man for the job? Does it even mean he was a great candidate? I look at this election as a condemnation of Trump, much more so than a rally behind Biden.

You are free to disagree with that, and I respect your opinion.

But if you think I need to 'eat crow' here, well sorry but that I do not agree with. I would like to focus on the positive. I would like to yell out "ding dong, the witch is dead!" I am jubilant that Trump is gone. I do not feel any need to eat crow.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #4192
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah but if he didn't win the county he definitely didn't win the city.

The contenders are OKC, Tulsa, Knoxville, Charleston WV, Jackson MI... and that's it. He might have won Helena but that barely counts as a city.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 11-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #4193
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
Where is Gaskal??
I got one gem for ya:

Quote:
Conspiracy Theory:
COVID was a plot to lock down American Economy by China + Democrats to do massive mail-in ballots + enough FRAUDULENT ones to slowly have Trump lose the election.

(More) Realistic View:
Social Media Companies set up simple enrollment for voting + mail in ballots allowed a ####-ton of young <25 year old people to vote which gave the Democrats a massive advantage since young people vote with their "hearts" not their brains. The overwhelming amount of people live in Urban cities which were overwhelmed with mail-in ballots and couldn't keep up with the count.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Conservativ...ead_2/gbczdqd/
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 09:47 AM   #4194
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Can anyone find what's the biggest city in the country that went for Trump?
Moscow?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #4195
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
Where is Gaskal??
This twitter is doing a pretty decent Gaskal-esque job, but it dives pretty hard into Chanboards so uh, it's kinda gross.

https://twitter.com/CopingMAGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 09:50 AM   #4196
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I’m not overly educated on this issue so I’ll ask and see what you guys think. Would it be a bad idea in future elections to limit mail-in ballots to citizens living/working abroad, military personnel, and those with severe disabilities that prevent them from leaving home? I think they could extend in-person voting by a few days to reduce wait times at the polls. Maybe give three days to vote in person? I just don’t see any reason Joe Blow who lives in the suburbs of Philadelphia needs to be mailing in a ballot instead of voting in person.

I understand the concerns with COVID this year but there has to be a way to avoid this fiasco in the future.

I don’t know how feasible this is and I might be overlooking some problems here.
Here is a good summary of the GOP plan to sabotage mail in voting and win on a “Red Mirage”.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...701750785.html

Quote:
So Trump comes full force after mail voting, and since he's the ultimate elite signaling for Republicans, Republican voters abandon that voting method everywhere they have the option to.

That actually ends up making the GOP's strategy of this "Red Mirage" viable, bc they now have high confidence that election day vote is going to heavily favor them and that disqualifying mail ballots, en masse, normally a crazy plan in a swing state, is now a great approach bc they are likely to break strongly in favor of Biden.

So they begin to roll out their Red Mirage plan- spend months preparing the Rep electorate to see mailed-in ballots as inherently corrupt & thus, accomplish a very hard task of normalizing the idea of disqualifying these ballots in a democracy.

They have, of course, a not-insignificant asset. They have Fox News, which serves as the linchpin in a massive & impenetrable propaganda machine on the political Right that has pushed out, buried, and utterly marginalized conservativisms traditional "thinkers" and publications.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #4197
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Moscow?

Putin must be a little sad he is not leaving on a high note.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #4198
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Not sure who you are directing this at but I am someone who said that I don't think he is/was a great candidate (at no time did I ever say anything remotely close to 'horrible', but whatever), so I will respond.

The fact that the Democrats won with Biden is not proof that he was a great candidate. Donald Trump is a DESPICABLE HUMAN BEING. Donald Trump doesn't respect minorities, doesn't respect women, doesn't respect the poor, the disabled, or anyone else. Donald Trump doesn't respect the US electoral process. He doesn't respect the institutions of government.

Donald Trump is despicable and dangerous, and he HAD to be removed. This was the single most significant issue of the election. Yes, many people voted for other reasons, there were more than 140 million votes cast, after all. Nonetheless, this was the number one issue. Donald Trump HAD TO BE REMOVED FROM THE WHITEHOUSE.

And he was (fingers still crossed until it's official).

You are implying with your post that a vote for the Democrats was a vote for Biden, and that this result is 'proof' that Biden was a great candidate. I am not so sure that it is. Yes, he got the job done, and kudos to him for that. Bottom line. I only speak for myself, but I am thrilled that he got the job done. I tip my hat to him and say, "well done, good sir!"

But does this mean that he was the best man for the job? Does it even mean he was a great candidate? I look at this election as a condemnation of Trump, much more so than a rally behind Biden.

You are free to disagree with that, and I respect your opinion.

But if you think I need to 'eat crow' here, well sorry but that I do not agree with. I would like to focus on the positive. I would like to yell out "ding dong, the witch is dead!" I am jubilant that Trump is gone. I do not feel any need to eat crow.
I'm not sure there were many people, if any, in this thread who thought Joe Biden was some homerun candidate. I think for most of us we just thought he was the most likely to win. And based off the current map I'd say that was a very accurate assessment. I remain highly skeptical any other candidate, save maybe Michelle Obama, could have done better.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #4199
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Putin must be a little sad he is not leaving on a high note.
I think Putin looks back on the last 4 years as the culmination of a lifetime's work in destroying democracy in the west. Don't cry for Vladimir.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #4200
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
All those people who were posting in this thread on Tuesday night about what a horrible candidate Biden was and how the Democratic Party threw away the election to the worst president in US history by not nominating someone else are going to stop by to post a mea culpa and eat crow any minute now, right? Right? Guys...?

*crickets*

Biden is a horrible candidate. Always has been, always will be. He was a distant 4th at the start of the primaries until all the other candidates dropped out very early and pledged their allegiance to Biden to prevent Sanders from coming close to winning.

Biden almost lost to the worst president in history.

They won despite Biden, not because of Biden. Did your somehow forget everything that happened in the last 4 years, and Trump still almost squeaked a victory? The country was literally burning in flames!

There is a very high likelyhood that the pandemic is what caused the tipping scale, as the American economy was in great shape prior.

Now obviously Obama couldn't run, but do you think for one second that Trump would have ever come close to winning in 2016 let alone in 2020 if the Democrats ran a candidate that was not part of the old guard? The DNC was forced to dust off Biden to put him in as a recognizable name after Clinton's humiliating defeat in 2016.

In 2015 Biden was largely seen as unelectable where he stepped aside to have Clinton take the Democrats to the presidency, in 2019 he was the only thing the Democrats had in the cupboards. They didn't have an Obama waiting in the wings ready and Kamala Harris is too polarizing to really get the same results at least at this time.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...iden-didnt-run

Closing comments from 2015:

Quote:
And that is what makes his decision especially memorable. Biden is giving up his last chance at the role that he has always wanted—and a bet that he believes his son Beau wanted him to place. “As my family and I have worked through the grieving process, I’ve said all along...It may very well be that that process, by the time we get through it, closes the window on mounting a realistic campaign for president, that it might close,” Biden said. “I’ve concluded that it has closed.”
We are day 4 with an election where cocky posters were arrogantly touting right before the election that this will be a total landslide victory, with electoral seats as high as 368. This was the same arrogance and ignorance that got Trump elected to begin with.

And since I have to spell it out to some of the mindthink because any attempt to provide an argument gets met by disdain.

No. One. Likes. Trump. Here. No. One. Wanted. Trump. To. Win. Here.

Biden is still a horrible candidate that almost cost us 4 more years of Trump.

Last edited by Firebot; 11-06-2020 at 09:58 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread