Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2022, 09:48 AM   #401
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Don't dip your pen in company ink. This phrase had held true through the ages.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:56 AM   #402
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Elliott Investment Management sent a letter to Suncor's board. Would have to think Mark Little is probably a bit warm this morning.

https://restoresuncor.com/
So EIM isn't thrilled about Suncor getting lapped by CNRL? Suncor won't be best in class again.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #403
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
So EIM isn't thrilled about Suncor getting lapped by CNRL? Suncor won't be best in class again.
Seems to be plenty of evidence of poor overall management. Poor financial performance, poor asset performance, and a really horrible safety record.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #404
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

My limited dealings with Suncor is that they are slow to adopt cost saving programs and aren't really open to onboarding new vendors capable of competing with their current vendors at a lower cost. Rule of thumb in the mining industry is no one has ever been fired for using OEM parts, so why fix what isn't broken. That's the sense I get from them so it's a real struggle to get your products through the door and proven out......even when they have USED your parts bought through another vendor on the approved vendor list. It's really weird.

CNRL can be a real PITA to deal with, but they aren't afraid to try new products from random vendors in the name of cost savings, which is how we got our start up there. They are ruthless in their pursuit of price reductions and it's reflected in their stock price.

It's 2 very different strategies.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:22 AM   #405
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Just a word of caution for anyone with a company cell phone / number that they also use for personal purposes.

In this day of so much being tied to your cell number (i.e. two factor authentication for CRA and your bank) it's a real PITA if you do get the axe and you have to surrender devices and or the phone number on short / no notice.

Best to lug around 2 phones to be honest, as inconvenient as it is.
Same can be said about email addresses. I know people that used their work email as their primary email address for everything. Then they got laid off and had no access to the email that was tied to all their bills and such.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 10:23 AM   #406
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Elliott Investment Management sent a letter to Suncor's board. Would have to think Mark Little is probably a bit warm this morning.

https://restoresuncor.com/
Also don't be lazy about the two factor authentication either. If there are options for email, phone or other method, make sure all options have been filled out.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:43 AM   #407
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeburger View Post
Same can be said about email addresses. I know people that used their work email as their primary email address for everything. Then they got laid off and had no access to the email that was tied to all their bills and such.
Oh yeah - this too. I know of people who use their corporate email address for their iCloud and Google Accounts - don't ever do this. Complete mayhem ensues when that gets cut off with no notice.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 04-28-2022 at 10:50 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #408
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Just a word of caution for anyone with a company cell phone / number that they also use for personal purposes.

In this day of so much being tied to your cell number (i.e. two factor authentication for CRA and your bank) it's a real PITA if you do get the axe and you have to surrender devices and or the phone number on short / no notice.

Best to lug around 2 phones to be honest, as inconvenient as it is.
Keep a detailed record of things you would need to change if you have to give up your phone number. I’ll take a small inconvienance and save $500+ per year. Haven’t paid a phone bill in a very long time.

Of course, this is a moot point with a lot of companies that let you keep your cell number when you leave/get fired.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:58 PM   #409
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most guys I know had to buy their cell number when they were let go.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:05 PM   #410
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I’ve taken mine for the last 3 companies without issue. And my current companies policy allows to port it if you leave/get told to leave. Many years ago I did the 2 phone dance. Never again.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:53 PM   #411
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Interesting, I've never heard of anyone who had to do that. It was less common to keep numbers in the past but it seems that has reversed in recent years and almost everyone I know of kept theirs if they left.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:08 PM   #412
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeburger View Post
Its funny you mention this, I have a lot of experience with this.

I do rock the dual-phone system, even though I own the Company. Not because I dont want to lose any information, but because I want a phone that can be used at my convenience and ignored at my convenience.

Whereas my personal phone is on me all the time.

But the email is important as well.

I deal with people via email using work emails quite often and we're dealing with Tax Information. I always confirm with the client that their preferred point of email contact is their work email as opposed to one they hold personally and separately.

You always hear the old adage that HR isnt there to help you against the Company, they're there to protect the Company similarly your Company cell phone is there for the benefit of the Company.

Especially in today's day and age where people move companies often, the importance of proprietary information and contacts and insecure work environments where changing markets can force layoffs.

If its not your phone....then it is Not. Your. Phone.

And neither is anything on it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 09:43 PM   #413
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Years ago I had transferred a long time personal phone number to the company I worked for. They assured me I would get it back if anything happened. Well I chose to leave and they wanted to charge me ~$600 to take my phone number with me.
These days quite a few companies may provide a monthly stipend if you use your own phone and plan. Saves them admin and account management. Key here is to have a really good plan especially if you travel.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 10:27 AM   #414
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got laid off and need to speak with a severance lawyer so any recommendations please send in.

after 7.5 years I was offered 5 weeks severance.

They also terminated effective immediately without just cause. don't they have to provide some reasonable notice based off years of service

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 05-30-2022 at 10:34 AM.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:39 AM   #415
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Just got laid off and need to speak with a severance lawyer so any recommendations please send in.

They also terminated effective immediately without just cause. don't they have to provide some reasonable notice based off years of service
If they release you immediately, part of severance is usually the 2 week notice portion. afaik
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:46 AM   #416
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

is there any exemption to the notice period on Employment standards?

Notice period Length of employment
1 week More than 90 days but less than 2 years
2 week 2 years but less than 4 years
4 week 4 years but less than 6 years
5 week 6 years but less than 8 years
6 week 8 years but less than 10 years
8 week 10 years or more

appreciate any feedback from people who have gone through similar. I have 7.5 years so not sure why/how they can terminate effectively immediately and not provide 5 weeks notice.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:47 AM   #417
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

5 weeks?!

Lawyer up time. More like 5 months. Gross, especially in this environment and the types of profits these companies are making.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 10:50 AM   #418
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

8 week 10 years or more

appreciate any feedback from people who have gone through similar. I have 7.5 years so not sure why/how they can terminate effectively immediately and not provide 5 weeks notice.
What industry? I got laid off from an O&G producer at 7.5 years with them once, and got ~21 weeks plus the effective date was a couple of weeks after I got the notice (so I got paid out the month). 5 weeks seems like just pay in lieu of notice and no severance - Id definitely get a lawyer.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:52 AM   #419
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

8 week 10 years or more

Employment Standards is the minimum. Common law entitlement for severance is way more.
You received the 5 weeks as pay in lieu instead of working notice so you've received the minimum under Employment Standards but you're likely entitled to way more than that.

Severance usually starts around 3-4+ weeks of pay per year of service based on your total compensation (including benefits, pension, bonus, etc). Depends on your role, circumstances, etc.
Don't sign anything. Talk to a lawyer.

Last edited by Torture; 05-30-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:56 AM   #420
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its funny you mention this, I have a lot of experience with this.

I do rock the dual-phone system, even though I own the Company. Not because I dont want to lose any information, but because I want a phone that can be used at my convenience and ignored at my convenience.

Whereas my personal phone is on me all the time.

But the email is important as well.

I deal with people via email using work emails quite often and we're dealing with Tax Information. I always confirm with the client that their preferred point of email contact is their work email as opposed to one they hold personally and separately.

You always hear the old adage that HR isnt there to help you against the Company, they're there to protect the Company similarly your Company cell phone is there for the benefit of the Company.

Especially in today's day and age where people move companies often, the importance of proprietary information and contacts and insecure work environments where changing markets can force layoffs.

If its not your phone....then it is Not. Your. Phone.

And neither is anything on it.
Yup. I hate carrying two phones but two phones is the way to go. If you just use one everything on there is company property.

Plus I can leave it upstairs in the office on the weekend.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote