Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #361
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I've never talked to someone who got rich on reward miles. Just credit card companies - Dave Ramsey
It's true, getting 2% of your spending back definitely won't make you rich
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #362
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand Dave's hatred of credit cards, but completely disagree with it. It's pretty easy for somebody like Dave Ramsey to say credit cards are the spawn of Satan and sound logical when the people calling into his shows are 200k in credit card debt.

Meanwhile, those of us with brains that pay balances in full at the end of the month continue to enjoy the benefits of credit over debit - building history, rewards, convenience, insurance, and safety.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #363
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only people who should hate credit cards are people with self control problems and retailers
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #364
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
It's true, getting 2% of your spending back definitely won't make you rich
But it is good to have some extra money.
caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #365
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Capital One is offering $250 cash back for their Aspire Travel World Elite Mastercard
Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #366
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Capital One is offering $250 cash back for their Aspire Travel World Elite Mastercard
But the sign up bonus points reduced to 10k from 35k.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #367
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm finding this an interesting card....1.75% cashback, with no restrictions (but a $120 fee). Tantalizingly close to the 2% cashback AMEX that was the stuff of legends on RFD.

http://www.bmo.com/main/personal/cre...te-mastercard#

Free auto club service. But Insurance is lacking trip cancellation insurance.

Not quite enough to move me from the Aspire travel...yet.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #368
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Im with capital one aspire too. Its almost perfect...20$ a year after accounting for the value of the renewal bonus and 2% of dollars spent as travel points. Redeemjng is super easy too.

Ive heard very good thkngs about the scotia travel amex. Might look to switch next year.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #369
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

My girlfriend has the Capital One Aspire Travel and I have the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite. Works out pretty good for travel. She just signed up for the TD Visa Infinite as well to take advantage of the 25,000 Aeroplan miles signup bonus they had going a couple weeks ago.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #370
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card holders get free $50 credit at shop.ca when you use coupon code: TD
no minimum spend.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #371
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I'm finding this an interesting card....1.75% cashback, with no restrictions (but a $120 fee). Tantalizingly close to the 2% cashback AMEX that was the stuff of legends on RFD.
Ha, Legendary was the Canadian Tire Mastercard- 5% cash back and 10% at Canadian Tire/ Marks work warehouse. I made about $1500 in the year I had it.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #372
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

TD is offering 50k bonus miles for TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card. Regular offer is 25k. It comes with lots of travel benefits.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #373
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caff View Post
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card holders get free $50 credit at shop.ca when you use coupon code: TD
no minimum spend.
3000 aeroplan points and can be something that costs $50 or less too. Literally can get something for free along with 3k aeroplan points. Pretty sweet deal.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #374
daredevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

this is the card I have:
https://www.servus.ca/my-life/produc...astercard.aspx

2 points for 1 dollar spent (conversion works to 2%)
points can be converted to cash to apply to future purchases (no limits), essentially cash back.
I have used the rewards and concierge service and was very impressed; there are zero restrictions for travel if you use it for that.

The annual fee is a little high, but if you are a volume user, it's not bad. (IMO better than that BMO world elite above).
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #375
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
3000 aeroplan points and can be something that costs $50 or less too. Literally can get something for free along with 3k aeroplan points. Pretty sweet deal.
Yeah, the offer is good until end of the year, so it is not too late to apply for the card and use the offer after you receive your new card.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #376
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Capital one announced today they are eliminating the tiered rewards system. Going forward 100 rewards points = $1 in travel so you can always get full value for the rewards. I have the capital one aspire travel world mastercard so this will be helpful.

For anyone looking for a cash back card with no fee, Tangerine is coming out with a no-fee cash back card that pays 2% on 2 different spending categories (groceries, gas, etc) and 1% on everything else. I'm pretty sure if you add a spouse you can each have 2 different categories for a total of 4. And the nice thing is you get the cash back paid monthly.

Details here: https://www.tangerine.ca/en/spending...ard/index.html
Old 10-10-2015, 07:54 AM   #377
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone have the CIBC Aventura card? Think it's time for a rewards card.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #378
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
Anyone have the CIBC Aventura card? Think it's time for a rewards card.
Had one in the past. Did not like it.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #379
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For someone who does a lot of flying on Westjet, I really like the Westjet RBC Elite Mastercard.

The drawback is obviously that you can only use the card on Westjet flights or vacation packages, but I find that your Westjet dollars build up fairly quickly.

As well, the $250 signup bonus and the $99 annual companion flight (with no date restrictions) is really nice to have around peak travel periods where flights are very expensive.

I did have the TD First Class Infinite Visa as well, but stopped using it regularly when I got the RBC Westjet. From all the reviews on this site though, the Capital One sounds like a good one to possibly sign up for.
Language is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #380
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Language View Post
For someone who does a lot of flying on Westjet, I really like the Westjet RBC Elite Mastercard.

The drawback is obviously that you can only use the card on Westjet flights or vacation packages, but I find that your Westjet dollars build up fairly quickly.

As well, the $250 signup bonus and the $99 annual companion flight (with no date restrictions) is really nice to have around peak travel periods where flights are very expensive.

I did have the TD First Class Infinite Visa as well, but stopped using it regularly when I got the RBC Westjet. From all the reviews on this site though, the Capital One sounds like a good one to possibly sign up for.
Don't forget the waived baggage fees.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credit card , credit cards , rewards points