Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2024, 10:32 AM   #1
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:
Default The E-bike thread....

I know there is a cycling thread, but I don't want to upset the pedal purists in there (which I understand as I used to be one), with 70 pound electric motorcycles.

Anyway, so as many know here I am all about the internal combustion, so is my wife. My garage is overflowing with vehicles and has spilled out into the street. But I really wanted a cool E-bike to rip around the campground, ride to the corner store... basically any trip under 5 kms, I can leave the dino juice burners in the garage. I wanted a bike that can be throttle only and doesn't require pedaling. Like who wants to pedal uphill to get a popsicle? I wanted it to be cheap. I wanted it to look cool. I wanted a range of at least 30 kms, and a top speed of over 40 KPH.

So after a ton of research, I settled on this thing.....

Ridstar q20

https://www.amazon.ca/Ridstar-Electr...s%2C121&sr=8-1

I think it's the first time I bought one of these weird named Chinesium products that actually works as advertised. The quality is quite good, it performs as advertised (I'm 6'1" and weigh 250 lbs and it will go 46 KPH). As for the range, I haven't been able to test it yet, but all indications suggest this will get 40-50 kms/charge. The pedals are basically on this thing as a technicality in my opinion as it requires no pedaling.

I plan to customize it a bit to match my black and gold Kawasaki Z900 Cafe.

To me, something like this is a meaningful way to address climate change as well. Take away as many of the short trips as possible in a fun and easy way.

Let's see your e-bikes.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:48 AM   #2
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That seat doesn't look all that comfortable if you plan on pedaling but since you're not, that won't matter.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:54 AM   #3
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
That seat doesn't look all that comfortable if you plan on pedaling but since you're not, that won't matter.
In a pinch it's do-able. I find with the pedal assist the pedaling is so light anyway, having optimal form isn't really an issue. But yeah, this thing is just a cheap motorcycle replacement mainly to rip around campgrounds that i can just heave in the back of my truck without ramps etc...
Old 03-30-2024, 11:47 AM   #4
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Should have allocated more research time to looking cool.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:54 AM   #5
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
LOL, my wife thinks its hideous too. I like it because it looks like an old 70's dirt bike.
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 12:02 PM   #6
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It is more expensive but I would have bought this one. I have ridden it and it is super fun!

https://kraftybikes.com/collections/...fty-cafe-racer

Enjoy your new ride!
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 12:02 PM   #7
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
pylon modifies his ICE vehicles - I suspect we'll see some modifications to his bike along the lines of these.

The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 12:25 PM   #8
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
pylon modifies his ICE vehicles - I suspect we'll see some modifications to his bike along the lines of these.

That's not done right. The tassles should match the fender.
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 03:07 PM   #9
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
That's not done right. The tassles should match the fender.
That one small misstep does ruin it.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:03 PM   #10
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
It is more expensive but I would have bought this one. I have ridden it and it is super fun!

https://kraftybikes.com/collections/...fty-cafe-racer

Enjoy your new ride!
That looks badass.

I have two Jetson Bolts from Costco for camping. Also keep them for the kids and their friends to bomb around on in Canmore. (Jetson Bolt Up Adult Electric Ride On| Easy-Folding | Collapsible Handlebar | Carrying Handle |Twist Throttle & Cruise Control | 14" Wheels | Speeds up to 15.5 MPH | Range: Up to 15 Miles, Ages 12+ https://a.co/d/0IyWocM)

My DD for going to work is a RadRover. It's fast now that I put a 750 watt bafang motor in it. Also upgraded the brakes so it can actually stop. Bolton Bikes sells great upgrade kits for Rad bikes.

I have a Giant Reign E+ for mountain biking and it's a machine. I love that thing.

Ebikes rule.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 05:10 PM   #11
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a specilized tero x from work to commute.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 08:53 AM   #12
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That looks badass.

I have two Jetson Bolts from Costco for camping. Also keep them for the kids and their friends to bomb around on in Canmore. (Jetson Bolt Up Adult Electric Ride On| Easy-Folding | Collapsible Handlebar | Carrying Handle |Twist Throttle & Cruise Control | 14" Wheels | Speeds up to 15.5 MPH | Range: Up to 15 Miles, Ages 12+ https://a.co/d/0IyWocM)

My DD for going to work is a RadRover. It's fast now that I put a 750 watt bafang motor in it. Also upgraded the brakes so it can actually stop. Bolton Bikes sells great upgrade kits for Rad bikes.

I have a Giant Reign E+ for mountain biking and it's a machine. I love that thing.

Ebikes rule.
It is definitely badass but way to heavy for our Crosstrek to carry with a second bike for the spouse.

I agree about Giant! I ended up getting an Explore-E+ for my first e-bike and absolutely love it. I can make it from Vernon to downtown Kelowna and back on the rail trail and the the Crosstrek can handle it and my wife’s Cube for the trips back home to Canmore.

Cube has some great bikes as well.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post: