Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2022, 06:51 PM   #3561
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since Netflix is the topic of conversation more recently, I have two thoughts:

In the past year or so I've noticed Netflix pushing foreign action and dramas to me. I'm not really big on action movies, but this guy somehow shows up playing the same good guy gangster in multiple movies. He's this decades Steven Seagal:
Spoiler!

Second thought? Any guesses where tomorrow and end of week Netflix's price will be? Seems like it'd be a fun game. I think tomorrow it bounces up to 235. Friday I think it drops to 215. In the next month I could see this dropping at some point to 200.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:13 PM   #3562
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
At the end of the day Netflix is loosing out because other streaming services is offering better content at a better price.

Plus, Plex.
Second time I've heard of Plex today. How exactly does this work? I was trying to figure it out on their site before downloading the app. sounds too good to be true.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:14 PM   #3563
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Second time I've heard of Plex today. How exactly does this work? I was trying to figure it out on their site before downloading the app. sounds too good to be true.
It's a media server application, you still need to get the media
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:19 PM   #3564
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Since Netflix is the topic of conversation more recently, I have two thoughts:

In the past year or so I've noticed Netflix pushing foreign action and dramas to me. I'm not really big on action movies, but this guy somehow shows up playing the same good guy gangster in multiple movies. He's this decades Steven Seagal:
Spoiler!

Second thought? Any guesses where tomorrow and end of week Netflix's price will be? Seems like it'd be a fun game. I think tomorrow it bounces up to 235. Friday I think it drops to 215. In the next month I could see this dropping at some point to 200.
Netflix is basically an 18th century Iberian empire, a middle power that made a huge land grab, and is struggling to hold it now that the big boys in the North see the market, and are starting to play the game.

Pivoting to regions that big guys aren't interested in is a good way to buy time, I think in terms of profit opportunities today it's probably the right move, but I'm not sure it will be remembered as the right move in 10 years.

I actually think they've done a lot of good things with reality, and historic dramas but they haven't showed the IP enough care, the seasons are too short, the release schedules are too far apart, a lot of premises aren't self serious enough, and they let shows overlap with each other too much. One way or another they need to find a way to intrench in western markets with IP that will last longer than 3 years to remain a credible challenger to Amazon, Disney, Apple, HBO.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #3565
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shopify taking major hits more recently. Thoughts? Can’t say I’m into the speculative side of investing after getting burned a few times, but I am intrigued by the drop. No idea what’s coming up for them though.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:11 PM   #3566
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Netflix is basically an 18th century Iberian empire, a middle power that made a huge land grab, and is struggling to hold it now that the big boys in the North see the market, and are starting to play the game.

Pivoting to regions that big guys aren't interested in is a good way to buy time, I think in terms of profit opportunities today it's probably the right move, but I'm not sure it will be remembered as the right move in 10 years.

I actually think they've done a lot of good things with reality, and historic dramas but they haven't showed the IP enough care, the seasons are too short, the release schedules are too far apart, a lot of premises aren't self serious enough, and they let shows overlap with each other too much. One way or another they need to find a way to intrench in western markets with IP that will last longer than 3 years to remain a credible challenger to Amazon, Disney, Apple, HBO.
They probably should have bought MGM a few years before Amazon did. I also think they should buy spinmaster. Full ownership of paw patrol outside the USA, plus a new toy division to start capitalizing on IP.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 04-21-2022, 03:18 PM   #3567
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
It's a media server application, you still need to get the media
I wish i knew what that meant
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 06:21 AM   #3568
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

No idea who is advising Twitter. They reject the offer and adopt the poison pill only to go back and accept the bad offer? I must be missing something here.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:59 AM   #3569
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oof, pretty rough last few days in the commodities space. This is what it must feel like to have been in tech the last few months.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #3570
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I wish i knew what that meant
Netflix was a good idea for a while but now that there are a bunch of different streaming sources that end up costing as much as cable, people are getting back to pirating their media.

Apparently now that everything is digital and streamed, its much easier to find high quality content as soon as it's released.

Plex is the go to "netflix like app" that provides UI to your personal media library. Check out the Plex thread in the tech talk forum if you want to be really confused!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #3571
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought some Shopify, it's back to March 2020 prices. Don't like catching falling knives, but it makes money and PE is 20 now.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:29 AM   #3572
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Oof, pretty rough last few days in the commodities space. This is what it must feel like to have been in tech the last few months.
This might be a good time to jump on BCD, an ETF that someone clued me into last month.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:12 AM   #3573
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Bought some Shopify, it's back to March 2020 prices. Don't like catching falling knives, but it makes money and PE is 20 now.
Not saying it’s a wrong move or anything, but considering the rumour they were buying some other company for a Billion and a few other things likely indicates to me at least, they’re probably going to ask for further debt funding. That’s the reason I’m personally staying away. But if you’re in it for the longer term seems like a decent play.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:17 AM   #3574
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Not saying it’s a wrong move or anything, but considering the rumour they were buying some other company for a Billion and a few other things likely indicates to me at least, they’re probably going to ask for further debt funding. That’s the reason I’m personally staying away. But if you’re in it for the longer term seems like a decent play.
I'm not trying to time the bottom perfectly, not a huge position, plan to hold for a long time.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:36 PM   #3575
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
No idea who is advising Twitter. They reject the offer and adopt the poison pill only to go back and accept the bad offer? I must be missing something here.
On a hostile take over bid you protect yourself first in order to keep all options open to you. Then you negotiate to try to drive up the price. Musk probably threatened to have an emergency meeting to replace the board.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:06 AM   #3576
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
On a hostile take over bid you protect yourself first in order to keep all options open to you. Then you negotiate to try to drive up the price. Musk probably threatened to have an emergency meeting to replace the board.
Sure, so the offer was unacceptable last week and this week they just accept it? That's bizarre. I guess the board can sell their 1000 shares in protest though.

It's just a strange approach to me, and I'm not sure what they accomplished with that tactic.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:30 AM   #3577
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm adding to my AC position.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:38 PM   #3578
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to wait until after the Fed does their thing next week before buying anything.

Very happy I took Oil and Gas profits a couple weeks ago. Finally got a trade right for a change.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:27 PM   #3579
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just lost all my playoff spending money in the markets, ahhh yes!
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:47 PM   #3580
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck to those in tech. I don't know the macro economic situation but today was red across the board but particularly bad in tech.