Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #3321
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I'm going to be interested to see what is the AOL-Time Warner merger of this bubble. You've got to think one of these firms is going to use their shares as currency to buy something with more durable value.
You mean like Tesla buying bitcoin.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #3322
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest if I’m Tesla I’m spending my shares to buy a car company (if it’s possible), and I’m not convinced that’s a dumb idea. The shares are wildly overvalued, and if you can spend those as a currency to buy a legitimate business, that’s brilliant. Someone is going to do something questionable here though, and it’s fascinating to sit and watch it play out.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #3323
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
You don’t think it’s the third largest car company in the world having delivered a whopping 56 vehicles?

Fundamentals and this market are hilariously out of whack at this point.
Rivian's market cap is currently $20B higher than Volkswagon (which includes Porsche and Audi)

Rivian and Lucid are worth more than Volkswagon and Diaimler (Mercedes)

Would you rather own Mercedes, Porsche, Audi and Volkswagon, or a couple start-ups that may or may not get off the ground with their lineup of one or two vehicles that they can't deliver?

Tesla is currently worth 3 times as much as Ford, GM, Volkswagon and Daimler combined!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 05:09 PM   #3324
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I decided to get in in Rivian a few days ago because EV stocks so hot right now. Lucid makes my spidey sense tingle something off about them but don't care been into them since the stock was 5x lower. Only question is when will I get out will probably hedge and dump say 60% then see what happens.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:10 PM   #3325
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To be honest if I’m Tesla I’m spending my shares to buy a car company (if it’s possible), and I’m not convinced that’s a dumb idea. The shares are wildly overvalued, and if you can spend those as a currency to buy a legitimate business, that’s brilliant. Someone is going to do something questionable here though, and it’s fascinating to sit and watch it play out.
I dont think thats dumb at all, it's objectively a good idea.

If Tesla (or any of these firms) convert shares at market prices to assets they come out way ahead, because the shares are trading well above any reasonable assessment of their fair value.

I meant from AOLs perspective - they traded over valued shares for Time Warner, which had tons of durable assets (CNN, HBO, a movie studio, etc). Steve Case is still a billionaire because of that deal.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #3326
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

sell some

if it keeps going up - great

but take some off the table
Old 11-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #3327
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, it would be smart of Tesla to use the market cap to buy other, realistically priced, assets

Or, they could buy Rivian and Lucd, and just keeping eliminating competitors
Old 11-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #3328
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The risk in that is people start to value you like a car company instead of a tech company and look at earnings rather than future growth.

When you buy a car company you are buying a brand name and a supply chain. Would those things have value for Tesla that they can leverage
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:38 PM   #3329
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

BTW Slava,

I quoted you above, but my post wasn't directed at you. I know you know those things, and I was simply adding to your post.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:39 PM   #3330
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The risk in that is people start to value you like a car company instead of a tech company and look at earnings rather than future growth.

When you buy a car company you are buying a brand name and a supply chain. Would those things have value for Tesla that they can leverage
I have been on a tour of 1 car factory, and I don't know how it compares to Teslas Manufacturing methods, but I assume if Tesla were to buy something it would be more focused on factories, employees, equipment... in an acquisition, not necessarily the brands. Tesla has a great brand, their price points honestly aren't looking too out to lunch now that other EVs are reaching market, if they were confident / ready to scale big time, buying factories might make sense.

When you have the market cap of Tesla supply chains aren't that hard to scale, everyone wants to work with you. And like others have mentioned other car brands might pull Tesla down to an extent.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:45 PM   #3331
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well there are some harsh realities that Tesla and Tesla shareholders will face. Even valued as Apple, they’ve got a lot of issues when it comes to valuation. If you contrast them to Google, Amazon or companies like that and their growth, it’s not a pretty comparison for Tesla.

But even if you give Tesla the fullest benefit of the doubt, and all the market share, profit margins and everything else that Apple has today, they’re still a questionable value. That’s not just saying “I’m not sure they can make it”; it’s saying “let’s assume that’s all overcome, the math is still questionable at best.”

That scenario is essentially saying Tesla can overcome the homogeneities of phones as opposed to cars, the profit margin Apple makes off apps and music as opposed to where Tesla is earning theirs, the fact that the Apple margins are about 3x companies like Toyota and VW, and the list goes on. Assuming they’re successful in all of that, they could well be still overvalued at todays price…and that’s really saying something.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #3332
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-soprano View Post
Curious if anyone bought Rivian? 80b valuation was too high for me, and now we're sitting at 170b lol.

I picked up some on the first day of trading $109. Doing okay for now, but I am worried about a burst once reality sets in. I don’t really think it’s worth what it is, but I am happy to ride the gains.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:11 PM   #3333
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slava, where are you aiming your money (industry or stock specific) these days given the valuations gone sky high?

On a side note, the other day I posted I didn't believe in facebook as a stock but what are others' opinions on their future Meta platform? I'm big on Apple because they do well with anything they put their hands to, following wise, but Facebook is jumping to the forefront as a first mover. I think the virtual world will be the next big thing as a time waster, and it seems as though their platform will be designed to get micro transaction payments. Seems like a future revenue explosion (though I haven't bought them yet). Thoughts?

As for Amazon, I was shocked this past earnings where they may not make a profit next quarter. They keep going up and I'm holding, but it's concerning to hear they're not doing that well. I'm thinking of cashing out if it hits $3700 or so.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:17 PM   #3334
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I hope am thinking of taking a position in Ford as I think Ford might merge at some point.

Tesla at least has a lot of technology, I'm not convinced Lucid and Rivian are anything but car manufacturers.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #3335
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
I hope am thinking of taking a position in Ford as I think Ford might merge at some point.

Tesla at least has a lot of technology, I'm not convinced Lucid and Rivian are anything but car manufacturers.

And Tesla had a head start.

Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Porsche are making ECs now. As is Korea. And everyone else.

The valuations of Lucid and Rivian are (somehow) even more ridiculous than Tesla.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #3336
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And Tesla had a head start.

Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Porsche are making ECs now. As is Korea. And everyone else.

The valuations of Lucid and Rivian are (somehow) even more ridiculous than Tesla.
Lucid has had this valuation before, so I'm watching the options, see if there are good deal and I'll buy some put options for 3 month

Old 11-16-2021, 11:04 PM   #3337
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If I was running Tesla/Lucid/Rivian I'd buy something else. Buy a renewable power company/power plants/utility and say its part of electric synergy. I agree if they bought GM people might value them like a car company.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:17 PM   #3338
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If I was running Tesla/Lucid/Rivian I'd buy something else. Buy a renewable power company/power plants/utility and say its part of electric synergy. I agree if they bought GM people might value them like a car company.
Tesla kinda already does through Solar City's microgen now Tesla Energy.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:37 AM   #3339
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Tesla kinda already does through Solar City's microgen now Tesla Energy.

I'm looking at that from a scale perspective. For them to move the needle on their market cap they'd need to make a $100 B acquisition.

It isn't that there would actually be synergies, its that you could pay for it in overvalued stock and then Musk could go on Twitter and talk about synergies.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #3340
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm looking at that from a scale perspective. For them to move the needle on their market cap they'd need to make a $100 B acquisition.

It isn't that there would actually be synergies, its that you could pay for it in overvalued stock and then Musk could go on Twitter and talk about synergies.
They'd have to buy someone like DUK or NEE to make a dent.