Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #681
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Oh and 23 year old me wouldn't have known good whisky if it hit him in the face. That much is obvious.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #682
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

You know how there's usually one liquor that, as a kid, you got absolutely wasted on and have trouble drinking it afterwards?

That's me and scotch. I regret that as I want to like it, but I just can't stomach it
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #683
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
You know how there's usually one liquor that, as a kid, you got absolutely wasted on and have trouble drinking it afterwards?

That's me and scotch. I regret that as I want to like it, but I just can't stomach it
That's me and vodka. I get itchy, hate the flavor and in extreme cases, I have had hives after drinking vodka.

I overdid scotch and cognac. Luckily, I have "recovered" from it and now enjoy it casually rather than pound back a glass like nothing (although I still don't like Dewar's).

@ Kermitology
I know I am supposed to give cask strength a teaspoon or a few drops of water, but I have never seen a true metamorphosis in flavor that I like. Often, a new flavor is highlighted at what seems like the expense of sacrificing another flavor (not enjoyable IMO). Sherry cask types seem to be the worst affected by this IMO. Especially the Sherry Kilchoman I own. Oddly for this one, the burn feels worse after water is added. It is not diminished when water is added.

I've also picked up a weird habit for cask strength. I'll slosh a bit in my mouth initially almost similar in nature to using mouth wash. This places the drink on my palate and often triggers saliva. I'll let it sit for a few moments to a few minutes, then sip it normally like I would any other scotch or whiskey. That being said, I'll also consume cask strength in slightly smaller quantities than other scotch or whiskey.

Another slight change for me is that I really loved smoky scotch and whiskey till about a year ago. Lately, I've been enjoy the sweeter beverages a lot more. This ranges from rums, cognac and certain anejo tequilas. So I've been choosing more casual sipper scotch/whiskey vs my typical Lagavulin, Laphroaig etc.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #684
Homeslice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
While I've never actual gone to this, I do believe that is the one. I have also heard great things about it from a few people who have actually gone. Don't plan to drive afterwards is advice I've heard from most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
That one sounds like the same event I mentioned in the OP of this old thread from years ago.

I was just talking to my cousin about that the other day. We were reminiscing about how insanely trashed we got and how great it was to taste a whole ton of scotch that I wouldn't normally drop $100/btl on just in case I hated it. I can't recall how we got the tickets on the cheap. I think he might have been part of their preferred customer program or something like that.

My only regret is that I didn't take better notes. That and I was so wasted I dropped the free glass they gave us when I got off the Ctrain at the end of the night.
Excellent, thanks gents! I plan on going this November so I'll be sure to post any notes I make on the night...and I'll also be sure to pace myself - I'm not a light weight by any means but a good couple glasses of scotch in, my notes will start to look like caveman chicken scratch.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #685
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Sambuca for me. Yuck.

Currently sipping Macallan Amber. Bought on sale at Coop on a whim. Not digging it. I'm a peat and smoke guy but trying to find a new niche in the scotch world.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #686
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I went before I had an iPhone. I think it would be awesome, albeit maybe a bit dorky, to take verbal notes by recording your thoughts using an app on your phone.

If nothing else it'll be hilarious to listen to yourself after and hear the progression from coherent thoughtful tasting notes to a series of grunts and indiscernible grumbles.

Edit: another random thought from that evening. I remember them giving us a glass and they had bottles of water for free. The water was to drink but also to wash out your glass between each tasting. But most people seemed to not rince their glasses and would just go station to station.

Well the Scottish guy manning the Lagavulin station did not appreciate this and would openly shun and shame people who didn't clean the swill from their glasses before tasting his glorious whisky.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 08-18-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2016, 08:51 PM   #687
Homeslice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Malibu Rum for me...was my first experience with alcohol, finished a 2-6 in 5 mins, followed by 5 mins of backflips and 12 hours of puking. Still can't stand the smell of Pina Coladas...

...hence Scotch!
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #688
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tequila for me. Damn you Sauza! Rum tried it's darnedest, but I couldn't stay mad at rum.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:42 PM   #689
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Hey all - looking for some collective CP help; I'm super new to scotches but I've heard that Willow Park holds a pretty awesome scotch tasting (both here and in the newspaper) but I can't seem to find the event to purchase tickets.

Is this the same thing as the "Whiskey in the Warehouse" event? https://www.willowpark.net/Events/In-Store
I already bought my tickets to this event! Let me know if you are going, I'll say hi.

I recently got into scotch less than 3 months ago, and OMG. Where have you been all my life? I was lucky enough to get a private tasting at Willow Park because my friend works there. I can't remember all the scotch we tried but we had 6 different ones from different regions. At the end of the tasting, Will, let us try the Oban 18 and Glenfarclas 20 single barrel.

I have discovered that I love the peaty scotch the most with Lagavulin 16 being my hands down fav so far. I even bought a bottle of Octomore 6.1 (peatiest scotch in the world). I have in my collection Kilchoman Vintage 2007, Bowmore 12, Teeling Small Batch, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Nikka Coffey Malt.

I started a group on FB called ScotchSwap where we swap 200ml of scotch at a time if anyone wants to check join! It's a good way to try different things without having to buy a whole bottle.
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #690
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Coffey malt and grain
Saw this thread bumped. Was going to be all scotch-hipsterish and post a pic of a bottle I brought back from Japan that I was sooooooo pumped about because I've never seen it here, and I see it posted about 3 times here now. Well... at least it has a velvet lined case unlike the one's I've seen here.

Anyway I love the Coffey Malt. And thanks for the heads up about the From The Barrel at Costco. Grabbed two, and they still have some at Balzac if anyone's interested in it.

On the topic of the Willow Park tasting, I've mentioned it before in this thread, but would anyone be interested in a CP scotch event? Either get a bunch of us down to Co-Op or Willow, or even an event where we get together and everyone brings a bottle of their favorite?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #691
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mrs. Puppet just surprised me with a bottle of Tamdhu 10, which has apparently recently returned to the market. It's a Speyside, and it's a tasty one.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #692
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

^^ This is good to know, I had only ever sampled the batch strength and really wanted to see what the rest of the lineup was like because the one I tried was essentially perfect for me: sherry cask & full burn (+ watered added)
Old 08-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #693
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I've been to the WP Scotch event, and I have to say.. Go to CSN's in the fall. It's waaaay better.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #694
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Anyone else heading to the World Of Whisky Festival tonight?

Here's the list of sweet sweet whiskies for tonight:

http://www.coopwinespiritsbeer.com/u..._28,_2016).pdf
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #695
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to the Willow Park event the other night. Next time I'll leave the wallet at home.

Picked up this delightful treat, however.
Spoiler!
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #696
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

My family & I are really getting into scotch and for my Dad's birthday, we were thinking of doing a family scotch tasting. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for decent places to do this in Calgary? We don't want just flights of Scotch, but staff who actually know what they're talking about too and can tell us about what we're trying. We were looking into Buchanan's, but it looks like that's a restaurant where kids are allowed and that's not the right idea for an adult night. We'd prefer it to be at a pub/bar that also serves food. Any ideas?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #697
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
My family & I are really getting into scotch and for my Dad's birthday, we were thinking of doing a family scotch tasting. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for decent places to do this in Calgary? We don't want just flights of Scotch, but staff who actually know what they're talking about too and can tell us about what we're trying. We were looking into Buchanan's, but it looks like that's a restaurant where kids are allowed and that's not the right idea for an adult night. We'd prefer it to be at a pub/bar that also serves food. Any ideas?
Could talk to Willow Park Liquor. They host a ton of events and they might be able to pull something together for you, or at least point you in the right direction

Last edited by CMPunk; 04-06-2017 at 09:21 AM.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #698
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

One Empire bills itself as ALBERTA'S FINEST WHISK(E)Y BAR & RESTAURANT but I haven't been there. Buchanon's is a restaurant but my experience is it is pretty adult oriented. No screaming toddlers :-)

Not a restaurant, but Kensington Wine Market has the most knowledgeable staff around, esp. Andrew and Hunter. They will let you taste most scotches on site including the Society bottles. They also run regular tastings and you might talk to them about something private.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #699
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

One Empire looks pretty cool. They have a private room for larger groups too.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #700
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been working my way through a bottle of 25 Year Old Speyside Single Malt.

Something about the function of taxation seems to make Scotch disappear more quickly than normal.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote