Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #541
Mark
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I thought I saw an interactive scotch flavour map posted recently, but I've gone back over a ton of pages and can't seem to find it. I can find a lot of images of flavour maps, but I liked the interactive version where you could only show certain areas. Does anybody know where I can find it?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #542
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

This one?
http://scotchgit.bitbucket.org/
Old 08-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #543
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
What a thing of beauty
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #544
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wonderful
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #545
Mark
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, thank you very much. I couldn't find it anywhere!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #546
carbonrod
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think this needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It lists Lag 12 as costing more and ranking better than lag 16. Dalmore 12 that far down? Highland Park 15 costs more than 18?
carbonrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:15 AM   #547
Millertime
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone a fan of the Glenrothes 1998 or MaCallan Gold? Got a bottle of each. Had a couple of shots from both bottles and was not a fan of either.
Millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:21 AM   #548
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime View Post
Anyone a fan of the Glenrothes 1998 or MaCallan Gold? Got a bottle of each. Had a couple of shots from both bottles and was not a fan of either.
Yes... What do you want for them?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #549
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonrod View Post
I think this needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It lists Lag 12 as costing more and ranking better than lag 16. Dalmore 12 that far down? Highland Park 15 costs more than 18?
Good point that I never really noticed. I used this, and others like it, to give me an idea on what the profile of a particular scotch would be like, and find others like it. I don't think I ever paid attention to the rankings
Old 09-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #550
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Recent UK visitors brought me one hell of a bottle, my uncle doesn't like scotch. It was opened with maybe 3-4 oz out of it.

Oban 32 year - only distributed to distillery visitors circa 2010.

It is far and away the best spirit I have ever experienced. It will be put away for special occasions, if I can manage to keep my lips off of it!

Quick google search puts the bottle at about $1000 US, I will need to treat him like royalty, for all time.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #551
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

'Tis soon the season for rosy cheeks.

Question, has anyone ever tried Kilchoman scotch? It is supposed to be in the same range as Lagavulin, Uigeadail, Bruichladdich.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #552
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried a taste of Kilchoman. Definitely a Islay scotch, but I think less peaty or smokey than the ones you listed. The thing that you should be aware of is that they have only been producing a short while, so all of their scotches are going to be about 4 to 6 years of age. That taken into consideration, it was still very good. When Kilchoman hits the 10 year mark in a couple of years, I think that there are going to be a great many people lining up for a bottle, given what they have achieved so far. If you can get one on sale, I'd say give it a try, just so you can tell people that you've been a supporter from the very beginning.

Question for anyone who drinks more on the Speyside side. Given a choice between BenRiach 12 or 16, or GlenDronach 12 or 15, or Johnny Walker Gold, or Sheep Dip, which which way would you go? I can only buy one, or maybe two, and I'm almost at a coin flip stage.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #553
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Tried a taste of Kilchoman. Definitely a Islay scotch, but I think less peaty or smokey than the ones you listed. The thing that you should be aware of is that they have only been producing a short while, so all of their scotches are going to be about 4 to 6 years of age. That taken into consideration, it was still very good. When Kilchoman hits the 10 year mark in a couple of years, I think that there are going to be a great many people lining up for a bottle, given what they have achieved so far. If you can get one on sale, I'd say give it a try, just so you can tell people that you've been a supporter from the very beginning.

Question for anyone who drinks more on the Speyside side. Given a choice between BenRiach 12 or 16, or GlenDronach 12 or 15, or Johnny Walker Gold, or Sheep Dip, which which way would you go? I can only buy one, or maybe two, and I'm almost at a coin flip stage.
GlenDronach 15 is a really good malt, heavily sherried. That or the BenRiach would be my recommendation
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top Shelf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 02:06 AM   #554
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Thanks Harry, that's great to know on the tasting side and I'm definitely interested in nabbing a bottle to try with friends.

Based on this:
http://www.coopwinespiritsbeer.com/u...rald_Proof.pdf

Co-op looks like it will be offering the Kilchoman Sherry Cask for $110 from November 9-16. Based on what I noticed when I went to the store, was that the red Co-op labeled Kilchoman sherry cask is actually the cask strength at 59% ABV rather than the regular sherry cask at 46% ABV. I noticed this equivalent going for $110 USD on another site vs $110 CAD in the above flyer.

I also noticed a Co-op branded Kilchoman 100% Islay there going for $100 CAD (50% ABV). This seems to be a decently good price as well in comparison to what online prices are offering (approx $82 USD).

The Kilchoman interested me because of its price being above $100 but not in a locked glass case like the other scotches, and it was sitting up on a shelf away from most eyes. That's why I was intrigued.

Last edited by DoubleF; 11-02-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:25 AM   #555
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll put this here...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...n-whisky-glass

Last edited by Flames89; 11-02-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #556
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know it's not Scotch but that Crown Royal Apple is pretty damn tasty.

Anybody had the maple?
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #557
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
GlenDronach 15 is where my money has been spent and I enjoy it a lot
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #558
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I like both BenRiach 12 and Glendronach 15 for the sherry.

KWM folks told me that most of the BR12 is actually 17 years old - apparently that's the case:
http://whiskyanalysis.com/index.php/...n-sherry-wood/
Old 11-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #559
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
I know it's not Scotch but that Crown Royal Apple is pretty damn tasty.

Anybody had the maple?
Yeah, I've tried it. I'm not a huge fan. It's like someone poured Maple Syrup at a 10:1 ratio into a blender then served it. It doesn't even jive nicely together IMO. It starts off tasting like maple, then the alcohol of Crown then Aunt Jemima syrup. Someone at a party I was at did say that mixing it with Coca Cola made it taste like vanilla coke, but I don't trust stupid drunk people's drink suggestions and don't believe a maple whiskey could create a vanilla flavor in Coke. It's ok as a shot for sure, but casual sipping, not my thing.

For casual sipping, I'd suggest the "sweet sippin Maple Whiskey" from Highwood Distillers that comes in a maple leaf shaped bottle instead. This one just tastes like Maple syrup with a minor buzz. Not a staple of mine and not my preference, but the wife likes it with a little water and ice. I think it's around $39 at Superstore liquor.

For the record, I believe Alberta Premium Whiskey is "a bit sweet", so your experience with Crown Maple may differ greatly from mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2015, 12:29 PM   #560
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
For casual sipping, I'd suggest the "sweet sippin Maple Whiskey" from Highwood Distillers that comes in a maple leaf shaped bottle instead.
Yeah that one's much better. I found the Crown to be way too sweet and fake maple tasting.

There's another one that's quite nice. Don't remember the name though. Starts with an "S" and they make a regular and creamy version.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post: