Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2021, 11:10 AM   #221
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just now in an interview with Ryan Leslie, Treliving says he made the move because they felt they could not (or would not) be able to re-sign Rittich next year.

Now, the question is, was that for cap reasons or because they didn't like the player enough to keep him?

Treliving continued by saying that Rittich has been a good goalie for them and deserves credit for working hard and turning his game into an NHL level game.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:10 AM   #222
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dubas seems to be overpaying again as usual.

I love Rittich, and I actually hope that he re-signs here next season. I still think he has starter ability in him if he gets more consistent, but he is one heck of a backup right now IMO, and is part of the reason why the Flames SHOULD have the best (or one of the best) tandems in the league.

However, trading him away right now is the right call to make. Maybe he comes back in the off-season, maybe he re-signs with Toronto, or maybe he goes elsewhere. I would think that the Flames are still going to need a backup for next year unless they want to go with Domingue (doubtful), Zagidulin (maybe, but doubtful - let's see how he does if he gets games), or Parsons (I am really high on Parsons, but he needs to get back to where he used to be 2 seasons ago, and is not NHL ready right now).

I hope Treliving has another more or three to make. The Flames' UFAs aren't very enticing, but they can fill very specific roles that a team may have.

Team needs a centre? Ryan is one of the NHL's best faceoff centres, is good on the PK, and is a general utility guy. Not physical or exceptionally fast, but few warts in his game. Dependable depth centre for a team weak on the draw or down the middle.

PK sucking? Nordstrom is your man. Elite-level PK'er. Doesn't hurt you (anymore - seems ok now after a terrible start under Ward) 5on5, but isn't productive either. However, if you need your PK fixed, there aren't too many guys in the NHL that are better.

Team is small and weak? Maybe a team needs someone like Ritchie who can hit, fight, and is generally an all-round decent depth guy. Can score too, though not much to offer offensively. Works hard, finishes hits regularly, good on the forecheck... just some physical depth.

I would be surprised if Leivo gets picked up - if he was going to be traded, I would imagine that it would have been Toronto and he would have moved with Rittich. Maybe an eastern team remembers Simon from playing with Crosby and wants that utility, but I would be surprised. Nesterov started off well, and I argue that he does move the puck well and is defending better now, but he doesn't have much offence to contribute, and if I am looking for a depth defencemen, I would a solid physical defensive guy, or a guy with some offensive ability that I can use for my 2nd unit PP in case of injuries. Stone is more likely to go, IMO, but neither of them are very likely.

Hopefully the Flames can still sell a couple of more, but this seems like a buyer's market this year for sure. Not expecting much. However, I will be a little bit surprised if Ryan doesn't move - that's solid utility, and with the Flames willing to eat half, that's an easy guy to insert into your lineup.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:10 AM   #223
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
The alternative might have been paying him $2,750,000 and getting nothing in return. In comparison to that, I think it is a good thing.

It's hard to say what the market is in this environment but, as much as we might criticize Treliving for the results, I don't think anyone doubts his work ethic - I'm guessing he worked every opportunity and this ultimately was the best one for the team.
Yes, they basically have given up.
It’s better than nothing and the owners get to save money. Kudos to Treliving.

Btw, this is not your local warehouse. Hard work means nothing when you put out a losing product.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #224
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I wouldn't be upset if he was brought back but unless he's ok with being a backup I just can't see it no matter how much he loves the team.
It's a possibility that he returns to the Flames but I think he may just get a starter role somewhere or at least a good contract and utilizing his free agent status.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:14 AM   #225
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
So, in reality, an actual amount of remaining/retained money doesn't really matter, because it would have been paid to the player anyway if he was not traded, correct?
Correct. This saves the Flames money overall because they'll be paying less for Domingue and the retained salary on Rittich than they were for Rittich alone.

The only risk when retaining salary in a situation like this is the loss of cap flexibility, but that's not really an issue because the Flames won't be looking to add to their cap anyway. You can't bank unused cap space for the future, so you might as well use it while you can.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:15 AM   #226
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt Rittich plays 10 games with the Leafs
Old 04-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #227
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

It will be interesting to see how Rittich plays in Toronto under a different goalie coach with all the talk here about Sigalet and now Lababera.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #228
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Just now in an interview with Ryan Leslie, Treliving says he made the move because they felt they could not (or would not) be able to re-sign Rittich next year.

Now, the question is, was that for cap reasons or because they didn't like the player enough to keep him?

Treliving continued by saying that Rittich has been a good goalie for them and deserves credit for working hard and turning his game into an NHL level game.
I think Rittich likely doesn't want to settle for a backup position and he made that known to Flames management. There will be opportunities out there with teams that don't have an established starter for 1A/1B situation. Heck if he plays well for them the Leafs could go forward with him and Campbell next season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #229
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at the cabin for the weekend so missed all the excitement.

Originally was a bit shocked and disheartened at the return, but after reviewing things it was good value. Didn’t remember that BSD’s contract was done after this year and I agree the odds of him resigning here considering the competition and his desire at a #1 slot wass limited. Wish him all the best as he’s a great personality and probably an almost perfect personality for a backup goalie - quirky, funny, great team guy. Good luck BSD, and if the Leafs meet the Coilers in the playoffs, I’ll be pulling hard for your new team, despite my general distaste for the Leafs.

On that note, watched the PVR of the Oilers game not expecting much. Told the wife I’d be back soon as I’d like be fast forwarding a lot... pleasantly surprised with the Flames turning in their best overall effort in quite some time. Agree with the comments that Markstrom had one of his easier shut outs, and nice to see the big guys not only showing up on the scoresheet, but looking good all over the ice.

Coupled with a nice time at the cabin, a good hike at Crescent Falls, and a bit too much booze - was a pretty damn good weekend.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:25 AM   #230
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My guess is they can’t afford him. With a flat cap and paying markstrom $6 million they need to save money on the backup.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #231
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think Rittich likely doesn't want to settle for a backup position and he made that known to Flames management. There will be opportunities out there with teams that don't have an established starter for 1A/1B situation. Heck if he plays well for them the Leafs could go forward with him and Campbell next season.
That's my thought as well.

Honestly, I think he lands in Buffalo as their starter. Hutton sucks and it sounds like Ullmark doesn't want to re-sign with them.

I sincerely hope they put a halfway decent team in front of him if that happens. It would pain me to see him struggle on a bad team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #232
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Honestly, I think he lands in Buffalo as their starter. Hutton sucks and it sounds like Ullmark doesn't want to re-sign with them.

I sincerely hope they put a halfway decent team in front of him if that happens. It would pain me to see him struggle on a bad team.
That and he can't come out and say what they clearly are thinking ... "we don't think it likely we're going to make the playoffs"

with the condensed schedule and reworked games, you don't move a capable backup if you think there's a solid chance you're going to make the playoffs.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #233
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Rittich can not be a full time starter
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #234
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Best of luck to Rittich. I'd be surprised to see him get anything more than backup money personally but who knows what could happen if he gets some playoff time.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #235
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I doubt Rittich plays 10 games with the Leafs
There is a good chance he doesn't, but there is a good chance that he wasn't going to play 10 more games anywhere this season. The Leafs probably offer more of a chance than other places.

Campbell has been unreal in relief of Andersen, but has been pretty inconsistent throughout his career. He is 29, only has 75 NHL games, and during his whole career (NHL and minor leagues), he has only been a starting goalie once (in the AHL about 5 years ago). I think there is a reasonable chance he falls back to the norm as the sample size gets bigger. He seems like one of those goalies that is lights out when used conservatively, but isn't a work horse.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #236
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big trade Dave!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #237
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
At Rittich's age, OUR full time starter had a worse resume.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #238
Rocky Mtn Flames
Draft Pick

Just wondering, does Rittich fly to Toronto with the team due to the covid bubble or find a different means of transportation
Rocky Mtn Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:55 AM   #239
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
It remains to be seen. I wouldn't bet against him. He's very driven and focused, and works on improving his game all the time. He's young enough and came over late enough in his career that he could still blossom into an average starter.

But then again, goalies are voodoo.

He could burn out in a year and head back to Europe too.

It's hard to know with goalies.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #240
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
It remains to be seen. I wouldn't bet against him. He's very driven and focused, and works on improving his game all the time. He's young enough and came over late enough in his career that he could still blossom into an average starter.

But then again, goalies are voodoo.

He could burn out in a year and head back to Europe too.

It's hard to know with goalies.
His good stretches (which were pretty decent in length), and his high danger save stats both suggest that he has the tools to be a starter.

I don't know if he physically breaks down through a season, or if the season coming to crunch time plays with his mental ability to play the position, but it sure seems that as time goes on every year he gets worse.

Wonder where he/team would be if he didn't flip that stick. Seemed to alter his trajectory.

Great human, and a solid story in Calgary.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: