Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2021, 08:29 AM   #3701
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Went for a fitting at Modern Golf, and I have to say the Trackman technology is REALLY cool. I was intending on doing a fitting for a complete new bag of Titleist or Callaway clubs, and at the end of the session was encouraged to keep the clubs I have, re-grip them and keep playing them. I was impressed with their honesty, really.

Really neat though, I was wondering why I was pulling the ball so badly, and it turns out I have a negative face angle and negative swing path (both about -2 degrees). This meant a square club face, but swinging outside-in and directly to the left at contact. My driver attack angle was also negative, meaning I am swinging down on the ball not up, which means mis-hits on the top of the face and the occasional pop fly. I was swinging around 105+mph and hitting driver about 200 yards (all carry), so it made sense.

Those 2 things (straight pull on the irons, pop fly driver) add about 10 strokes to my game, so if I can correct them (in theory) I should be breaking 80 this year.

Of course, I look forward to now forgetting how to putt or use my wedges lol.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 12:28 PM   #3702
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Went for a fitting at Modern Golf, and I have to say the Trackman technology is REALLY cool. I was intending on doing a fitting for a complete new bag of Titleist or Callaway clubs, and at the end of the session was encouraged to keep the clubs I have, re-grip them and keep playing them. I was impressed with their honesty, really.

Really neat though, I was wondering why I was pulling the ball so badly, and it turns out I have a negative face angle and negative swing path (both about -2 degrees). This meant a square club face, but swinging outside-in and directly to the left at contact. My driver attack angle was also negative, meaning I am swinging down on the ball not up, which means mis-hits on the top of the face and the occasional pop fly. I was swinging around 105+mph and hitting driver about 200 yards (all carry), so it made sense.

Those 2 things (straight pull on the irons, pop fly driver) add about 10 strokes to my game, so if I can correct them (in theory) I should be breaking 80 this year.

Of course, I look forward to now forgetting how to putt or use my wedges lol.
What was your spin rate and launch angle on the driver? At 105mph...and Calgary elevation you should be closer to 270yrds+ if you can get the spin rate below 3000rpm and your launch angle down to 11degrees. Also the $10 can of foot spray to see where you hit on the clubface should be in the bag. It's a good thing to have that speed, just gotta get it working

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackm...ge-tour-stats/
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 11:04 PM   #3703
trieu8
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I had a driver fitting at Modern Golf as well and I didn't have a good experience with my fitter. He was a nice guy but I didn't feel like I was getting fit for a new club. All he did was let me try all the different drivers in stock shaft unless I specifically asked for something. No discussion at all throughout. He didn't try to dial in ball flight/improve numbers with adjusting loft, lie etc. They also couldn't put the shaft I wanted to try into the head, didn't have a 9 degree head in the 425 max to test. I could've had the same experience going into Golf Town and trying every driver off the rack.
trieu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:22 AM   #3704
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
What was your spin rate and launch angle on the driver? At 105mph...and Calgary elevation you should be closer to 270yrds+ if you can get the spin rate below 3000rpm and your launch angle down to 11degrees. Also the $10 can of foot spray to see where you hit on the clubface should be in the bag. It's a good thing to have that speed, just gotta get it working

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackm...ge-tour-stats/
I don’t recall. It was a lot of info!

You’re 100% right though. When I do connect properly with a full swing (1 in 10 drives or less) I’m 280-300. The rest go straight up in the air, or I slow my swing down so much it’s maybe 225. I’m longer off the tee with a 3 wood and have better control, so that’s what I usually play.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #3705
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

yesterday i bought a new set of cobra king sz. i hit a few different clubs at golftown, and this seemed to deliver the most consistent results.

i will tape a few of them up and go hit on the range for a bit to see if i really like them and they make a difference versus my current set of ping raptures
Old 04-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #3706
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Edit: think i got April Fools’d

Last edited by CofR; 04-01-2021 at 11:14 AM.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:24 AM   #3707
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
yesterday i bought a new set of cobra king sz. i hit a few different clubs at golftown, and this seemed to deliver the most consistent results.

i will tape a few of them up and go hit on the range for a bit to see if i really like them and they make a difference versus my current set of ping raptures
For a fair comparison I would tape both sets of clubs for a side by side test.

The face tape will take off spin and may fool you into thinking they are something they are not.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #3708
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Edit: think i got April Fools’d
That is obviously the first thing that came to my mind but in theory I would think it would actually be a pretty sweet acquisition/merger. It would require a fair bit of course rework though as I would assume they would need to do a north and south course set up to have an out and back layout with the existing clubhouse.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #3709
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Aww, what was the prank merger?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:46 AM   #3710
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Aww, what was the prank merger?
Winston taking over Fox Hollow and creating a 36 hole facility.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #3711
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Woodside in Airdrie is open tomorrow
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:58 PM   #3712
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

Match made in heaven.

But given some of the problems Winston has had, might be more likely for the merger to happen the other way around.

If I were a billionaire looking for money to burn, I'd probably keep the Winston 18 and use the Fox Hollow Land to make 2-3 short courses and short game areas like the Cradle or Punchbowl or Nest or Sandbox, etc (or hell, even Little Devil for a local example). Would be a game changer.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #3713
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Match made in heaven.

But given some of the problems Winston has had, might be more likely for the merger to happen the other way around.

If I were a billionaire looking for money to burn, I'd probably keep the Winston 18 and use the Fox Hollow Land to make 2-3 short courses and short game areas like the Cradle or Punchbowl or Nest or Sandbox, etc (or hell, even Little Devil for a local example). Would be a game changer.
It would be great if either course could get that piece of land north of the golf dome which is Alberta Infrastructure land or something. That would be great for the development of a nine track like you suggested.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:15 PM   #3714
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Speargrass opens April 2nd.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #3715
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Hope Winston has some spare cash lying around to renovate Fox Hollow.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #3716
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

McCall Lake opening April 5, Shaganappi April 8
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:23 PM   #3717
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Lakeview probably like mid May.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #3718
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a cheap way to get on to courses, I totally suck but feel like I will be stuck in Alberta with Covid. I have cheap clubs and mainly just want to get out.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #3719
P-Rugby
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Is there a cheap way to get on to courses, I totally suck but feel like I will be stuck in Alberta with Covid. I have cheap clubs and mainly just want to get out.
Twilight out of the city
Old 04-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #3720
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Booked for Monday at Speargrass.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow