Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #201
Cobra
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hopefully Brad can flip the Rittich draft pick for Fattenberg.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #202
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
If you expected a second for a pending ufa backup who has no playoff record that’s on you for expecting too much
Yeah I was hoping for a couple of 4ths for Rittich and Ryan and call it a day.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #203
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Fair trade for both sides. Glad Tre is moving players instead of holding on, waiting for better deals. A 3rd is fine, pull the trigger. Good job.
And a signal that they see the math.

That was my big concern. With games against Montreal coming up, the mini Habs skid and the Flames win on Saturday I was a little worried they would just stand pat.

Moving a solid backup goalie with an injury prone starter that is struggling is clearly not banking on a low percentage chance to turn the season around.

Phew ...

After today if they make it close? Great! I'm not a tank cheerleader, but at least they didn't make a silly call at the deadline.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #204
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like that it's a 2022 pick as well. Much deeper draft with a better chance to evaluate talent
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #205
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

James Mirtle @mirtle
Keefe says Rittich is available to play tomorrow.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:10 AM   #206
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
And a signal that they see the math.

That was my big concern. With games against Montreal coming up, the mini Habs skid and the Flames win on Saturday I was a little worried they would just stand pat.

Moving a solid backup goalie with an injury prone starter that is struggling is clearly not banking on a low percentage chance to turn the season around.

Phew ...

After today if they make it close? Great! I'm not a tank cheerleader, but at least they didn't make a silly call at the deadline.
The fact that it is a reasonable worry that they may have not sold at the deadline is remarkable.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:22 AM   #207
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
The fact that it is a reasonable worry that they may have not sold at the deadline is remarkable.
There are plenty of fans on this site that point to the head to head games as a reason why things aren't as done as they would be in a normal season.

And we can't know if that was reasonable or not.

Turns out it wasn't.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #208
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad to see Ritter go to a decent team. Hope he gets to play at some point, gets some run support and has success. Great personality and a good human!
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #209
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honest question, how do you price a 3rd round pick in $? Or any level pick for that matter.

Rittich's 2021 salary is $2,750,000. So, in essence, Calgary Flames are paying $1.375 in exchange for a 3rd round pick in 2022 draft. Is this a good deal? Bad deal? Is any deal a GM can get for the remaining "dead money" in a bad season is a good deal?
Old 04-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #210
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Happy for everyone:

Rittich - gets to go to a contender and showcase himself for a new contract
Flames - smart asset management
Leafs - I'll be pulling for them to crush Edmonton if they meet in the playoffs.

Also I think you can be both a seller and still not give up on the season. I will be cheering for them to make a push this week and make the last 10 games meaningful.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:45 AM   #211
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Honest question, how do you price a 3rd round pick in $? Or any level pick for that matter.

Rittich's 2021 salary is $2,750,000. So, in essence, Calgary Flames are paying $1.375 in exchange for a 3rd round pick in 2022 draft. Is this a good deal? Bad deal? Is any deal a GM can get for the remaining "dead money" in a bad season is a good deal?
That's the cap space, but the actual dollars is $368k
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 10:47 AM   #212
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Or you could say the Flames are saving a little cash and getting a pick instead of paying Rittich for a very small number of games, still not making the POs and seeing him walk off season.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #213
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope he goes on a run and then gets a nice contract next season. Really loved cheering for the player and the person. I hope he either gets a big contract with someone else this summer, or signs back here.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:54 AM   #214
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posted in another thread, but I think it's relevant summary to consider here.

Quote:
4M Taylor Hall - 2G 19P, good but not great stats prev 2 years = 2nd+

2.6M Jeff Carter - 8G 19P, 35ish pts prev 2 years = 3rd* +

1.625M Eric Staal - = 3G 10P (32gp), 50+ pts prev 2 yrs = 3rd+

1.375M Foligno - 7G 16P, 35ish pts prev 2 yrs =1st+

Zajac and Palmieri are both in this same ballpark stats wise around 2.5M each combined for a 1st+.

I suppose it shows the impact of AAV, but a couple of guys with Team Canada pedigree seem like ideal adds as proven versatile vets. Glad we managed a similar return for Rittich!
Tremendous value for Rittich IMO. Consider also that last year Lehner 1.4M (double retained) essentially returned M Subban + 2nd (PIT - expected to be late, ended up 46OA).
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:54 AM   #215
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Rittich will be missed. He's a decent goalie and a likeable character. It's always a great story when a player makes it to this level on the unbeaten path. I hope he does well. He's too good to be hardly playing behind Markstrom and deserves a chance to up his value before his contract is up.

A 3rd rounder is fair though considering contract status and a bit of a tough year. Unless the goalie is an undisputed #1, they usually don't get a big return.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:54 AM   #216
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, in reality, an actual amount of remaining/retained money doesn't really matter, because it would have been paid to the player anyway if he was not traded, correct?
Old 04-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #217
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The alternative might have been paying him $2,750,000 and getting nothing in return. In comparison to that, I think it is a good thing.

It's hard to say what the market is in this environment but, as much as we might criticize Treliving for the results, I don't think anyone doubts his work ethic - I'm guessing he worked every opportunity and this ultimately was the best one for the team.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #218
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Looks like Domingue is the backup for now:

Ryan Pike @RyanNPike
Official now per AHL site: #Flames have recalled Artyom Zagidulin from the taxi squad. Louis Domingue has bee moved from taxi to main roster.
Was Artyom Zagidulin not on the AHL roster? I'm not following this tweet here, do they also have a taxi squad in the AHL?
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:04 AM   #219
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

It's a bit sad to see David Rittich go but hopefully he can win there and still be a good goalie which I think he is, pretty consistent above .900 save percentage. Good guy.

The thing is the Flames have Jakob Markstrom for 5 more years after this and Rittich is a UFA so hopefully he'll get a nice contact this summer or maybe even back with the Flames.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:08 AM   #220
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
The thing is the Flames have Jakob Markstrom for 5 more years after this and Rittich is a UFA so hopefully he'll get a nice contact this summer or maybe even back with the Flames.
I wouldn't be upset if he was brought back but unless he's ok with being a backup I just can't see it no matter how much he loves the team.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote