Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Gracepoint

Anyone catch the first two episodes of this series? Originally I just figured it'd be one of those shows that my wife would record and I would somewhat enjoy it, but wow...this show has really impressed me so far.

I don't usually like crime drama type shows, but this is an exception (so far). From the acting to the story line to the cinematography, I've been really impressed. Anna Gunn (Skyler White from Breaking Bad) plays the lead role, similar character to hers in BB.

Definitely recommend.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't seen Gracepoint but most of what I've heard is that the performances aren't as good as Broadchurch (the original British version that Gracepoint is supposedly a shot-for-shot remake of but without the funny accents but with the same lead actor). Broadchurch was very good though.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really enjoyed Broadchurch, and I love David Tennant, and Gracepoint was filmed in Victoria, so this show has special significance for me.

I've only seen the first episode so far, but it looks promising. Although it's actually pretty distracting that it's filmed in Victoria, including the opening scene (and scenes afterward) on the street I grew up on.

I'll definitely be tuning in, though. Critics are saying it's supposed to be pretty good, I think.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
I don't usually like crime drama type shows, but this is an exception (so far). From the acting to the story line to the cinematography, I've been really impressed. Anna Gunn (Skyler White from Breaking Bad) plays the lead role, similar character to hers in BB.
Gracepoint was touched on in the other TV thread. I'm amazed you thought the acting was good. After watching most (I couldn't handle the whole episode), I removed the series recording on the PVR for Gracepoint. I thought the acting was awful. The two lead characters were brutal. I laughed out loud when Anna fake kicked the locker. The detective they brought in to take her job while she was on vacation was equally bad.

And when they tried to make something dramatic like the slow motion running on the beach of the mom, I thought it didn't work at all.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting, I thought the acting has been good, and I've bought into it. My wife hates it but I'm usually the guy that will sit in my recliner and bash the acting in all 'her shows'. Didn't do that with Gracepoint, but I suppose there's still time...
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought the acting was quite good but it's hard because almost everything is exactly the same as in Broadchurch - same script with almost the same inflections and actor movements; Tennant has the same beard, even the actress playing Beth looks the same.

I hear the killer is different so that's why I'm still watching.
I hope that's true - so far most of the clues have been exactly the same but this time they seem to have found Danny's laptop a lot earlier.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

It's decent for a network show. I feel like their trying to force the 'everyone is a suspect' angle to much instead of letting the story develop naturally but we'll see how it goes.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
jaydaybay
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Its nice to see that Dallas Eakins has picked up some work on the side.

Just watched the first few episodes. Little intrigued, definetely feels like network tvs take on The Killing (as far as the tone of the show goes). Even use the drum sometimes at the end of scenes lol
jaydaybay is offline   Reply With Quote