Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #41
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I remember encountering "The Butcher" in some version of Diablo. I recall being spooked about how creepy it was.

Why Diablo’s Butcher remains my favorite childhood villain

https://www.polygon.com/2017/1/4/141...-diablo-3-fear
Wow, totally yes. The Butcher was such a tough boss early in the game. Really set the tone for ass kickery.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #42
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

hello daigo sama
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #43
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

The first No One Lives Forever (awesome game), creeping through an office building with my crossbow, came around a corner in a maintenance room and there's a guy doing some work. I shot him, but he didn't fall down, so I shot him again. Still didn't fall down.

Went up to investigate, my crossbow bolt had pinned him to the ventilation duct.

Just awesome.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #44
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There was a video game, I think it was called Fear with a creepy little girl. It was a first person shooter, but the game had limited ammo sites to reload, so you couldn't do the psycho make the guy dance with bullets.

Until you got the nail gun of course, which was hideously powerful and send the enemy flying into the wall where he would stick.

So of course wanting to be thorough and safety oriented cause falling corpses are dangerous, I'd make sure that sucker was never leaving the wall. Plus shooting a dude in the junk with a nail gun . . . hilarious.

Until you come around the corner and see a uber tough enemy and then you wished you had a few nails . . .you know to put a guy up for the night.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #45
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I didn't play much Star Wars Galaxies, because I wasn't into the whole group thing. But when it first came out there were no jedi, until we found out that you could become a jedi but it was a series of really convoluted tasks and quests that almost felt random and it took a long time to do it.

But eventually I completed it, with a lot of help from my friends. Got my light sabre, and then started using my super powered Jedi powers. But then one day I was on Tattooine and I had another player attack me, so I pulled out my light sabre and he was no match. I decided to celebrate with a nice cold glass of Blue Milk in the nearby town.

I arrived there and suddenly there was an Imperial Shuttle and a ton of Storm Troopers and then freaking Darth Vader. I thought it was a random thing and I fled. But as I traveled to different worlds he kept showing up, and he was brutally over powered.

Suppossedly once you were a jedi, your life was limited to when Vader would catch up to you and kill you. It was a cool part of the game. Later they really watered down the difficulty to become a Jedi, and eventually there were more Jedi and Dark Jedi then other players (Well at least it felt like that).

Old 11-28-2019, 11:47 PM   #46
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple for me:

Rock Band 2: beating Panic Attack on expert drums for the first time, such a huge adrenaline rush, i had to just sit down for a while after. To a lesser extent, getting the endless setlist achievement first try on expert guitar. Came literally a couple frames away from botching it on the final song in a section that I usually ace, due to a cramp.

Destiny: 3 manning Vault of Glass with my buddies, felt great to get a job we had always struggled to get done with 6 people with just 3

Mass Effect 3: Leviathan DLC. Just blew me away.

Kotor: the bit on the leviathan blew 12 year old me’s mind

Halo 2/3: literally too many to list, there’s a clip worth recording to watch again every other game

Lately, beating Celeste felt like a pretty good accomplishment, now onto the b-sides, but even the first one is impossible

Last edited by bigrangy; 11-28-2019 at 11:50 PM.
bigrangy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:24 AM   #47
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some great examples in this thread, including the first reply regarding entering Hyrule Field for the first time in Ocarina of Time. For some reason, a foundational moment in my gaming career.

Over the years since, there have been a lot of amazing experiences. Landing on the ring and exiting the pod for the first time in Halo:CE, multiple moments throughout all installments of the Mass Effect franchise, etc.

Oh, and I’m stoked to see so many Battlefield posts in here. I’m still a very active BF player, and the tale from a few posts up about BFV is why it’s still one of my mainstay brands in gaming. Within any given round, you’ll experience at least two or three of what I call “micro moments” of sheer action-packed, cinematic intensity that no series has ever managed to match.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #48
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think for me, the special moments are some of the ones that defined me becoming a serious gamer.

One early one I can think of is in Donkey Kong Country 2 for SNES. There's a level about half-way through the game where you're climbing up a pirate ship while the water slowly rises below you, and there's a piranha in the water that will kill you, so you have to move fast. As a very young kid I always struggled with any sort of pressure or anxiety in games -- I was scared of boss fights or any sort of level where something was chasing you, so this was a bad one. But none of my family could pass it either -- no one could even get to the half way point. Finally I was sitting there by myself and I just started going... and going and going. And my anxiety about the level faded and I got all the way to the halfway point, and just kept going and beat it. None of my family could believe it. That was the day I realized I was not only good at games -- I was better at them than my mom and dad. I wasn't better at anything than mom and dad.

Second would be E3 2001 -- I had heard Nintendo had announced the new Gamecube system, and the landmark announcement for me was Super Smash Bros. Melee. I tied up for dial-up Internet line for hours downloading the announcement video and was completely blown away. I've been following all the latest game news and announcements online ever since.

Shadow of the Colossus, 2005. A very impressive, artistic, cinematic achievement for the time, it didn't hit me until the fifth Colossus how incredible this game was. The flying Colossus swoops towards you and you jump on to it's wing -- it lifts off into the air and the orchestra music swells while you rise into the sky, barely hanging on with wind and rain whipping past. It blew me away and re-defined what kind of experiences I could have with video games.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:04 PM   #49
Nabber
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm sure I've had a bunch over the years but these two stick out to me:

1. Playing GTA 3, just an amazing gaming experience at the time. Similar to someone else's experience in this thread with slow motion jumps, I was doing a mission however. I think it was the final one as it was super hard. All I remember is I had to get to the airport on a time limit and my wanted level was extremely high.

I'm sure I had failed the mission a few times already and my time was even worse than my previous runs. Police cars were everywhere, I got rammed off the main route entering through the front entrance which the game was showing you to go and I was driving down a hill going extremely fast, I had basically given up as there were like 10 seconds left. It was chaos, I still remember driving my favorite car, the convertible with racing strip. As I'm going down the hill in a madness of police vehicles crashing all over the place heading into a river of water I hit a special jump. My car is so turned around that it actually flips, in slow motion, and I'm thinking to myself wow this is the coolest thing ever expecting to blow up my car and crash on landing with police blowing up and crashing around too and the car actually lands on it's wheels doing one rotation. I regain control, drive through a chain link fence into the airport to complete the mission with seconds to spare. I really wish I had this recorded as it was by far the craziest thing to ever happen to me in all my years of gaming.

2. Playing Madden over 15 years ago nothing really special about it but I always remember it. Not sure which one but I didn't really play Madden so found it really challenging, especially come playoffs. I believe it was in the second playoff game, which is the furthest I ever made playing Madden. I needed a touchdown final play of the game. I have no idea how far out I was, guessing 20 yards. I was the Pirates as I loved Kordell Stewart since he was super fast.

I took the snap and was rushed, ran to the left outside of the pocket. A ton of defensive players were coming at me all super close and just in a panic pushed a bunch of buttons and did a spin breaking from the pack then jumped as someone was diving at me. All by fluke. From there running left and close to out of bounds I hailed a pass into the end zone for the win, always remember that one even though I played way more NHL.

Last edited by Nabber; 11-29-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Nabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #50
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

A full day of planning for 4 x 2 man teams, 265 way points, 50 go codes = Mission success on a Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear mission
Old 11-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #51
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LChoy View Post
A full day of planning for 4 x 2 man teams, 265 way points, 50 go codes = Mission success on a Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear mission
Best in the series still. I really wish they'd go back to that formula
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #52
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

A couple mentions already, but the ride to Mexico in Red Dead Redemption is what jumps into my mind too. An incredible change of pace built by the action and storytelling before it, and the music just nailed moment as well.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #53
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

turning on lightsaber dismemberment in Jedi Outcast for the first time. I don't think hacking away at screaming stormtroopers until they were nothing but a pile of body parts ever got old. actually the force powers allowed a whole lot of sadistic kills, like force choking an enemy and then tossing them so high that they died from the fall, or jumping over a squad of troopers and force pulling them upwards to make it rain bodies.

conversely, Jedi Outcast also had one of the most uncool moments in video game history. you go through training and finally earn your lightsaber...what's waiting for you at your first mission to Nar Shaddaa? jumping puzzles and enemies with unblockable sniper rifles. yaaay.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #54
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

dp
Old 11-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #55
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
turning on lightsaber dismemberment in Jedi Outcast for the first time. I don't think hacking away at screaming stormtroopers until they were nothing but a pile of body parts ever got old. actually the force powers allowed a whole lot of sadistic kills, like force choking an enemy and then tossing them so high that they died from the fall, or jumping over a squad of troopers and force pulling them upwards to make it rain bodies.

conversely, Jedi Outcast also had one of the most uncool moments in video game history. you go through training and finally earn your lightsaber...what's waiting for you at your first mission to Nar Shaddaa? jumping puzzles and enemies with unblockable sniper rifles. yaaay.

Yeah, dismember was cool, there was that one level where you walked across the generator and took sadistic glee in pulling storm troopers into the generator to watch them dissolve.

That Nar Shadda mission, the first part of that was frustration on wheels when you're walking around the outside of the building. I got killed so many times. But the equally cool moment, when you get inside and you can hear the enemies on the level above you. So you step out and one of the enemies tosses a thermal detonator and you use force push to push it back at him and hear the screaming as it explodes.

The first time you get into a real lightsaber fight with a baddy and you can't just slice away at them. It was epic for me, blocking a attack, then pinwheeling over him and slashing him in the back was really satisfying.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #56
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Going back to GTA SA. When you raid the carrier and steal the Harrier jet, and get into a dog fight and return to your base and store it in a hanger, then make your way to the airport and start stealing everything that's not nailed down, Personal Jets, helicopters jumbo jets and the first panic landing of one of those monsters. Then eventually you open your hanger door and you have everything from fighters to tanks to the best sports cars in you collection.

Oh and flying through Vegas below the buildings in a harrier strafing pedestrians and firing missiles at cars while you're wanted rating goes through the roof was epic.

Oh and the first time you fly over Area 51 by mistake and you're chased by about 40 missiles. But its worth it for two words jet pack

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #57
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of San Andreas, it was the first GTA game I couldn't get to 100 percent completion. I had a real tough time with that motorcycle mission at the drydock where you have to jump of the sides to hit the red rings. No matter how many times I could just never get it.

Last year I played through the game again and tried that mission all over again. I just wasn't getting it yet again, and I was on the verge of giving up and decided to give it one more try.

In the middle of the mission I was doing okay, and then my niece came in and started talking to me. I figured I just wasn't going to get it but ran out the clock while I talked to her. So I have no idea how I did it, but I did it!

I doubt I'd be able to do it again and I haven't tried, but man, that mission was a long time in beating.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:02 AM   #58
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I had a ton of problems with that flight school mission where you had to destroy the target.

One of the most fun flying missions was the one where you had to drop supplies to a rebel group and you had to keep you're plane basically below like 200 feet or you'd be detected, so you were basically flying under every bridge, and it was frustrating because it was a really long mission and if you failed you started over again.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #59
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That reminds me, Pilotwings on SNES it was damn near impossible but you could make the hardass fourth instructor cry if you achieved a perfect test score. I think I saw it maybe twice over the course of a year of play.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #60
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
That reminds me, Pilotwings on SNES it was damn near impossible but you could make the hardass fourth instructor cry if you achieved a perfect test score. I think I saw it maybe twice over the course of a year of play.
You can play it again now on switch. It does not hold up.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote