Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default What is your coolest moment in a video game

I was talking about this with a buddy over the weekend.

Back before the internet was really a thing, every Saturday we'd all haul our computers to a buddies a house and set up a network of 10 computers, and bring in a ton of beer and snacks and have college football playing in the background.

We'd usually play these killer all day Duke Nukem 3d tournaments, later it would be other games. But Duke was really popular. We'd put cash in the pot with the winner walking out with a couple of hundred bucks.

I still remember these vicious kills that were just smart strategies.

One of my best, was I found a entrance that lead to a hall way. To get there you had to jump up a bunch of boxes to get into the entrance. So I planted a Duke Hologram in the entrance and then threw down about a hundred of their pipebombs behind the hologram and then I stood at the end of the hall waiting with the remote detonator in my hand. One of my buddies spotted the hologram and he leapt up through the entrance and he saw it was a hologram and that I was at the end of the hall. I giggled and hit the detonater and heard a loud "F you" from the other room.

We did it again with the original Battlefield Vietnam and we got a ton of people into the battle and split them up evenly and then gave each side 10 minutes to strategize, and each side had a general. We were assigned as a specific role. You're a pilot, you'rer a artillery guy you'rer a tank crew. We had this amazing battle with air and artillery support. At one point we loaded up a helicopter with a full crew and put 8 infantry men in it and did this vicious airborne assault on an enemy base after plastering it using F-4 Phantoms. Then we rolled the tanks and fully loaded APC's in to clean up.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

My most memorable moment in a video game? Not sure why the feeling stuck with me so strongly - given how amazing the entire game was, but that moment you leave Kokiri Forest for the first time and enter Hyrule Field. The first dungeon was so fun and innovative, the lore was amazing with the Deku Tree setting up the story, then... you leave the forest and find it was just a tiny sliver of what's coming.

I honestly doubt i'll ever experience a feeling like that in a game, and i'm almost certain it had to do with the age I was when I first played OOT - Christmas holidays in gr 6.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lego Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frost D, FF1. Froze me cold.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me video game epicness really came to life in GTA 4. The combination of graphics, massive open world concept, the music, and the amount of content in that game completely blew me away.

It wasn't during any special cut-scene or mission, but I remember during one game session being chased by the cops, evading them until I hit a jump, the game went into slow-motion mode, and explosions all around. I remember thinking just how far video games had come in that moment. Where I could live out live action movies as my own character. GTA 3 was pretty groundbreaking. But I think that moment in GTA 4 really opened up my mind to what video games could be.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My character in Dragon Age had nude sex with another character, quite unexpectedly.

LOL - I just checked, and all these scenes are posted on YouTube.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I threw a no-hitter against the Twins with CC Sabathia in MLB the show 19. I am one lame mother ####er
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
For me video game epicness really came to life in GTA 4. The combination of graphics, massive open world concept, the music, and the amount of content in that game completely blew me away.

It wasn't during any special cut-scene or mission, but I remember during one game session being chased by the cops, evading them until I hit a jump, the game went into slow-motion mode, and explosions all around. I remember thinking just how far video games had come in that moment. Where I could live out live action movies as my own character. GTA 3 was pretty groundbreaking. But I think that moment in GTA 4 really opened up my mind to what video games could be.

I had that amazing moment in Grand Theft 6. I was being chased by the cops with a 3 star wanted sign. I was going over the major bridge and this cop cuts me off in front and rams me, I accidentally hit the enter key as my car is spinning through the air, and I'm ejected from the car, go over the bridge railing, fall below and land on top of another police car, and they jump out of the car and shoot me.

I had to take a moment because it was an amazing sequence.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #8
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me it was the original Halo. That game didn't support custom soundtracks but it did have the option to turn the music off. My buddy and I routed the audio outputs of the Xbox through my mixer console and hooked it up to some bad ass speakers. Then we mixed a discman into another channel and pounded all kinds of European death metal while running around blasting aliens. It was awesome.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me it wad the first time I ever played Dragon Warrior on the NES and a slime draweth near. After that I have been hooked for years on DQ.

Last edited by dissentowner; 11-25-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: My stupid autocorrect wants me to have bedbugs
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #10
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

as a kid this was awesome
Old 11-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #11
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was never a big video game player so don’t have a cool moment.

I do however have a ‘not cool’ moment, and it was when I finally took the plunge as a kid in the 80’s to play ‘Dragons Lair’ in the arcade after always walking by admiring the awesome graphics.

I put the quarter in, an amusing animation sequence occurred, and 7 seconds later the words ‘Game Over’ flashed across the screen as I stood looking on wondering what the hell just happened.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:46 PM   #12
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

When I was a kid and Super Metroid first came out, the giant bosses terrified and amazed me. After playing Atari and NES games, seeing the scale and the interaction they had was something really new and crazy looking.

More recently, the opening sequence aboard the Normandy in Mass Effect 2 still stands out in my mind, especially because I only took a short break after finishing Mass Effect 1.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The first time I got hunted down and killed by another player in Ultima Online.

I was your typical Neophyte Swordsman, just trying to make my way killing deer and skinning them for hides south of Trinsic, crafting leather armor and selling it to the vendors in town. As every new player did, I carried my lifes work in my pack, including a dye tub, my starter book and some arrow shafts I didn't know what to do with. Along came this knightly looking guy in full plate armor, but his name was red. Why is his name red? Then the words popped up over my head "_____ is attacking you!" and my heart literally skipped a beat.

My pulse was racing as I tried to run away through the jungle, obviously my 45 HP wasn't going to hold up to his Energy Bolts and Heavy Crossbow. Eventually I fell. I stood there in ghost form watching him loot my corpse still trying to figure out what had happened. I remember him saying "Why the hell do you have a dye tub?" before throwing it on the ground and then walking away.

Great times.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #14
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

When Battlefield 2 launched we dragged our PC's over to a friend's place and played all night. In one match we were playing on the side of the MEC and managed to sneak into the USMC spawn and steal their Black Hawk. With that thing we completely destroyed the server.

Bad Company 2 had so many great moments too especially with the level of destruction and, my god, the sound design. Dice knows how mix sound in a way no other developer can. I'll always remember the first match I hopped into and could hear tanks idling outside and the sound of gunfire, explosions and the shearing of metal as the building I was taking cover in was collapsing on me.

Also, massive Galaxy hot-drops in Planetside. If anyone has played that game then they know what I am talking about. Literally hundreds of players para-dropping from transport ships onto an objective. Just pure chaos.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #15
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Shooting down airplanes with the main ship guns in BF1942

CTF in general in BF1942 too.. I think some of the best times I've ever had in multiplayer games were in that game.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #16
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was a monster on NHL online ranked play. I had a 80%+ win rate on the last NHL game I owned, but haven't had a playstation or Xbox in years.

I loved playing as the predators in their horrible mustard jerseys. They were a bottom tier team in stats, but their team composition was great for puck stealing and possession. I'd play them against high ranked players with a stacked team and barely let them touch the puck. Every rage quit and nasty message I received was pure joy.

Last edited by Matata; 11-25-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #17
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

GTA IV was the first game I ever took the time to go through and get 100% completion on. As it happens, a couple of weeks after I hit 100%, I went to NYC for the first time. Even though the map isn't 100% accurate, I was actually able to navigate my way around the real city because I was so familiar with the city in the game.

That kind of blew my mind.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I remember the game X-Wing Vs TieFighter, which had a pretty good multi-player component to it.

Me and a few friends logged in one night to do a melee, and I grabbed a Tie Interceptor which was just lightning fast but had no shields.

I remember nibbling around the edge and a X-Wing came around and we engaged in a really cool dog fight 1 on 1.

It was more then just the usual turning battle, at one point I was on his tail and he pulled a maverick and jammed on the brakes, I kind of saw it coming and swore and jammed my nose down and cut underneath him and guessed what he would do and was right, he turned inside and then quickly turned in on me again, and I clawed for Altitude and then killed my engines and spun around as he was coming up on my tail, and we missed each other head to head. Then we got into this turning battle that on replay was probably cool looking.

Then surprise because we were so focused on killing each other another guy came in and dusted us both and laughed at us.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:13 PM   #19
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

54 kill game solo-manning all 6 gun positions and driver on the HMS Prince Of Wales on Iwo Jima during a TWL ladder match to get my Clan in the Top 5 during peak BF1942.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #20
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: