Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:55 PM   #6401
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
funny how experts on here know when a 21 year old player is past his prime
That's the issue. If feels like he's been around for a long time but he's still only 21. We have been making fun of Chiarelli for selling low so I don't know why so many Flames fans want to sell low on a 21 year old.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #6402
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yep dangle Sam around the league at this point we are in a bit of a window we need to git gud now. Get a decent supporting cast around the first and second line to compete. Do we want to be kind of sort of good struggling for a wild card for the next 5 years or load up. San Jose or Chicago? Load up for a big run for a few years or perennial 6 to 8 place team.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #6403
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
funny how experts on here know when a 21 year old player is past his prime
Is Sam Bennett even going to have a 'prime'?
Old 01-25-2018, 10:57 PM   #6404
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Is Sam Bennett even going to have a 'prime'?
You tell us seeing you feel like you are in the know.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:57 PM   #6405
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's the issue. If feels like he's been around for a long time but he's still only 21. We have been making fun of Chiarelli for selling low so I don't know why so many Flames fans want to sell low on a 21 year old.
Trading him for Hoffman would not be selling low. That’s what started the conversation. It’s also not feasible because Ottawa wouldn’t do that.

I agree you dont trade him for what you can get for him now, which would be horribly disappointing to everyone.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #6406
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Trading him for Hoffman would not be selling low. That’s what started the conversation. It’s also not feasible because Ottawa wouldn’t do that.

I agree you dont trade him for what you can get for him now, which would be horribly disappointing to everyone.
If Ottawa isn't going to do it why are we talking about it? Yes he's been a disappointment so far but it's not like he's alone as this team has no secondary scoring from anyone outside of four forwards.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:00 PM   #6407
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
monahan is a garbage man who will never lead this team anywhere.
You’re probably being sarcastic for, but you aren’t wrong. He’s a finisher. Cannot drive the top line, isn’t offensively creative nor fast enough to. I find it hard for me to consider him an upper echelon center when he is incapable of creating his own offense. He isn’t the type of player that could will this team to a win by creating something out of nothing. Ideally he could be on our second line, or on our top line wing but I just can’t see this team going anywhere relying solely on him in the clutch down the middle. We would need two Gaudreau’s or something.

Last edited by Love; 01-25-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:00 PM   #6408
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
If Ottawa isn't going to do it why are we talking about it?
Because posters said they wouldn’t trade Bennett for Hoffman, which is silly. I even fell for it for a second and said I probably wouldn’t straight across, but then I regained my sanity.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:01 PM   #6409
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bennett hasn't exactly ascended so far.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #6410
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
If Ottawa isn't going to do it why are we talking about it? Yes he's been a disappointment so far but it's not like he's alone as this team has no secondary scoring from anyone outside of four forwards.
Also, youre right on the secondary scoring. You dont think Bennett is a big part of that? And its 5 forwards, with a 6th being injured. Backlund and Frolik are scoring at their same pace as previous seasons. It looked like our 3rd line had it together until Bennett went back in his shell. I do expect him to be the driver on that line and hes failing.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #6411
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think a playoff bound team would still throw a first but another year like this and we’ll be talking Yakupov return.
Why? Where would he play on a playoff bound team? 4th line?

The Flames have an invested interest in the player. They desperately want him to start to take meaningful steps forward, but he is clearly stuck in mud.

I would love to see Sam be an impact player with this team, but I don't see it happening. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #6412
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Why? Where would he play on a playoff bound team? 4th line?

The Flames have an invested interest in the player. They desperately want him to start to take meaningful steps forward, but he is clearly stuck in mud.

I would love to see Sam be an impact player with this team, but I don't see it happening. Hope I'm wrong.
Ya I posted a little after that and changed my thoughts. This summer would line him up with Yakupovs draft year to trade which garnered a third with a condition for a second which he didn’t meet. I’d agree that a second is about as much as they’d be able to hope for at this time, which is something you do not do. Better off keeping him in the off chance he breaks out.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #6413
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, youre right on the secondary scoring. You dont think Bennett is a big part of that? And its 5 forwards, with a 6th being injured. Backlund and Frolik are scoring at their same pace as previous seasons. It looked like our 3rd line had it together until Bennett went back in his shell. I do expect him to be the driver on that line and hes failing.
Jankowski is older than Bennett and it's not like he's been lighting up the lamp. Hathaway hasn't done a thing offensively. All three guys are ice cold right now. Their lack of production wouldn't be nearly as critical if this team had a functioning powerplay.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #6414
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Jankowski is older than Bennett and it's not like he's been lighting up the lamp. Hathaway hasn't done a thing offensively. All three guys are ice cold right now. Their lack of production wouldn't be nearly as critical if this team had a functioning powerplay.
Do you actually expect the same out of Hathaway as Bennett? Jankowski has also been hot and cold, in his first season in the NHL. Not his 3rd, while showing regression each season.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:09 PM   #6415
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
You’re probably being sarcastic for, but you aren’t wrong. He’s a finisher. Cannot drive the top line, isn’t offensively creative nor fast enough to. I find it hard for me to consider him an upper echelon center when he is incapable of create his own offense. He isn’t the type of player that could will this team to a win by creating something out of nothing. Ideally he could be on our second line, or on our top line wing but I just can’t see this team going anywhere relying solely on him down the middle. We would need two Gaudreau’s or something.
Yup, if Monahan's your top center and you want to be a contender then you have problems. He's one of the weakest number one centres of any team currently in a playoff position. Which is why I totally believe the rumours that the Flames have been trying to trade for other center help. People have mistakenly been reading into it as though it's an indictment of Backlund. Nope. The issue is with Monahan.

He's a really good player. He's not, however, a guy that you lean on when the going gets tough.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:15 PM   #6416
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you actually expect the same out of Hathaway as Bennett? Jankowski has also been hot and cold, in his first season in the NHL. Not his 3rd, while showing regression each season.
I expect everyone in the lineup to contribute positively on the ice. No goals from the first line tonight but let's pile on the 21 year old who's been struggling. You're just beating a dead horse here. Besides I see the thread has taken a turn into Monahan bashing so on to the next whipping boy.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:19 PM   #6417
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Yup, if Monahan's your top center and you want to be a contender then you have problems. He's one of the weakest number one centres of any team currently in a playoff position. Which is why I totally believe the rumours that the Flames have been trying to trade for other center help. People have mistakenly been reading into it as though it's an indictment of Backlund. Nope. The issue is with Monahan.

He's a really good player. He's not, however, a guy that you lean on when the going gets tough.
Yea he's only one of the most clutch game winning goal scorers since he came into the league.

This is such a fresh take from you. It's not like you have an ill-adjusted penchant to come here and spam your feelings on this one player over and over at all. Insightful stuff.

I look forward to your next subtle dropping of how you hope we win this cup this year by going all in without mention of the fact you continuously state that's not possible with Monahan and Gio as our top centre / d-man.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 PM   #6418
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I expect everyone in the lineup to contribute positively on the ice. No goals from the first line tonight but let's pile on the 21 year old who's been struggling. You're just beating a dead horse here. Besides I see the thread has taken a turn into Monahan bashing so on to the next whipping boy.
Lol.. the 21 year old who has been struggling for 2 seasons.. this isn't new
Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 PM   #6419
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Well to be fair I’ve never been a Monahan basher because I love the guy and think he is truly criminally underrated.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:23 PM   #6420
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Lol.. the 21 year old who has been struggling for 2 seasons.. this isn't new
So why are we discussing it like it's news?
Closed Thread