Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Jake Boltman 0 0%
Daniil Chechelev 0 0%
Mathias Emilio Pettersen 3 1.03%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Ryan Francis 0 0%
Glenn Gawdin 3 1.03%
Pavel Karnaukhov 1 0.34%
Rory Kerins 0 0%
Johannes Kinnvall 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 1 0.34%
Yan Kuznetsov 0 0%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Connor Mackey 11 3.79%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Illya Nikolayev 0 0%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 0 0%
Jakob Pelletier 71 24.48%
Matthew Phillips 4 1.38%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Jeremie Poirier 0 0%
Colton Poolman 0 0%
Martin Pospisil 0 0%
Rushan Rafikov 0 0%
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Illay Solovyov 0 0%
Filip Sveningsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 1 0.34%
Dustin Wolf 16 5.52%
Alexander Yelesin 0 0%
Artyom Zagidulin 0 0%
Connor Zary 179 61.72%
Dmitri Zavgorodny 0 0%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #41
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Considering Wolf just won the award for best goalie in his league (WHL), nationally (CHL), and is regarded as one of the best goalie prospects in the NHL I think he should be #2 on this list. I understand goalies are still very unpredictable in their development, but based on accomplishments he sits at the top of the pile for junior prospects for me.
Lots to be excited about with Wolf. The challenge with goalies is that they are difficult to compare against skaters. So determining where to slot them in is always a challenge.

I wonder if having a separate list for goalies makes sense.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #42
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Zary and Pelletier are both extremely good prospects and it's not fair to Pelletier at all to say he's stagnated. That's just not true.

For me, I have Zary at two and Pelletier at four, rounding out my top tier of high-end prospects.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #43
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Just look at this past season straight up:

Pelletier: 1.34 PPG
Zary:..... 1.51 PPG

And Zary is a C, and 6 months younger.
Isn’t the Q a much higher scoring league too?
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #44
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without knowing how they will actually work out it would seem a lot more possible that Zary could force his way on the roster Dube-style than Pelletier.

The fan base has had enough with Monahan and Gaudreau being the top forwards AND not projecting much GAF.

Pelltier projects as a playmaking winger.... top end comparison would lean towards Gaudreau... more closely and understandable than a Brad Marchand that doesn't play with any edge.

Zary projects as a Bo Horvat... He fits a historical need on the Flames
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:20 AM   #45
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Considering Wolf just won the award for best goalie in his league (WHL), nationally (CHL), and is regarded as one of the best goalie prospects in the NHL I think he should be #2 on this list. I understand goalies are still very unpredictable in their development, but based on accomplishments he sits at the top of the pile for junior prospects for me.
He's #3 for me
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:20 AM   #46
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Connor Zary
I had Connor Zary ranked 8th in the draft so getting him at 24 was a complete coup. One thing I am surprised to see, generally, is how little value people are putting into draft strength. The 2020 draft, on paper, is one of the two or three strongest of the past two decades. With that in mind, I have Zary projected in a very similar range (7-year points/82 of 58-62) as I had players like Monahan, Lindholm, Dubois, Reinhart, Hischier in their respective drafts. Saying I was pumped about the Flames getting him there, and doing so after trading down twice, is an understatement.

Ceiling: #1 C
Probable: #1b/2a C
Floor: #4 C

Also in consideration
Nobody - I have another tier here.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #47
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Without knowing how they will actually work out it would seem a lot more possible that Zary could force his way on the roster Dube-style than Pelletier.

The fan base has had enough with Monahan and Gaudreau being the top forwards AND not projecting much GAF.

Pelltier projects as a playmaking winger.... top end comparison would lean towards Gaudreau... more closely and understandable than a Brad Marchand that doesn't play with any edge.

I think Pelletier has some jam as well.

The Flames could be a team of badgers in about three years with Tkachuk, Zary, Pelletier, and Andersson.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #48
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Isn’t the Q a much higher scoring league too?
Yeah. Zary is in historically elite company in terms of WHL points per game as a draft eligible player
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #49
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I may have missed it from the draft thread, but how the hell did Zary fall to 24 if he's projected to be such an impact player?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:33 AM   #50
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I may have missed it from the draft thread, but how the hell did Zary fall to 24 if he's projected to be such an impact player?

My understanding is that it was few factors. This draft is very deep, a few teams went off the board, and there are concerns about his foot speed.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #51
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think Pelletier has some jam as well.

The Flames could be a team of badgers in about three years with Tkachuk, Zary, Pelletier, and Andersson.
and Mangiapane, and Dube, and Bennett
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #52
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

Pelletier does absolutely play with an edge. His personality is similar to Mangiapane in juniors - always working and he actually enjoys the rough stuff. Pelletier is very engaged, goes to the hard areas, likes to play a bit rough and dirty, and plays with a tonne of energy. Your summary of him is not accurate at all.

I have Zary here, simply because I think he is the better talent and has few - if any - weaknesses in his game. I project him to be a top 2 centre - most likely a 2nd line centre, but he won't shock me if he becomes a legitimate #1 centre down the road.

Pelletier is a good prospect. I project him as being a middle-six winger. I like the snarl in his game, how he goes to the dirty areas, his skating, his ability to pass or shoot. He has a tonne of tools, though he is smaller than average. That's ok. He is relentless out there. I think he will be an NHL'er, and sooner than I think most people think.

I just see Zary as the better prospect, and I do think that he is going to be turning a lot of heads this upcoming season.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #53
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m going Zary based on the fact that he’s a C. Pelletier is very close. Almost a coin flip for me
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #54
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think collecting puck hungry, ultra competitive badgers with enough speed and skill to actually get the puck is a perfect way to summarize the Flames drafting strategy.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #55
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Nice try, Braithwaite.

Goalies always pumping up goalies.
Ha, I’m definitely no goalie, more undersized winger in the Fleury mold (as far as a 42yr old beer leaguer can be).

I picked my username based on Braithwaite being a fun fan favourite who battled hard in what felt like dark days for the team.

I have no expert insight into goalies, but when a goalie with Wolf’s size accomplishes the accolades he has it’s definitely less ‘big goalie taking up a lot of net’ and more ‘damn that guy is a special athlete’.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #56
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zary is bigger and plays a more important position.

I don’t think Pelletier is anything special, and if he’s the sweetener to get something more impactful done, I think I’d way prefer that to trading a 1st.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #57
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have Zary at 5 myself personally. Higher chance of making the nhl, but not a high ceiling. Derek Ryan likely comp, with Backlund upside if he takes a few strides and kesler if he really hits his full potential.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 10-20-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #58
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I have Zary at 5 myself personally. Higher chance of making the nhl, but not a high ceiling. Derek Ryan likely comp, with Backlund upside if he takes a few strides and kesler if he really hits his full potential.
Why do you think he doesn't have a high upside?
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #59
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Why do you think he doesn't have a high upside?
Watching him play.

What I look for in prospects is doing weird things well. It's not so much the whole knowing how to do basics, because most players can do basics. It's the otherness that separates the filler guys from the potential stars.

When I look at how he generates offense, I don't see the flash. His offensive make up is fine, and I think he'll play in the NHL, just don't see him developing his offensive game to the extent that I think people expect. When evaluating him, the player that he most reminded me of is Backlund, but even at the same age, I was more impressed by Backs offensive creativity. He might become a player that if he's with skilled winger can soak up points like Backs did when with Tkachuk, but I don't see him being the driver on his line. An excellent physical two way guy. Kind of like a shorter version of Joel Otto.

Numbers don't tell the whole story, he was also one of the oldest players in this draft, so his numbers should be better, he practically was playing in a D+1 season compared to some of the other guys.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #60
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I don’t know how you could rank him lower than anyone not named Valimaki, Pelletier or Wolf, even if you aren’t high on him..

He’s clearly, at worst, #2 for most of the hockey world, I could see 4 but 5.. wtf
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post: