Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #21
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would exclude anyone who was drafted 4 years ago or earlier without having been signed.

Rafikov was drafted the same year as Monahan. I'd have a hard time considering him a prospect even if he did decide to come over next season.

Technically, Mattson could use the Schultz loophole and declare himself a UFA because he was drafted 4 years ago.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #22
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me it’s about guys that aren’t playing for the organization now but could have an impact in the future. If Flames own their rights include them even if they’re 35, a la Makarov.

Let voters decide the likelihood of them ever playing as part of their ranking. It so happens that most of these players are young but I wouldn’t use age as a factor.

I’d look at the same way as the old Calder trophy rules. Games in the NHL was the only thing that disqualified you.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #23
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Good healthy debate on the Russians ... I'm on the keep them side as well. No harm in it.

Any players missing? Haven't seen one suggested yet.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #24
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Good healthy debate on the Russians ... I'm on the keep them side as well. No harm in it.

Any players missing? Haven't seen one suggested yet.
Would it be jumping the gun to add Dylan Holloway to the list? Or do we have to wait the 4 years before he's a free agent and signs with the Flames?
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #25
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Please include all the player connected to the team. It's nice to read some information that people post about some players who is not popular in this board.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #26
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Would it be jumping the gun to add Dylan Holloway to the list? Or do we have to wait the 4 years before he's a free agent and signs with the Flames?
3 years, hes already played 1.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #27
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ok, include both the Russians then.

When do we start??

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #28
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like all the euro and college FAs are there and all the draft picks that are still in the system. I can't think of any that are missing.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #29
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny how every year, people argue in favour of including guys who have no chance of ever being signed by the team, then when the poll gets down to the final 4 or 5 players (those same players who will never be signed), the threads just become a bunch of people posting "why are we still doing this?" and "who are these people?".
Old 10-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #30
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember back in the day the Hockey News would annually post each NHL teams complete reserve list which was no more than a one hundred player limit and included their past season stats.

It was fun researching a lot of these players you never knew about. (most everyday fans had no idea their team had nearly 100 guys)
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #31
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
I'm going to remember that Holloway "delayed" reaction (that never was) for a long time.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #32
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

So looks like we're good to go.

I'll include the young Russians, Valimaki, but exclude Foo.

May as well kick it off Monday?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #33
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

how about Friday!

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #34
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 50 Contract Limit:

Regarding the 50 Contract Limit.

Calgary is currently at 38 contracts with only Andrew Mangiapane & Oliver Kylington left to sign.

Ilya Nikolayev 19 years old, Ilya Solovyov 20 years old, and Daniil Chechelev who's nearly 20 hopefully see a contract soon.

And Jakob Pelletier's contract slides as will Connor Zary's contract if signed.

That'll still leave room (up to 7 more contracts) for a few more depth signings to join the Stockton Heat. (Flames usually hover close to the 50 limit)

I always look forward to this time of year when we sign some undrafted/college guys such as,

Glenn Gawdin
Justin Kirkland
Luke Philp
Johannes Kinnvall
Carl-Johan Lerby
Alexander Yelesin
Colton Poolman
Connor Mackey
Artyom Zagidulin

Last edited by David Struch; 10-15-2020 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Tyler Parsons Signed
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #35
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looking forward to Monday! I’m definitely less knowledgeable about our prospects than some, but I love reading the discussions especially on where the newly drafted fit in the grand scheme, and also progression of some of the less heralded prospects. I’m thinking of seeing posters increasing excitement over someone like Eat Bread.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #36
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure if it is possible, but I would love to see these types of polls done with ranked voting system, at least for the top 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, and see how the results compare to the "survivor" style, which I think produces peculiar results due to the extreme vote splitting that happens. Does that kind of polling software even exist?
Old 10-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #37
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is vote splitting affecting the results? Unless a 3rd person is somehow sneaking through, I don't see how close races are causing unusual results
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #38
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't think Chechelev will get a contract just yet. I have a feeling that they'll want him to keep up his stellar MHL play for this whole season.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #39
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
How is vote splitting affecting the results? Unless a 3rd person is somehow sneaking through, I don't see how close races are causing unusual results
For example, when you have a prospect "winning" when they have less than 30% of the vote or less, when more than 70% thought a different player should be in that spot. It would be interesting to results where a consensus view of who is better than whom, rather than who can win a poll. I think the last time this was done, more than half of the poll winners had less than 50% of the vote, unless there was a 2-horse runoff vote.

The discussion after the polls are complete often revolves around how some of the prospects get ranked higher than most people actually agree with because certain prospects have a minority of hardcore backers, even if the majority does not agree.

I mean, who cares really. I know it is just for fun, but I think an alternate way of polling might get different or more accurate results.

Another way to do it is just have more runoffs with the top results, but if we had 30+ rounds with runoffs, that would take a lot of time. If there was time, it could make for an interesting experiment at some point and then compare the results.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-17-2020 at 04:21 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #40
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't see how those examples are altering the list. Maybe it is more the case that they are producing results you disagree with?

Also, there is no correct answer, it is simply a popularity contest. So does it really matter?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote