Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best guess for Tkachuk's contract result
8 @ 7M 10 1.61%
8 @ 8M 41 6.59%
8 @ 9M 21 3.38%
8 @ 10M 8 1.29%
7 @ 7M 21 3.38%
7 @ 8M 61 9.81%
7 @ 9M 19 3.05%
7 @ 10M 3 0.48%
6 @ 6M 4 0.64%
6 @ 7M 48 7.72%
6 @ 8M 126 20.26%
6 @ 9M 27 4.34%
5 @ 6M 3 0.48%
5 @ 7M 56 9.00%
5 @ 8M 66 10.61%
5 @ 9M 10 1.61%
4 @ 5M 1 0.16%
4 @ 6M 4 0.64%
4 @ 7M 19 3.05%
3 @ 4M 2 0.32%
3 @ 5M 4 0.64%
3 @ 6M 46 7.40%
2 @ 4M 3 0.48%
2 @ 5M 15 2.41%
1 @ 4M 1 0.16%
1 @ 5M 3 0.48%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #1981
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well that hardly answers my question. I think it’s unlikely that anyone offer sheets Tkachuk but Colorado is the team that I think he would be ok playing for and they have some semblance of cap room.

Could they clear enough room to sign Rantanen and Tkachuk to nearly identical long term deals?
They would need to reacquire their 2nd and 3rd round picks, or else the offer sheet caphit would need to exceed $10,568,590 and be 4 1sts instead.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #1982
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
How much space does Calgary have to sign him?
Do you like to swim?
Old 09-24-2019, 05:39 PM   #1983
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well that hardly answers my question. I think it’s unlikely that anyone offer sheets Tkachuk but Colorado is the team that I think he would be ok playing for and they have some semblance of cap room.

Could they clear enough room to sign Rantanen and Tkachuk to nearly identical long term deals?

As for Sakic being “old school” and not behaving like Dubas, that’s not really on point. Dubas hasn’t signed any offer sheets and frankly isn’t relevant to this discussion. I don’t know Sakic well enough to say whether he’d do it. Other than in general, I think offer sheets are a long shot.

It’s perfectly well on point. He is not going outside of market values in his position in Rantanen which is opposite from Dubas.

We do agree that an offer sheet is a long shot.

I personally think it is absurd to see it coming from Colorado and will be pleased to admit I was wrong if it happens
Old 09-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #1984
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I can't envision a trade the Flames would necessarily win.

I just don't think people are effectively weighing the contributions from this guy in both tangible offense and every other intangible quality you want from a guy who drags his teammates into games they aren't otherwise emotionally invested in.

If he played 20 minutes a night with top line linemates he'd be a 100 point player. His goal scoring qualities are legit, and it's the hardest thing to do in the league.
I think that is extremely presumptuous. There were six 100-point players in the NHL last year, and Calgary's own top offensive player fell just short with 99 points. I expect Tkachuk does better with more minutes and consistent top-line deployment, but the difference between 85 points and 100 is vast. He already plays on the top powerplay, so he won't get a boost in production there. Even if he somehow managed to equal Gaudreau's 72 ESPts (which I think is extremely doubtful), that would only get him to 96.

Tkachuk is a terrific player, but you have a regular tendency of significantly over-rating him. I expect that if you swapped him with Rantanen the result would be about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 09-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #1985
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Columbus would probably have to offer him more than Ottawa. With all the pieces they have lost, Columbus is clearly a team on a downward trend. At least Tkachuk's brother is in Ottawa.
Unfortunately, so is Eugene Melnyk.

Quote:
Old 09-24-2019, 06:01 PM   #1986
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

St Louis and Columbus aren’t too far apart, and Columbus having made the playoffs and lost a key piece, may be looking for someone notable to replace Panarin

The brother connection in Ottawa is the nicest story, and of the other teams, Columbus is the only other obvious reasonable candidate
Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #1987
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
St Louis and Columbus aren’t too far apart, and Columbus having made the playoffs and lost a key piece, may be looking for someone notable to replace Panarin

The brother connection in Ottawa is the nicest story, and of the other teams, Columbus is the only other obvious reasonable candidate
The only way CBJ could offer sheet Tkachuk is to give him a max offer +$10.6 m. They don't have the picks to do anything less than that. As good a player as Tkachuk is, I don't see any team willing to pay him like that.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 06:11 PM   #1988
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The only way CBJ could offer sheet Tkachuk is to give him a max offer +$10.6 m. They don't have the picks to do anything less than that. As good a player as Tkachuk is, I don't see any team willing to pay him like that.
Thanks, hadn’t looked in to their details that closely.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #1989
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Remember that the compensation for any 6 or 7 year offer sheet is based on the total value of the contract divided by 5 years. That means on a 7 year deal, any cap hit over $7.55 million would reach the maximum compensation level. On a 6 year deal, it would be anything over $8.81 million.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #1990
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Remember that the compensation for any 6 or 7 year offer sheet is based on the total value of the contract divided by 5 years. That means on a 7 year deal, any cap hit over $7.55 million would reach the maximum compensation level. On a 6 year deal, it would be anything over $8.81 million.
Right, but then the team must also convince the player that he wants to play in CBJ for +5 years. Sure, it's possible, but I really don't see it as likely that Tkachuk signs to play there unless they make an offer that is far in excess of what the Flames are negotiating. I suspect any offer would have to be +10 m on a five-year term.

Quote:
Old 09-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #1991
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think that is extremely presumptuous. There were six 100-point players in the NHL last year, and Calgary's own top offensive player fell just short with 99 points. I expect Tkachuk does better with more minutes and consistent top-line deployment, but the difference between 85 points and 100 is vast. He already plays on the top powerplay, so he won't get a boost in production there. Even if he somehow managed to equal Gaudreau's 72 ESPts (which I think is extremely doubtful), that would only get him to 96.

Tkachuk is a terrific player, but you have a regular tendency of significantly over-rating him. I expect that if you swapped him with Rantanen the result would be about the same.
oh.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #1992
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Probably the best case scenario is sending Czarnik and Kylington down and going with a short roster. This leaves 8.147M for Tkachuk, which would bring the roster to 22. After the season starts, you can bring someone up on minimum salary to sit the pine on Valimaki's LTIR and fill out the roster.
this is what I don't like personally I wouldn't be comfortable know I'm sending down 2 team mates who belong up because I want their money . we're talking millions that chucky will get so what's a couple less for the team success and team mates
Old 09-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #1993
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I think they match 8.4. They may match then trade him, but they match.

Can’t trade for a year after matching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #1994
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Can’t trade for a year after matching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If its 4 years I would hope the Flames play him for at least 2 of those 4 years.

I find it weird that he can't be traded though. That sounds like punishing a team for protecting one of their assets.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #1995
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default The Matthew Tkachuk contract negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If its 4 years I would hope the Flames play him for at least 2 of those 4 years.

I find it weird that he can't be traded though. That sounds like punishing a team for protecting one of their assets.
That’s one way of putting it, but another is to see that it protects players from teams attempting to circumvent offersheets.

In any event, I don’t think the Flames would have any interest in trading Tkachuk after he is under contract. If they matched a potential offer sheet, they wouldn’t trade him even if they could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Old 09-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #1996
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s one way of putting it, but another is to see that it protects players from teams attempting to circumvent offersheets.

In any event, I don’t think the Flames would have any interest in trading Tkachuk after he is under contract. If they matched a potential offer sheet, they wouldn’t trade him even if they could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmmm ya that's good reasoning.
I just hope we can put this all to bed and just get him signed. Guy is one of my favorite players and I want him here longterm.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:21 PM   #1997
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Take it for what it is worth...

Talk to source within the Flames, his comment was

"Tre is confident in signing Tkachuk and having him in the lineup for opening night....the deal will be structured along the lines of the Braydon Point deal..."
Old 09-25-2019, 02:41 AM   #1998
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So like, 6.75 AAV?

Who would've guessed.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:34 AM   #1999
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Close this terrible thread forever!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 06:43 AM   #2000
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

So happy to say goodbye to this discussion!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread