Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2020, 11:52 PM   #81
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sign Miller or other remaining UFA veteran Goalie like Howard to the same 700k deal Zag has.

Play Petrovic in Kylington’s spot and make Kylington the 7th D; Mackey has been said to be good enough to be in most of the NHL clubs starting rosters and I’d say the same for Valimaki; there’s enough experience there to carry the young talent and worse comes to worse you can find another 700K vet in the UFA pool no problem.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 12:18 AM   #82
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Nice query, how much thought did you put in to its results?

There are 8 active contracts with retained salary.

There were 13 retentions from Feb 2020, of which only one is an active contract. David Backes. Not stuff carried in to future years

2 Chicago just recently retained on. How much dead salary do you think they want to eat?

Like I say, I will issue a now half hearted apology when it happens

More importantly, since when the hell is eating celery rare?
As much thought as you put into saying retaining salary was rare. Retaining 50% over multiple years you might be able to say is rare.

Who is taking Toews at 10.5M? If they want to get any return for that asset they have to retain. We don’t know what their plan is. Do they think they can keep Toews and Kane through to the other side of the rebuild? Will they have a successful rebuild without a return or even maximizing a return on those assets? Maybe. They do have the benefit of being a place that UFAs will sign. If they do explore trades do you not think they’re going to analyze what they can get for a retain vs not?

How much dead salary do they want to eat? No idea, I’m not their owner.

Who eats celery?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:35 AM   #83
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ okay, whatever. You understood the context of my statement and your data pretty much proved my statement

All grocery stores move lots of celery, wonder why?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:07 AM   #84
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Caesars.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:00 AM   #85
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Teams eating salary is, well, rare

People are saying 50% retained. Imagine a team eating $5 M on Kane and facing him in the playoffs. Yeah

Look. If it happens I will issue a sincere apology

If Chicago trades Kane, Toews and Keith, I don’t think they are worried about playing anyone in the playoffs.

They likely aren’t a playoff team with them.

I get that retaining 50% is rare, but it’s a good way of buying prospects and speeding up their rebuild.

It’s a unique situation. A very rich team with some declining assets that are sought after playoff warriors. If they don’t retain cap, the return would be very low with few or no teams having the cap space. Or they would be forced to take back useless contracts. Whether you retain 50% of Kane’s contract or have to take back Lucic in the deal is pretty much the same thing to Chicago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:14 AM   #86
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
As much thought as you put into saying retaining salary was rare. Retaining 50% over multiple years you might be able to say is rare.

Who is taking Toews at 10.5M? If they want to get any return for that asset they have to retain. We don’t know what their plan is. Do they think they can keep Toews and Kane through to the other side of the rebuild? Will they have a successful rebuild without a return or even maximizing a return on those assets? Maybe. They do have the benefit of being a place that UFAs will sign. If they do explore trades do you not think they’re going to analyze what they can get for a retain vs not?

How much dead salary do they want to eat? No idea, I’m not their owner.

Who eats celery?

Bowman has an interview up on the Athletic and he says the plan is to rebuild with his core remaining on the team. I think he is going to force the players to ask to be traded if they want out. Tanking the goaltending assures they will definitely be a bottom feeder. Kane and Toews need to decide if they can wait it out and also have to consider the fact the Hawks may not be looking to re-sign either of them in 3 years depending where the org is at.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #87
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the going rate for Salary retention has been about 3 million real dollars total for a first round pick.

So Kane has 2,7,7 left to be paid. So adding a first as Salary retention in addition to the package would get you 13/16 I don’t know how that translates to Cap Hit with the Bonuses and over payments early but if it’s just prorated that would leave him with about 8.75 million cap hit.

Really depends on the owner but getting teams to pay real dollars to other teams players has been quite expensive in terms of draft picks lately.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #88
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
oh I'm sure their fans will love to hear that.
TBH I think most hardcore fans appreciate hearing management come out and say it. I know for the longest time Flames' management refused to use that word until one day I think Feaster finally came out and said it. Calling it what it is and publicly stating you're not going to continue to spin your wheels for nothing, I think most fans can appreciate that.

I hope by some miracle the Flames can find a spot for Kane. That would be the best trade ever.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #89
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
TBH I think most hardcore fans appreciate hearing management come out and say it. I know for the longest time Flames' management refused to use that word until one day I think Feaster finally came out and said it. Calling it what it is and publicly stating you're not going to continue to spin your wheels for nothing, I think most fans can appreciate that.

I hope by some miracle the Flames can find a spot for Kane. That would be the best trade ever.
I agree with this. When the Flames finally admitted they were going to rebuild it was 3 years later then when most said they needed to do it. I remember watching the 13/14 Flames with Monahan and Baertschi and enjoying it much more than the previous few years because it was all about the young players getting better.

I think Kane would be an unreal fit here but I don’t see him waiving for Calgary or really anywhere in Canada. I think it is more likely Toews would waive to come to Canada but even then I am not sure.

Knowing Treliving he will be poking around to see what the cost is to acquire.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #90
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

TOR could use another JT at C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #91
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn’t there a max of 3 for retained salary on a team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #92
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always thought it was up to 50% of any contract but wasn’t aware there was a cap on that e.g. 3 million. Kane at 7.5 mill for the next 3 years fits this core’s ‘window’ IMO. If Jonathan Toews was cheaper I could live with the assets it would cost but only Kane is who I would want the team to be willing to move significant futures for.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #93
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I kind of like the Hawks being honest about it. The whole point is to win the Cup. If you're not competitive enough you have to do something about it, it's better than being mediocre and hoping for the best and not getting anywhere. Good for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yeah, but it is a MUCH easier proposition after three championships than without.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
And it's not like they are a bubble team, they were 20th in the league in 18/19 and 23rd in 19/20. They are a non-playoff team, heading in the wrong direction.

So announcing a rebuild is good, and honest. But they are already entering it anyway, whether they admit it or not. And as Textcritic said, it is a lot easier to make that statement when you've just had a multi-cup run.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #94
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I always thought it was up to 50% of any contract but wasn’t aware there was a cap on that e.g. 3 million. Kane at 7.5 mill for the next 3 years fits this core’s ‘window’ IMO. If Jonathan Toews was cheaper I could live with the assets it would cost but only Kane is who I would want the team to be willing to move significant futures for.

I believe he was referring to a team can only retain on 3 contracts at a time.

The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #95
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ okay, whatever. You understood the context of my statement and your data pretty much proved my statement

No it didn't. 74 retained transactions in the last 5 years doesn't constitute rare.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #96
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
No it didn't. 74 retained transactions in the last 5 years doesn't constitute rare.

The context is clear . People were suggesting the Blackhawks eat a large chunk of contracts extending multiple years in the future

That is different than the 13 deadline deals from Feb 2020 of which only David Backes is “active”.

If you are hung up on the fact that I didn’t spell out every last bit of detail for you, you go ahead and keep getting hung up on that in obtuse fashion
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #97
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The context is clear . People were suggesting the Blackhawks eat a large chunk of contracts extending multiple years in the future

That is different than the 13 deadline deals from Feb 2020 of which only David Backes is “active”.

If you are hung up on the fact that I didn’t spell out every last bit of detail for you, you go ahead and keep getting hung up on that in obtuse fashion
We're not at the deadline. We're in the off season, when long term deals are moved less rarely. Deadline deals often involve expiring contracts.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #98
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the good question would be how often salary is retained 3+ years.

Kessel (I think 1.2x a bunch)
Lucic
Tatar (3x$500k)
Phaneuf (seems like a bunch, hard to parse exactly with the buyout and to lazy to find and article with details

Any others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I believe he was referring to a team can only retain on 3 contracts at a time.

Correct
Old 10-21-2020, 08:59 PM   #99
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I guess the good question would be how often salary is retained 3+ years.

Kessel (I think 1.2x a bunch)
Lucic
Tatar (3x$500k)
Phaneuf (seems like a bunch, hard to parse exactly with the buyout and to lazy to find and article with details

Any others?

Correct
luongo before retirement?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #100
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I always assumed a 2nd round pick is worth about 2m in salary. Now if Chicago is retaining 5m per year I'd have to assume that ups the price by 3 1st round picks (or equivalent. That's an absurd price to pay for Toews even assuming no other costs (only way would be to move out lucic). Would consider Kane if he would waive to come here but dont have my hopes up
Kipper_3434 is online now   Reply With Quote