Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #101
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gio’s consummate leadership, work ethic , IQ and skill set have separated him from all but a very few NHL defensemen over the past few seasons.

Up to this point in the season , he has risen to the very top and deserves every single accolade that is being thrown his way. Well done and continue on Captain.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #102
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah that article was pure garbage. Classic example of someone who refuses to back down on his narrative.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #103
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I think Gio should be the front runner for the Norris there is no chance he wins with the season Reilly is having in the hockey media capital.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #104
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Dellow has lost a lot of credibility lately. #Nothing to see here
He never had any to begin with.

Ty Conklin is a better goalie than Martin Brodeur.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #105
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Great Haynes article today about Gio's amazing season:
https://theathletic.com/735884/2018/...tter-with-age/

Some quotes from Conroy that confirm a few things about Hamilton's time here:

Quote:
“We put Hamilton with Gio to help Hamilton,” Conroy said.

“Gio plays so hard, we thought it would pull (Hamilton) into the battles and make him play against top players and in hard situations and Gio, hopefully, could get his game to go to another level. That was the hope and I think it did and you know what, Gio loved playing with him,” Conroy said.

“Dougie skates so well, he’s got a great shot, but sometimes the compete level, Gio would help him bring his compete level up."
And by Treliving about Brodie (and with a subtle jab at Dougie):
Quote:
"Why I like this pair, too, apart from they play well with each other, is he saves some wear and tear on Gio. TJ, with his skating ability, goes back and gets a lot of pucks. That wasn’t the case the last couple years,” Treliving said.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #106
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Through 12 November Mark Giordano was fifth among defensemen in scoring with 2 goals and 16 points in 18 games. He was behind Morgan Reilly (7-21 in 17), Thomas Chabot (5-22 in 18), Brent Burns (3-20 in 18), and John Carlson (5-18 in 15).

Since then, Giordano has 4 goals and 19 points in 14 games. He is currently the highest-scoring defensemen in the NHL.
The annoying thing for me is, he likely needs to win the defenseman scoring title to win the Norris. He's a much better overall defenseman than Reilly.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #107
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The annoying thing for me is, he likely needs to win the defenseman scoring title to win the Norris. He's a much better overall defenseman than Reilly.
I don't think Reilly is his biggest competitor despite any Toronto hype.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #108
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think Reilly is his biggest competitor despite any Toronto hype.
The gap in their defensive game is too profound for anyone to justify them being equals, let alone consider Reilly to be superior. Plus Gio has had a long tenure as an elite defense man, and I think seniority has been a bigger factor for awards than eastern bias.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:44 AM   #109
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
The gap in their defensive game is too profound for anyone to justify them being equals, let alone consider Reilly to be superior. Plus Gio has had a long tenure as an elite defense man, and I think seniority has been a bigger factor for awards than eastern bias.
I think Boourns is the bigger threat. The voters often like to go with previous winners or top three guys. Carlson finished 5th so he's also got that "in the discussion" aura.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #110
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dellow is a pleb, struggler.

I asked him his analysis of Brodie with, and without Gio. I doubt he replies.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #111
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
As much as I think Gio should be the front runner for the Norris there is no chance he wins with the season Reilly is having in the hockey media capital.

Dont say "No Chance". Remember, even though Toronto area might have the most voters they are also a team that is not well liked with a lot of the media outside of Southern Ontario as well and although that is never supposed to go into the thinking of voters, we know it does as its only human and was proven with Iginla.

Doug Gilmour could have (should have) won the Hart trophy in 92/93 & 93/94 but didn't. There were people saying he had "no chance" of not winning the Hart in 1993 I remember.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:41 PM   #112
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh good. Dellow wrote a follow up today, that his beloved Hamilton is generating more shots for his forwards than Giordano is.

Oh, but the Hurricanes with Hamilton, are scoring at a vastly lower rate than Giordano with the Flames? Ha. When employed by them, was Dellow influencing the Oilers, lots of pucks on net (perimeter/low%) metric?

Sounds like more of his narrative.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #113
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Oh good. Dellow wrote a follow up today, that his beloved Hamilton is generating more shots for his forwards than Giordano is.

Oh, but the Hurricanes with Hamilton, are scoring at a vastly lower rate than Giordano with the Flames? Ha. When employed by them, was Dellow influencing the Oilers, lots of pucks on net (perimeter/low%) metric?

Sounds like more of his narrative.
He's embarrassing himself at this point.

This whole thing started because of an article Haynes wrote throwing shade at Dougie. Dellow or his take was never mentioned in that article at any point. He is just getting pissed off at Calgary fans and that his glorious take on Dougie is endangered by "Colleague Haynes".

Quote:
As someone who liked the Hamilton trade for Carolina and thought Giordano looked a bit rough early in the season, I’ve been hearing it a bit from the Calgary fanboys of late. In light of that, and Colleague Haynes’ strong take, I thought it worth poking into what’s going on.
It's only a "strong" take because you took umbrage to it, Tyler.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #114
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think Boourns is the bigger threat. The voters often like to go with previous winners or top three guys. Carlson finished 5th so he's also got that "in the discussion" aura.

Giordano has been in the discussion before, in 2015 he finished 6th (despite missing 21 games).
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:56 PM   #115
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
He's embarrassing himself at this point.

This whole thing started because of an article Haynes wrote throwing shade at Dougie. Dellow or his take was never mentioned in that article at any point. He is just getting pissed off at Calgary fans and that his glorious take on Dougie is endangered by "Colleague Haynes".

It's only a "strong" take because you took umbrage to it, Tyler.
Guy sounds like an idiot.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #116
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is Dellow that Mudcrutch79 guy who used to post here back in the day?
Old 12-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #117
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

There is a hilarious parallel between how this Dellow guy is clinging to his narrative about Hamilton vs Gio, and how he helped the Oilers and Eakins.

https://www.coppernblue.com/2015/2/1...ith-tsn-hockey

Maybe this showed up in the E=NG thread. And it doesn’t really belong here, except for people talking about Dellow.

Some takeaways from this

- Eakins actually admits coaching for Corsi

Quote:
Analytics to me are no more than stats. If you’re for goals and assists and points, then why wouldn’t you be looking at these other stats too. I was a big fan of Tyler’s and I pushed hard for the hire. I like going in-depth and checking everything off. If you’re going to stand back and say "It takes 95 points to make the playoffs," can’t you say that "Hey if you get a Corsi of 50 per cent, 70 per cent of those teams make the playoffs? Or if you get a team Corsi of 52.5 per cent, hey, 90 per cent of those teams makes the playoffs. The problem with just looking at going "Hey get 95 points and you’re in, it’s hard to go back and measure "What do you need?" When you get into the team Corsi, and this is where things worked really well with Tyler, is you’re actually able to go in and check off every part of your system work. Compare it to other teams that are tops in certain categories, see what they’re doing, see if you need to adjust it. Where is your personnel at? What are the challenges? It just adds another layer of putting together a system and a team."
... And still didn’t even get it when it didn’t work

Quote:
I think last year we were at like 44% Corsi, which is just terrible as a team. And we were able to push that to right around 51 by the time I was fired. And that number of 51, over the long term, will eventually pay some dividends
- also, Dellow is apparently not universally well like

Quote:
"Bringing in Tyler was an interesting process on a number of fronts. … And you know it was interesting, because we announced the hiring, immediately we had an email from a journalist to our PR department asking the question, "Is anyone from the organization going to talk about the hiring of this prick?" Right away I was caught off guard, going, I thought, ‘Woah.’ Like, what’s going on here? There was a bit of a dislike for Tyler.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #118
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Dellow posted another article on the Athletic yesterday. It seems to be in response to Haynes' article. Dellow is as bad as Staples when it comes to being an Oilers fanboy.

Read the comments at the bottom. Dellow gets roasted.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #119
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

After his assist last night. Gio officially has moved into the top 100 all time for points as an NHL defencemen. With 418 points in 797 games. Only nine players have more points with fewer games played than him.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #120
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
After his assist last night. Gio officially has moved into the top 100 all time for points as an NHL defencemen. With 418 points in 797 games. Only nine players have more points with fewer games played than him.
It's too bad Gio was a later bloomer or we would be talking Hall of Fame possibilities.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote