Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #221
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got that too. I wonder if they only gonna draft first 2 or 3 picks that evening though (if at all). Going through all 31 picks in one night starting at 8:30 EDT seems a little odd.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #222
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I got that too. I wonder if they only gonna draft first 2 or 3 picks that evening though (if at all). Going through all 31 picks in one night starting at 8:30 EDT seems a little odd.
They'll get through it all and be done by 7 or 8pm. The draft is a well oiled machine. They have a timer to get up and go announce their pick. They announce their pick and the player gets to the stage and then Sportsnet has a quick 45 second or so interview with the player, and maybe another quick one with somebody from the team, and then the clock is running again and we wait to see the next team's pick. It goes relatively quick, 5 minute per pick maybe? Sometimes it goes 7 or 8 minutes if "We have a trade to announce".
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #223
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
It almost feels like draft day is bigger than trade deadline day. I'm taking the day off.
It's way bigger. Better trades and of course you have the first round of the draft.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #224
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Knight makes it to 26, I'm OK with us taking him. I'd like to see one of Knight, Sogaard, or Wolf taken, in that order of preference (Sogaard and Wolf with later picks, not 26). I also wouldn't mind a late round pick being used on a big forward, like Patrik Prymula or Elmer Soderblom.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #225
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am sure we will get more information about the draft once the Stanley Cup Playoffs are over. That is when they start to invest a lot more advertising into the draft.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #226
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2019 NHL Draft Thread

This draft is all over the place, I’m sure there will be many risers and fallers, a lot of smaller players that are ranked high that may drop it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #227
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
This draft is all over the place, I’m sure there will be many risers and fallers, a lot of smaller players that are ranked high that may drop it seems.

Yeah it looks like one of those drafts where you may be flipping pages back and forth on your draft guides from pick to pick during the first round.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #228
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2019 NHL Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah it looks like one of those drafts where you may be flipping pages back and forth on your draft guides from pick to pick during the first round.

Ya, there seems like there’s many guys who have high potential and nice scouting reports but there doesn’t seem to be much that separates at least most of the forwards. I bet most teams draft orders are extremely different which probably isn’t odd but it just feels like this year is very all over the place. I wouldn’t be shocked to see several guys who are ranked out of the consensus top 30 be selected in the first round, especially after the pick 15 or so. I would bet there will be several fallers who will be available when the flames pick and as always they should go BPA even if it’s a Dman.

Last edited by Beninho; 06-04-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #229
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I really like Lavoie, but I think he'll be gone by our pick
I like him a lot too, i know for a fact though that Vegas is doing a lot of homework on him and wouldn't be surprised if they took him at 17.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #230
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
They'll get through it all and be done by 7 or 8pm. The draft is a well oiled machine. They have a timer to get up and go announce their pick. They announce their pick and the player gets to the stage and then Sportsnet has a quick 45 second or so interview with the player, and maybe another quick one with somebody from the team, and then the clock is running again and we wait to see the next team's pick. It goes relatively quick, 5 minute per pick maybe? Sometimes it goes 7 or 8 minutes if "We have a trade to announce".

From what I remember from 2017, it took roughly three and a half hours to do the first round (and there were some trades). The second day just blows by.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #231
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If Tomasino, Lavoie and Hoglander are gone by our pick, next on my list is John Beecher.

The kid is big (6'3" 210lbs), he's a great skater, he goes hard to the net, he plays physical and is good in his own end.

The question is how much offense is there. He didn't put up great numbers with USNTD, but he was stuck behind Hughes, Zegras and Turcotte for center depth, so he really never played past the 3rd line or really got any PP time. So is there offense there and he didn't get a chance to show it, or is there limited offensive upside.

I think he worth the gamble just because I think he will play based on his size and skating ability alone, but if he turns out he could be a really good top 6 center.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:07 AM   #232
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
If Tomasino, Lavoie and Hoglander are gone by our pick, next on my list is John Beecher.

The kid is big (6'3" 210lbs), he's a great skater, he goes hard to the net, he plays physical and is good in his own end.

The question is how much offense is there. He didn't put up great numbers with USNTD, but he was stuck behind Hughes, Zegras and Turcotte for center depth, so he really never played past the 3rd line or really got any PP time. So is there offense there and he didn't get a chance to show it, or is there limited offensive upside.

I think he worth the gamble just because I think he will play based on his size and skating ability alone, but if he turns out he could be a really good top 6 center.
You dont gamble a 1st round pick on a 3rd line player, USNTD or not. Better options.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 07:59 AM   #233
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
You dont gamble a 1st round pick on a 3rd line player, USNTD or not. Better options.

Every player that will be left at 26th will be a gamble one way or another. I don't think there will be any "sure thing" top 6 forwards or top 4 defensemen available at our pick.

I think Beecher has just as good a chance to be a top 6 forward as anyone that will be available at our pick, he just has a higher ceiling as well.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #234
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Has the first round broadcast time start on June 21 been posted anywhere? I found one link suggesting a 8pm EDT start, but that doesn't seem right.
With it being on the west coast, they likely pushed it back as late as they reasonably could.

The Canucks ticket site has 5:00pm as the start time: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/info/draft/tickets2019

Even if it runs 4 hours long, it will still be over by midnight Eastern.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #235
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe the first round always starts at 6:00 pm MST which mirrors the NFL first round draft starting time.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #236
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I believe the first round always starts at 6:00 pm MST which mirrors the NFL first round draft starting time.
No, I looked up the last few Draft threads here. The last couple of years, with the draft being held in the Central time zone, it started at 5:30 MT. Prior to that, in Eastern time zone cities, it started at 5:00pm MT.

The first pick is usually made 15-20 minutes after the start time.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #237
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

the hockey writers just put out a synopsis of their mock draft.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nh...ampaign=buffer

they have Calgary selecting Bobby Brink at 26
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #238
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
the hockey writers just put out a synopsis of their mock draft.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nh...ampaign=buffer

they have Calgary selecting Bobby Brink at 26
personally I'd rather not. Small, not super speedy, and I still have a hard time judging USHL guys.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #239
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
I agree. Best case scenario is that you barely get any value for your pick.
Plus guys like that are easy to acquire in free agency or trade and often end up being overpaid. Not to mention they have short careers.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #240
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I seriously doubt they go with a winger over a center here.

I mean, last #1 pick wingers were Yakupov and Hall, and in both cases Edmonton would have been better off picking the next center. (Galchenyuk and Seguin).

Centers are also rarely complete busts.

1st picks in the NHL drafts are rarely busts regardless of position.

But 3 of the most famous ones were centres, Wickenheiser, Stephan and Daigle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote