Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #21
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Optional morning skate today. Tkachuk is out there after missing yesterday’s practice for maintenance.

Rittich in the starter’s net. Looks like he’ll make a fourth straight start tonight vs. Florida. #Flames
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #22
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to this game and the game on sunday!

Decided it was def time to fly out for a few games!

GFG
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #23
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Optional morning skate today. Tkachuk is out there after missing yesterday’s practice for maintenance.

Rittich in the starter’s net. Looks like he’ll make a fourth straight start tonight vs. Florida. #Flames
I don't know if I'm the minority in here but Mike Smith should have been given the leash to start this game and the game on Sunday against Arizona.

Oh Calgary. Always known to overplay goalies. (Hey Kipper!) We get it. Smith is awful this year. But he needs some opportunity to succeed. And one is to make him play against a pretty meh team. Make sure also that the workload handed to BSD and Smitty are balanced!

Overplaying Smith last year is still fresh in our minds, Bill Peters. We had to rely on AHL goaltending (Gillies and pre-BSD Rittich) and that cost us a playoff spot.

Last edited by TheRealPepman; 01-11-2019 at 10:41 AM.
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheRealPepman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #24
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

You are definitely in the minority
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #25
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPepman View Post
I don't know if I'm the minority in here but Mike Smith should have been given the leash to start this game and the game on Sunday against Arizona.

Oh Calgary. Always known to overplay goalies. (Hey Kipper!) We get it. Smith is awful this year. But he needs some opportunity to succeed. And one is to make him play against a pretty meh team. Make sure also that the workload handed to BSD and Smitty are balanced!

Overplaying Smith last year is still fresh in our minds, Bill Peters. We had to rely on AHL goaltending (Gillies and pre-BSD Rittich) and that cost us a playoff spot.

He has been given the opportunity to succeed, and then some. The Flames have been patient and professional with Smith, he has hung himself with the rope provided.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #26
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There might be 3 people on this site who agrees with you.... Is that a minority? The only time Smith should start for the rest of the year is if it's a back to back.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #27
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Disagree. I don't think we can accuse Peters of overplaying Rittich so far. It's not like he is playing in a back to back. I would have given Smith one of the games and it makes sense to me to give Rittich the game tonight and Smith the game Sunday. That gives Rittich 4 days off before Buffalo and with a big break coming I don't know if fatigue is an issue.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #28
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Smith should only play on a back to back until he can prove he can win games again (which he has not shown this year).

He's already been given a crazy long leash and tied himself up with it 5 times over.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #29
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Hathaway and Prout skating late. Looks like they’ll be scratches tonight.

Mangiapane and Kylington look like they’ll come in. #Flames
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #30
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Disagree. I don't think we can accuse Peters of overplaying Rittich so far. It's not like he is playing in a back to back. I would have given Smith one of the games and it makes sense to me to give Rittich the game tonight and Smith the game Sunday. That gives Rittich 4 days off before Buffalo and with a big break coming I don't know if fatigue is an issue.
Yeah, I will stay away from the fatigue issue discussion. Some of the smartest guys in the room have in their heads an ideal number of starts unsubstantiated by data.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #31
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Came here to make a tribute video joke. Left beaten to the punch, but satisfied.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #32
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

man the title gave me a mini-heart attack. Thought it was a trade thread title....

*phew*
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #33
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Hathaway and Prout skating late. Looks like they’ll be scratches tonight.

Mangiapane and Kylington look like they’ll come in. #Flames
Happy to see both young players back in the lineup. As a Kylington fan boy, will be especially interested to see whether he learned anything from watching a game from the press box. Still has so much potential!
Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #34
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hopefully Mangiapane can actually do something tonight. Still zero points for his career.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #35
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a fan of taking Hathaway out for Mangiapane.

Hathway has proved he can be an NHL-caliber PKer and chip in offensively. His skating is average to above-average.

Mangiapane seems like he doesn't know what to do with the puck.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #36
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yet if Mangiapane had ripped his chances into the net instead of denting the cross bar, we wouldn't be saying that.

He brings skill and speed to the lineup. That's what the NHL is about.

Hathaway is a strong, physical guy. But I take a skilled fast guy over that any day.

We need more from our bottom 6 in terms of scoring. You don't get that by reducing the skill level of the bottom 6.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #37
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Hathaway had a strong game against the Avs. Surprised to see him out.

That said it would be nice to see Eat Bread do something.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #38
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Flames go!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #39
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Jeez man, the amount of leash Smith has been given could stretch to China. And every time he’s been given it, he’s run to the nearest tree as fast as he can to hang himself with it. Enough with this guy, he had his “opportunity to succeed” and he blew it, over and over and over. He’s done, and that’s the whole story.

Give him back-to-backs until the trade deadline when hopefully an actual NHL-caliber backup is brought in. Then cut him loose.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #40
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Brouwer ends up on the ice with the Flames first line out there. They might never end their shift.