Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2021, 10:26 PM   #1501
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
What about when Elon says something and crypto goes up? Is that okay? Morally indefensible lol someone think of those poor children. Space man baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad call the feels police.
After the tweet

My Bitcoin went down
My ADA went up

Its nothing personal I just feel like the guy has too much power and should consider his actions more carefully. He is also full of #### in this case considering he didn't actually sell any.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:41 AM   #1502
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Crypto is bigger than Musk, but not if people choose to let him control it.

Given his power over the market, it shows to me how far in the early stages we still are.

Most people are not even aware of our options such as ADA.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #1503
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Crypto is bigger than Musk, but not if people choose to let him control it.

Given his power over the market, it shows to me how far in the early stages we still are.

Most people are not even aware of our options such as ADA.
People let John McAfee do similar things, Cryptocurrency is full of pump and dump hucksters over its history.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #1504
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

And it will be until properly regulated.

But people choose to panic and sell just because of what Musk says.

Does work well for those of us who just buy the dip as well.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:19 AM   #1505
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
And it will be until properly regulated.

But people choose to panic and sell just because of what Musk says.

Does work well for those of us who just buy the dip as well.
isnt nonregulation the whole point of it?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #1506
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People panic and sell stocks because of rumour or their cat hacked up a hair ball don't see why crypto is any different.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #1507
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I think it's time to move my crypto portfolio to a hardware wallet and off the exchanges.I have been looking at the Ledger Nano X. If anyone who uses one of those could let me know if it's a good choice or have another recommendation it would be much appreciated. The crypto I would like to store is BTC, ETH, XRP, XLM, ADA, MATIC and Safemoon. Thanks friends
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #1508
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
People panic and sell stocks because of rumour or their cat hacked up a hair ball don't see why crypto is any different.
A traditional economic view would be that normal stocks have a base value due to the inherent utility of the thing they make, how efficient they are at making it compared to the competition, how much competition there is etc.
Boeing might be in trouble right now but they still have orders, they still make money, pay a dividend and in some period of time people will start flying again airlines will buy planes and Boeing's stock will rise, the problem with crypto, or any other currency is the value is solely based on perception of value, there is no bottom for a currency which is why you would never 'invest' in a currency normally, you might look to trade on its short term fluctuations or if it was stable park your wealth in it while looking for an investment to move it to, and that's with a Government backed currency where you could reasonably expect them to defend the price, crypto doesnt even have this, any crypto could lose all value and cease to be a 'thing' in fact it is certain that in a year or two most cryptocurrency's will have disappeared, what you and others are betting on right now is which, if any, survive.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:31 PM   #1509
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
So I think it's time to move my crypto portfolio to a hardware wallet and off the exchanges.I have been looking at the Ledger Nano X. If anyone who uses one of those could let me know if it's a good choice or have another recommendation it would be much appreciated. The crypto I would like to store is BTC, ETH, XRP, XLM, ADA, MATIC and Safemoon. Thanks friends
The Nano X is nice. Easy to use and has Bluetooth to connect to your phone. Not sure if it’s compatible with all your alt coins. Get it from the Ledger Website and not a third party like Amazon.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robotic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 12:20 AM   #1510
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
A traditional economic view would be that normal stocks have a base value due to the inherent utility of the thing they make, how efficient they are at making it compared to the competition, how much competition there is etc.

Boeing might be in trouble right now but they still have orders, they still make money, pay a dividend and in some period of time people will start flying again airlines will buy planes and Boeing's stock will rise, the problem with crypto, or any other currency is the value is solely based on perception of value, there is no bottom for a currency which is why you would never 'invest' in a currency normally, you might look to trade on its short term fluctuations or if it was stable park your wealth in it while looking for an investment to move it to, and that's with a Government backed currency where you could reasonably expect them to defend the price, crypto doesnt even have this, any crypto could lose all value and cease to be a 'thing' in fact it is certain that in a year or two most cryptocurrency's will have disappeared, what you and others are betting on right now is which, if any, survive.
I think in the next 2 years we'll see an explosion in the number of cryptos.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:29 AM   #1511
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
that is not a fact or certain...you were saying similar things 4 or 5 years ago
Old 05-17-2021, 12:32 AM   #1512
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post

To what purpose?
Old 05-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #1513
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Haven’t we already. There’s approximately 10,000 right now.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #1514
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To whatever purpose the creator of a token chooses, maybe as a digital certificate of authenticity that can be transferred to demonstrate chain of custody. Maybe to demonstrate ownership shares in a company. There are endless reasons to create a new digital token and many platforms to host on.

karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #1515
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To whatever purpose the creator of a token chooses, maybe as a digital certificate of authenticity that can be transferred to demonstrate chain of custody. Maybe to demonstrate ownership shares in a company. There are endless reasons to create a new digital token and many platforms to host on.

None of these make sense as a crypto though, why would anyone want to endlessly pay for this? all you need is a single trusted 3rd party, correct me if I'm wrong but you have to endlessly pay for crypto's, computer owners have to be incentivised to operate a crypto and you need a lot of them, that would be a costly way to create a token to indicate ownership
Old 05-17-2021, 06:04 PM   #1516
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I also get tokens at the arcade but there’s no value hanging onto them once I leave. No one else will give me quarters for them as hard as I try.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 07:45 AM   #1517
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sorry to derail this for a second. Where are all of you buying or selling your crypto?

Is wealthsimple a good option? Any help would be appreciated.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:23 AM   #1518
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
Sorry to derail this for a second. Where are all of you buying or selling your crypto?

Is wealthsimple a good option? Any help would be appreciated.

I use Newton to send my CAD. If you want ETH or BTC, then you can buy it from Newton. If I want something that Newton doesn't sell what I want, I buy Stellar (XLM) or some other coin with a low transfer fee, and send that to my account on another exchange. Then use that to buy whatever I want.

I have accounts with Binance and FTX.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:31 AM   #1519
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Binance for trading (cheapest trading) and as a mining pool since it supports ETH, Storj and XMR with static addresses, and now I'm using Gate.io to trade my Chia on.

I use Coinbase to cash out since it's direct to PayPal.

I've never bought crypto with fiat so I'm not sure what the best option is for that.

Reminder that I have a 10%/10% affiliate link for Binance, so if you sign up there we get 10% of each others trade fees as extra tokens in perpetuum.

https://accounts.binance.com/en/register?ref=X1QCXYYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 05-18-2021 at 09:30 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:13 AM   #1520
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

China starts to realize they can't really control crypto currencies, and is making moves towards banning them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/18/chin...-business.html

I wonder if they make the big step to banning mining? What affect would that have on them? I presume mining would have to become more profitable, and transaction costs would go way up?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum