Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #81
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
I think the chance of him pulling a Favre and going to the oilers is a real possibility. The worst part won't be the greasy oilers fans rubbing it in our faces, the worst part will be the casual flames "fans" that start rooting for Edmonton to "get jarome a cup".
I could definitely see it happening. I mean, the Flames had Steve Smith and Grant Fuhr at one time, so its not unprecedented. It would suck, but I'd probably understand it from Iggy's point of view. Although I'd never root for the Oilers, with or without Iggy I hope they always fail. Any lingering desire to see Iggy hoist the cup would be long gone as soon as he put on that jersey.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #82
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Odd that you would like to see him out of the game. I watched him down the stretch for LA and I am thinking beyond his leadership skills this guy still has a lot to give a team for another year or two.

Would love to see Iggy on the Flames power play.
I don't think anyone wants him out of the game. Iggy can ride ride off into the sunset whenever and however he chooses.
Folks just wish that the rest would move on too, like Iginla, the Flames and most fans have. He doesn't want to be here and the Flames don't want him. Pretty simple really
Old 06-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #83
Calgaryguy73
Draft Pick

I am a big Iggy fan and was lucky enough to see almost all of the home games during the 2004 cup run. He has a long legacy here and has records on the Flames that will most likely never be broken. That being said, he was traded to LA at the deadline for a conditional 4th round draft pick if LA made the playoffs or they resign him. Since the Kings missed the playoffs and they are unlikely to sign him - he was basically given away for free and the Avs paid half his remaining salary.

He is no longer a top 6 forward. He would be too slow to keep up with Gaudreau and Monahan and there is no way his game would suit the second line on the 3M line. He doesn't have the energy to be in the bottom 6 either. He doesn't hit much and really only has his shot. He is still a warrior and will drop the mits when needed but that isn't enough for the Flames to bring him back.

I hope I am wrong but I think Iggy is going to find it tough to sign with anyone who is a contender for the cup (including the Oilers even if they are really in that category).

I like to remember him for almost carrying the team to a cup in 04 with Kipper. Good luck Iggy but it is time to stop the idea of him coming back to the Flames for some swan song where the team goes on a cup run with him
Old 06-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #84
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

The day Iginla left the Flames was the day I stopped caring about him. I don't care if he wins a cup or not now. I will start caring again if the Flames decides to sign him somehow.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:30 AM   #85
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
The day Iginla left the Flames was the day I stopped caring about him. I don't care if he wins a cup or not now. I will start caring again if the Flames decides to sign him somehow.
I find it hard to understand how any Flames fan could feel this way
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 01:48 AM   #86
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Iginla gets a contract next season. Will be interesting to see the numbers.

Everyone in Colorado with any talent did poorly. Know who was the ONLY 20 goal scorer in Colorado last year? Ratanen. Duchene, Landeskog or even MacKinnon couldn't score 20. That says a lot about the team.

In LA Iginla had 6 goals in 19 games. That's more than respectable. Add the leadership that he brought and the toughness he added to the squad, and I would say a lot of teams look at him this off-season. His time in LA will translate into another year for him.

At less than 2 million, I think Iginla comes in as a bargain. If he signs low enough, a bona fide contender may even look at him then. Maybe Washington depending on where they end up in salaries after all their moves, and feel they need depth scoring and some leadership.

If Iginla is willing to take a reduced role and a reduced salary, he may price himself into a very attractive addition for a championship caliber squad that is looking for solid depth. Slow or not, I would bring Iginla in to play on the 4th line. It wouldn't surprise me if he out-scores Brouwer this year at half his cap hit wherever he ends up.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:40 AM   #87
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
In LA Iginla had 6 goals in 19 games. That's more than respectable.
I mean sure, he'll likely get a contract, but I wouldn't make much of that if I was GM. Sample size, unsustainable s%, mostly on powerplay.

Last edited by Itse; 06-29-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #88
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I mean sure, he'll likely get a contract, but I wouldn't make much of that if I was GM. Sample size, unsustainable s%, mostly on powerplay.

...and as we all know, power play goals aren't worth as much on the scoreboard as even strength goals.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #89
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
...and as we all know, power play goals aren't worth as much on the scoreboard as even strength goals.
That's correct. The pp goal you scored is only worth half as much on the scoreboard as the 2 even strength goals they scored on you while you were on the ice because you were unable to keep up with the pace of play.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #90
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
I find it hard to understand how any Flames fan could feel this way
Easy
Flames fan =/= Iginla fan

That said I still have a slight emotional attachment to a former hero of the team. I would really hate if he played for a rival and would be genuinely happy if he won a cup - just not with said rivals.
Maybe I am still a bit of an Iggy fan though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #91
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
That's correct. The pp goal you scored is only worth half as much on the scoreboard as the 2 even strength goals they scored on you while you were on the ice because you were unable to keep up with the pace of play.
What??? You mean Iginla's 14 goals (7 on the PP) and his 27 points (11 on the PP) weren't nearly as important at the -30 he was over the season? People like to talk about how "great" Iginla was for LA, but he was trending to a -38 over a full season with the Kings. I want no part of that on the Flames.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #92
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBRI2 View Post
Feel for Iggy, could you imagine if he stuck it with the Pens? Two rings already. Well, that's life.
It's not like Iggy had a choice. People keep thinking there were 30 teams lined up just itching to sign him. There were not.

The Pens did say they wished they could keep him, but the salary structure didn't allow it. Boston said the same thing. When he was finished in Boston, there were even less teams wanting to sign him. People blame him for going to Colorado, but again, what were his choices? Slim, I'll warrant.

I bet there are only a handful of teams kicking his tires on July 1, if that.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #93
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

He wanted stability for his family, and Colorado offered a Long term deal. They were young but no one could have predicted how bad they became over those 3 years.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 AM   #94
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Power play goals are unreliable because they require a player being on the power play, and if you're a liability at 5 on 5 then the PP icetime doesn't justify the 5v5 icetime. In the playoffs especially, PP goals tend to dry up against disciplined and elite PKing teams. If you are only interested in boxcar stats then sure PP goals are worth just as much as ES goals but if you have cup aspirations your team needs more 5 on 5 emphasis.

Iginla is an upgrade on only one RW on our roster, and that RW is making 4.5M for 3 more years, effectively handcuffing us on this front. You could shelter Iggy 5v5 with, say, Stajan and Jankowski, if that 4RW weren't already occupied.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 06-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #95
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a little surprised at how little I actually cared about Iginla after he left. I guess I would have liked it if he got a cup in Pittsburgh or Boston. But I really didn;t care that much. And in Colorado he didn't seem to matter at all, either way.

That said, no to Edmonton.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #96
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It's not like Iggy had a choice. People keep thinking there were 30 teams lined up just itching to sign him. There were not.

The Pens did say they wished they could keep him, but the salary structure didn't allow it. Boston said the same thing. When he was finished in Boston, there were even less teams wanting to sign him. People blame him for going to Colorado, but again, what were his choices? Slim, I'll warrant.

I bet there are only a handful of teams kicking his tires on July 1, if that.
I understood that part as well. And it was obvious that he chased after money (or term) and stability. I was just making that assumption.

Or he could have signed a 3-4 year deal at a much lower AAV.

So the thought process could be for family over for winning the cup...hindsight.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #97
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBRI2 View Post
I understood that part as well. And it was obvious that he chased after money (or term) and stability. I was just making that assumption.

Or he could have signed a 3-4 year deal at a much lower AAV.

So the thought process could be for family over for winning the cup...hindsight.
Wrong.

He chose to continue playing and the Avs offered him a deal. Who else offered him a deal? No one knows except for him and his agent. How is that chasing money? Was he supposed to offer his services for free to the Hawks or Pens just to try to win a Cup?
Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #98
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Wrong.

He chose to continue playing and the Avs offered him a deal. Who else offered him a deal? No one knows except for him and his agent. How is that chasing money? Was he supposed to offer his services for free to the Hawks or Pens just to try to win a Cup?
You had to quote the whole line as the big picture...not just for "money" because I used the word "and"...it is the big picture for his family and while I don't know any insights, it looks like he is a family guy and took the best offer which included good money, good stability, and then a decent looking young Avs roster on the table at that time.

I didn't expect him to sign for free. And I said in hindsight now. May be he was worth 2 mil in the Pens eyes but I don't know how else it would have been played out if Iggy was fully fighting for a cup ring. His personal priorities also factored in for the decision.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #99
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was alot of talk about the Canucks wanting him that year. Thank god he chose Colorado.

I can't really blame him for taking a chance on Colorado. They had a promising season and then took a complete nosedive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 02:03 PM   #100
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here is Jaromes' dream 17/18 season.

December - Plays for Canada in the Spengler Cup
February - Captains team Canada in the Olympics, wins gold
March - signs with a contender, goes on to win the Stanley Cup

(if that team is Edmonton, he is dead to me)
Closed Thread