Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #41
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperFaNaTic View Post
What's with the hate for jankowski? He's a serviceable third line-winger who is a great penalty killer and gets you 10 goals.
Except hes a center. Never played a minute as a winger.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 PM   #42
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can Neal be moved for another bad contract to try and salvage another player? Someone like Bobby Ryan, Andrew Ladd, or Corey Perry. Someone with the same contract but added toughness and experience. Neal brings nothing to this team, but maybe another organization thinks he can redeem himself still.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #43
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
Might get crap for this, but is tree a guarantee? I mean they have had about as much success outside of the regular season as they have since he got there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, no way they fire Treliving. What more could he have done? 50 win season for the first time since forever. 5 players over 70 points. Just some fine tuning left.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #44
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Both sucked.
Not sure how that’s even a debate.
Both were awful
Sure but who who was 6'2, 210lbs C that did nothing? Johnny at least tried. Small guy playing scared but still some effort there. Monahan was MIA.

Johnny needs a better C. The Flames need a better #1C.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #45
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this was the last Flames game for:

Frolik
Brodie
Smith
Stone
Fantenburg
Prout

I think we have to move Neal quickly. We'll need to add to get rid of him.

I'm also anticipating that Monahan will replace Brodie as public whipping boy
Old 04-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #46
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question

The regular season really doesn't mean that much to me, more so than their performance in the playoffs, because that's when you need your roster delivering. And the past three times in the playoffs, they've gotten tuned when eliminated. 2015 is forgivable because they weren't even expected to make playoffs, advanced, and it was their first time. But since then, 2017 and this year has been a disaster. You have to look at the core, and see which players are made for the playoffs, and who's not.

Gaudreau can't do it on his own, and be an impact player like MacKinnon or Mathews can be. He needs support from another player that's up to his level. If that can't be brought in, then you gotta trade him since the Flames aren't going to elevate with him being the only forward superstar. He can't handle the physical empowerment the opposing team impose on him, and it'll be pointless trying to tread water here.

There's gotta be some movements with the roster to bring in more top in forward support. Neal not panning out really ####ed everything over. Can't be going after older UFA's anymore. Treliving is pretty good at trading, so he's gotta pull another rabbit or two out of the hat to improve this team to be playoff ready.

Everyone aside from a few D-prospects should be up for grabs. Even Gio. He's getting up their in age, and the Flames defensive depth can make it manageable giving him away to bring in a crucial piece.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:01 PM   #47
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

My preference:

Out -
Neal
Frolik
Brodie
Czarnik
Prout
Stone

Trade ‘em if you need to -
Jankowski
Monahan
Rittich

Promote (full time) -
Mangiapane
Dube
Valimaki

Focus on upgrading -
Bangers
Power Forward
Goaltending
Two way center
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:02 PM   #48
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It's a tough decision for Brad. It's a catch 22, imo. Monahan is the guy you need to swap out because of the importance of a strong, two way centre, and getting that guy would help create space and ability for Gaudreau.

But I also strongly believe Gaudreau is gone after this contract. So do you move out one star forward and then lose the second a couple years later? From an asset management perspective I'd almost move Gaudreau because he's flashier, gets the bigger return and you likely lose him for nothing soon.

But I'd much rather switch Monahan if everything was equal.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #49
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like the idea of getting Kadri for Brodie. And then just have 3 solid two way centers. Say what you want about Kadri being a dirty player, the guy cares a lot, is on an amazing contract and is a great two way player. Would also trade Monahan for Coutourier.

Johnny Couturier Bennett
Tkachuk Backlund Lindholm
Mangiapane Kadri ????
Dube Ryan Hathaway
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:04 PM   #50
djmichaelk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
You're all mad hatters of you think Treliving is going to carve this roster up. We are in the fine tuning stage of the process. So.e secondary pieces will be swapped around but the cores not going anywhere. And that includes Tkachuk, Bennett, Lindholm,Monahan, Gaudreau, Gio, Andersson, Valimaki etc etc.

This is a similar situation to the Iggy situation back in 2008-2009 they should have traded him then in his prime. I feel within the next couple years if not this summer is a perfect time to trade Johnny to get a decent return. He is not imo a playoff performer. Something needs to happen the flames just showed their true playoff colors. And so did Colorado Joe Sakic knows whats up when it comes to the playoffs. I think the avs are built for it but who knows next round go avs against Vegas or SJ.
djmichaelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:06 PM   #51
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's a tough decision for Brad. It's a catch 22, imo. Monahan is the guy you need to swap out because of the importance of a strong, two way centre, and getting that guy would help create space and ability for Gaudreau.

But I also strongly believe Gaudreau is gone after this contract. So do you move out one star forward and then lose the second a couple years later? From an asset management perspective I'd almost move Gaudreau because he's flashier, gets the bigger return and you likely lose him for nothing soon.

But I'd much rather switch Monahan if everything was equal.
Thing with trading Gaudreau is you can get a kings ransom from like 4 teams in the east. Philly, NJ, Boston, Rangers would all kill for his services. I'm not saying trade him, but I think you could get another top end C and some extra good add ins for him.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:06 PM   #52
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperFaNaTic View Post
What's with the hate for jankowski? He's a serviceable third line-winger who is a great penalty killer and gets you 10 goals.

Always left me wanting more all season, especially 5-on-5. Didn't think he was good at all on the penalty kill in the series. Will be curious to see what management thinks of him, if there's more potential growth there or if we should move on. I'm leaning towards moving him for another asset, or as an add-on for a bigger piece. Would like to see Dube or Bennett in the middle instead.

Biggest need for me is a dynamic #1 centre. Does that mean moving Monahan out? Or moving someone else and bumping him down to #2? It'll be interesting to see what Treliving thinks is the problem.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #53
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Monahan is clearly injured. Why keep throwing him under the bus? Johnny was just as useless
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doctajones428 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #54
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
Monahan is clearly injured. Why keep throwing him under the bus? Johnny was just as useless
Monahan is permanently injured. He has no heart. Also missing a gut.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #55
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Thing with trading Gaudreau is you can get a kings ransom from like 4 teams in the east. Philly, NJ, Boston, Rangers would all kill for his services. I'm not saying trade him, but I think you could get another top end C and some extra good add ins for him.
Yep, I'm almost leaning that way. If you can get a true number one centre for Gaudreau from out east and have Monahan at number 2 we'd become VERY strong down the middle with Backlund on the third line.

Absolutely, the more I think about it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #56
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I like the idea of getting Kadri for Brodie. And then just have 3 solid two way centers. Say what you want about Kadri being a dirty player, the guy cares a lot, is on an amazing contract and is a great two way player. Would also trade Monahan for Coutourier.

Johnny Couturier Bennett
Tkachuk Backlund Lindholm
Mangiapane Kadri ????
Dube Ryan Hathaway
Could you imagine how often Kadri would get suspended if he were a Flame? I want no part of him.

Brodie will most likely be traded, I also think he will be missed more than people realize.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #57
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Need to adapt to the officiating standard. Can't slow it down and look for the precise pass because either the passer or the passee gets manhandled. Gotta go more for North-South, quick strike, or shot from the point when opposing forwards are caught deep. Primary puck carrier should maybe not even be Gaudreau. Powerplay should have players on their one-timer side. Defensively, more slashes, more hooking, and attack the hands because tripping is more obvious and forces calls. Will probably cost points to practice these adaptations in the regular season but might be worth it come next year's playoffs.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #58
djmichaelk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Could you imagine how often Kadri would get suspended if he were a Flame? I want no part of him.

Brodie will most likely be traded, I also think he will be missed more than people realize.
Yea no to Kadri a disaster Idea for sure ugh eww lol
djmichaelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #59
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

One major problem we have in our guessing game is we do not know what has gone wrong since the break. Peters and Treliving have a much better idea than we do as to what happened to the play of our 1st line and several others.

If it’s off-ice stuff, conditioning, selfishness, injury? We don’t know - but some of those things will have Treliving considering making major changes, while others will not.

I said it in the game thread, and I’ll repeat it here: Gaudreau is going to be dogged physically every time we make the playoffs here on in. Were I an opposing team, I’d be beating him up badly.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:10 PM   #60
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You're all mad hatters of you think Treliving is going to carve this roster up. We are in the fine tuning stage of the process. So.e secondary pieces will be swapped around but the cores not going anywhere. And that includes Tkachuk, Bennett, Lindholm,Monahan, Gaudreau, Gio, Andersson, Valimaki etc etc.

Sorry but teams that get dominated in a first round like the Flames just did don't get to have 8+ core players that absolutely can't be moved.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post: