Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #201
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Right now Tomasino, Lavoie and Hoglander are my favorites at 26, but if they are gone I might take a gamble on a couple of guys who could be very good.

1. Jamieson Rees, he is fast and skilled and plays an aggressive game. I think there is a lot of upside offensively with his game, but injuries might be factor because of his small frame and how aggressive he plays.

2. Nathan Legare, has a big shot and hits like a truck. Needs to work on his skating, but if he improves I think he could be a Timo Meier type player.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 09:10 AM   #202
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Our Final ranking (top-100) was just released, so dig in: https://futureconsiderations.ca/top-rankings-2019/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAV View Post
Hey guys. Quick, simple plug here.

FC's 2019 NHL Draft Guide is now available for purchase, and if you use promo code 2019CP, you'll all get a 20% off discount. You've all done such a fantastic job of supporting Future Considerations in the past, and we love you for it!

Link should be in my signature, but failing that, you can order here and then plug in the promo code once you get to the next step: https://futureconsiderations.ca/2019-nhl-draft-guide/

Thanks!
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FCAV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #203
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see calgary get a second round pick as part of the Brodie/Hamonic trade this year... i think button said that 20-50 is pretty much on big shelf...

i would absolutely love getting a guy like Afanasyev or Brink in the second...

i was intially hoping for McMichael, Hoglander, Tomasino, Kayilev but reading more and more, there does seem to be a ton of interesting players that will be available at that pick... Nick Robertson, Pelletier, Poulin, Lavoie... all sound intriguing as well

i expect some fireworks by calgary at the draft, trading a D due to the cap crunch seems to be a lock and the hope is that you might be able to get some picks this year as a result. Excited for it

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 06-02-2019 at 10:41 AM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #204
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I think I'm after Bobby Brink with the first this year. Projected to go somewhere in the mid 20's. Plays in Sioux City with Pospisil so the Flames will be familiar with him. 35 goals and 33 assists in 43 games to lead his team in scoring.

He was the USHL forward of the year and should be going to play in Denver next year with Pettersen.

Scouts say he has one of the best shots in the draft and is a sniper. Real good acceleration, but needs to work on his speed after that. In addition to his shot he has soft hands and can score in tight. Makes clean zone entries and is a solid playmaker to boot.

Supports well in the defensive zone and is known for creating turnovers. Comparisons I see the most are TJ Oshie and Alex Debrincat.

Also, Bobby Brink is a great hockey name.

If Brink is gone, I wouldn't mind taking Spencer Knight too. I'm typically not a fan of taking a goalie in the first round, but this kid has it all. Since it's a late first if he pans out it could pay huge dividends in 3-4 years. Reminds me a bit of when TB took Vasilevskiy.
Lots of tire pumping for Brink going on of late. I get the feeling he's not going to make it out of the teens as he's a fast rising prospect and a lot of talk about him possessing elite skills.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #205
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Lots of tire pumping for Brink going on of late. I get the feeling he's not going to make it out of the teens as he's a fast rising prospect and a lot of talk about him possessing elite skills.
The fact that the Combine lists him as 5’ 8.25” might increase his likelihood of falling to the Flames.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #206
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
The fact that the Combine lists him as 5’ 8.25” might increase his likelihood of falling to the Flames.

My biggest concern with Brink is he doesn't have elite speed, and he can have a bit of an awkward stride at times. This gets magnified when you look at the fact that he is 5'8".
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #207
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
My biggest concern with Brink is he doesn't have elite speed, and he can have a bit of an awkward stride at times. This gets magnified when you look at the fact that he is 5'8".
Skating coaches can do a lot. At his size, I doubt motivation to improve would be lacking. And that hockey sense, passing and shooting....
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #208
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like Lavoie, but I think he'll be gone by our pick
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #209
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I really like Lavoie, but I think he'll be gone by our pick
I'd be personally shocked if he slips past 20.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #210
circle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'd be personally shocked if he slips past 20.
Especially after his great playoff run and Memorical Cup performance.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #211
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Skating coaches can do a lot. At his size, I doubt motivation to improve would be lacking. And that hockey sense, passing and shooting....
Tkachuk and Monahan continue to be below-average skaters. Maybe its not that simple?
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #212
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am hoping that Brad Treliving trades at least two core members of this team at the draft.

This team is too small, too soft, and just doesn't have what it takes to win in the playoffs.

It's time to do something about that.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #213
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Tkachuk and Monahan continue to be below-average skaters. Maybe its not that simple?
You can’t teach speed.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #214
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
You can’t teach speed.
Actually, yes you can.

The thing at the NHL level however is that most guys are already at optimum speed through their own/team conditioning programs.

So many things go into increasing speed though that its a real intense commitment and time consuming thing to improve noticeably.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:57 AM   #215
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Actually, yes you can.

The thing at the NHL level however is that most guys are already at optimum speed through their own/team conditioning programs.

So many things go into increasing speed though that its a real intense commitment and time consuming thing to improve noticeably.
I have to admit Draisaitl is night and day faster than he was in his rookie season. Went from below average skater so IMO pretty quick. Maybe some of that was due to him not being in as good of shape as he could have been in junior and his rookie season but whatever they did worked for him. Tavares is another case of a player improving his skating as a pro. It's very doable but as you say it takes a big offseason commitment and maybe some players just don't have that motivation or dedication.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-03-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #216
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has the first round broadcast time start on June 21 been posted anywhere? I found one link suggesting a 8pm EDT start, but that doesn't seem right.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #217
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Has the first round broadcast time start on June 21 been posted anywhere? I found one link suggesting a 8pm EDT start, but that doesn't seem right.
That sounds about right. Usually it starts about 5:00pm or 6:00pm mountain time. Although the link you provided is showing the time for the draft lottery in April. Based on years past I know that the draft hasn't started when I get home from work, which is after 5:00pm most days, but I may leave early on draft day to watch the 1st round in it's entirety.

Last edited by Buff; 06-03-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #218
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, you’re sayin’ I don’t need to take a day-off...
Old 06-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #219
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

It almost feels like draft day is bigger than trade deadline day. I'm taking the day off.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #220
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go here:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/schedule/

Select June 21.

It doesn't show programming for that day, but there is 3 events on that day and it shows start times for those events. One of them is the draft and it says 5:30pm.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote