Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #1041
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
We just ordered in some St. Ambroise Russian Imperial Stout.

You also should try the Blindman New England. Its super hard to get usually. We could only order it about once every 1.5 months. It's probably my favorite of the style.

Should have them by Thursday night.
would love to try the blindman- hopefully you will still have some by the end of the long weekend

this thread has inspired me to crack open a collective arts #4 for the women's Canada-US game tonight

a NE style IPA I've been enjoying lately is the Breakside (oregon) what rough beast

spent a week in Vermont this summer and had many (many) a Heady Topper- great stuff
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #1042
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
The limited release Ichorous was the Woodford Reserve. This was only released one time this year.

The regular Ichorous is available year round and I almost always have it at The Beer Vault.

Woodford (might have a few of these...)
https://untappd.com/b/blindman-brewi...2128699/photos
That link has people taking pictures of a different beer. Most of the pictures are of this:
https://untappd.com/b/blindman-brewi...rewing/2187252

Which I might add is an awesome beer.

H&L- is that the one you still have some of in your store? Or is it the new Ichorous Woodford reserve? Let me know- I'll make a special trip out there tomorrow.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:00 AM   #1043
Sert
Draft Pick

This might be slightly off topic, but do any Calgary home brewers out there using corny kegs know of any growler bars/brewers who will fill them? I brew outdoors and seeing as it's been ridiculously cold the last five or so weekends my kegerator is running low. I've been working the phone and Cold Garden and Last Best are maybes and Oak & Vine will do it, but everyone else I can think of is a hard no.

Also, if you've filled a corny keg from a commercial brewer before, any tips on doing it? Pre-flush the keg with CO2, use an extra long growler fill hose and hope for the best?
Sert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:50 AM   #1044
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm enjoying Village brewery's Bobby. Nice to see some malty ales breaking through the stranglehold of IPAs. Too bad it's only a seasonal.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #1045
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sert View Post
This might be slightly off topic, but do any Calgary home brewers out there using corny kegs know of any growler bars/brewers who will fill them? I brew outdoors and seeing as it's been ridiculously cold the last five or so weekends my kegerator is running low. I've been working the phone and Cold Garden and Last Best are maybes and Oak & Vine will do it, but everyone else I can think of is a hard no.

Also, if you've filled a corny keg from a commercial brewer before, any tips on doing it? Pre-flush the keg with CO2, use an extra long growler fill hose and hope for the best?
I haven't had one filled at a commercial brewery before but have a 10gal SS brite tank that I fill 5gal ball lock kegs with. The best way would be a pressurized transfer. Fill from the "out" port on the keg, with the PRV stuck open. Same steps with the keg to clean, sani, flush with co2.

Cold Garden are great guys so hopefully you end up getting them to hook you up and the Last Best IPA is one of my favorites.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomLeeMC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #1046
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You also should try the Blindman New England. Its super hard to get usually. We could only order it about once every 1.5 months. It's probably my favorite of the style.

Should have them by Thursday night.
Yep, the Blindman NE is a quality beer. Up there with Tokyo Drift as two of the better NE style IPAs in Alberta, although there are sure to be several I haven't tried. Need to get around to trying Talking Hops from Highline, as I have heard good things.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #1047
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Yep, the Blindman NE is a quality beer. Up there with Tokyo Drift as two of the better NE style IPAs in Alberta, although there are sure to be several I haven't tried. Need to get around to trying Talking Hops from Highline, as I have heard good things.
ok picked me up some of these (Blindman NE) at the vault yesterday. -good thing plenty of olympic viewing opportunities to crack them open
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #1048
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

New brewery opened up in Red Deer today. Belly Hop. Going to check it out after work and I had a chance to try Snake Lake from Sylvan Lake last week. The IPA and the NE pale were pretty good, excited to see what new beers these two places can put out.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomLeeMC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #1049
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Enjoying a Nitro Stout from Railyard Brewing tonight and it’s pretty good. Nice to have more local options of that style.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #1050
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alberta beer awards were handed out this past week. I have been trying to focus on Alberta beer recently, but there is just too much out there for me to comment on the majority of these. I would suggest the best imperial IPA in Alberta is the Bench Creek Apex Predator, but that is just me. Wonder if it couldn't really make the list as it is a seasonal and was only released for the year recently? Strongly recommend if you can track it down- although it is very pricey at around $24 for 4 tall cans.

Anyway, glad to have the list, as I will make an effort to chip away at it and try when possible.

http://www.avenuecalgary.com/Beer/Best-Beer-in-Alberta/
Old 03-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #1051
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Alberta beer awards were handed out this past week. I have been trying to focus on Alberta beer recently, but there is just too much out there for me to comment on the majority of these. I would suggest the best imperial IPA in Alberta is the Bench Creek Apex Predator, but that is just me. Wonder if it couldn't really make the list as it is a seasonal and was only released for the year recently? Strongly recommend if you can track it down- although it is very pricey at around $24 for 4 tall cans.

Anyway, glad to have the list, as I will make an effort to chip away at it and try when possible.

Severe lack of dandy brewing Co in the sour category = fishy voting to me

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #1052
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Severe lack of dandy brewing Co in the sour category = fishy voting to me

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I wonder if they didn't enter the beer which is why they didn't win, I didn't see a list of all the beers that were judged but if Apex Predator was there, then I agree. It's a really good beer and same with anything Dandy. I do know that the Corbus Belgian Dark Strong from Troubled Monk Brewery hasn't even been released to the public yet(at least wasn't on friday) so basically comes down to whatever beer you can get into the competition/freshness.

Thanks for posting though, it would be a good start for people who don't know or haven't tried all the local stuff and need somewhere to start.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #1053
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made a new friend who makes his own beer and it's really, really good. It's better than 90% of commercial beers. I think I'll keep him. They had a St. Patrick's Day party and some guy brought his own, inferior American beer. Who does that?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #1054
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I made a new friend who makes his own beer and it's really, really good. It's better than 90% of commercial beers. I think I'll keep him. They had a St. Patrick's Day party and some guy brought his own, inferior American beer. Who does that?
You're saying the home brewer hosted the party and the idea was to serve his selection? Was the American beer some macro lager, or a variety of craft brews?
Old 04-01-2018, 11:12 PM   #1055
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone suggest any Alberta breweries with belgian-style beers? Especially tripels and quads.

My go-to is Unibroue. But man does it get expensive trying some other breweries, even other Quebec ones. I know big rock has some decent barrel aged, high alcohol beers.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #1056
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Can anyone suggest any Alberta breweries with belgian-style beers? Especially tripels and quads.

My go-to is Unibroue. But man does it get expensive trying some other breweries, even other Quebec ones. I know big rock has some decent barrel aged, high alcohol beers.
Im not aware of too many breweries out west doing Dubbels, Tripels, and Quads - certainly nothing noteworthy anyway. You do see a lot of Saisons and Sours of course.

You will see the one off seasonal dubbel, trip, or quad sometimes, but that is about. It seems to be a style that is left to Belgium and of course Quebec- and in my experience, Quebec does it very well.

When it comes to Belgian and German style beers, my take is to stick with the masters- why stray from those that have perfected it? The prices aren't too too bad imo.

Speaking of which, Liquor Depot Westhills had Aventinus in their growler bar last time I was there. Sehr gut!

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 04-03-2018 at 02:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #1057
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toured the Bears Paw brewery in Canmore and came home with some beer. I like the beer and the fact that they're environmentally supportive and give to the community.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #1058
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post

It is a BC brewery, not Alberta, but I completely forgot about Dageraad brewing. They essentially only do Belgian style, and have just about all of them covered. I think the one issue is you really only see their stuff in bombers, and average around $10-11 each- which seems to be a bit more than the Unibroue bombers. And considering the average Chimay, Rochefort or Westmalle price of about $5-6 per 325 bottle, it might be hard to see oneself buying Dageraad regularly. Been a number of years since I tried them, but recall it being decent enough. Worth trying of course.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 04-04-2018 at 01:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #1059
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It is a BC brewery, not Alberta, but I completely forgot about Dageraad brewing. They essentially only do Belgian style, and have just about all of them covered. I think the one issue is you really only see their stuff in bombers, and average around $10-11 each- which seems to be a bit more than the Unibroue bombers. And considering the average Chimay, Rochefort or Westmalle price of about $5-6 per 325 bottle, it might be hard to see oneself buying Dageraad regularly. Been a number of years since I tried them, but recall it being decent enough. Worth trying of course.
Yea Unibroue tends to be <$10 for a bomber. Certainly reasonable.

Good call on Dageraad, though I've only had their amber which was too hoppy for my tastes. I don't seem to see a lot of their stuff at coop though, maybe liquor depot?

Hoping that Big Rock (or other local brews) start producing the barrel aged ales year round. Innis and Gunn has their barrel series as well but I hate how many seasonals or "special editons" they release with no guarantee you'll find it again.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #1060
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently did a beer and cheese tasting. I only ever thought you paired cheese with wine and was pleasantly surprised it went so well with beer.

A few recommendations are Brie + Lager, Blue + IPA, and Smoked Cheddar + Porter.

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty