Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #121
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Solo comic book movie? Wow, way to sell whatever-Martin-Freeman's-character's-name-was short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't think it will domestically as I can't see how Infinity war is going to be a good repeatable movie the only interesting piece is who dies and what Macguffin they use to beat Thanos.
Well, first, I don't know if Thanos is defeated. I think this is the Avengers' Empire Strikes Back and ends with someone big getting killed and Thanos winning (for the time being).

Like The Avengers, this is a cumulative effect of now a full decade of movies and plots coming together, including that in the Black Panther and Thor which were both highly regarded recently. I would almost be disappointed if it doesn't have the highest grossing domestic box office of the year as that's going to be a bad sign for its ratings. Otherwise, fans of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Spiderman, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. and now The Black Panther are all coming together (of course there's a huge overlap).

And as you alluded to, unlike any of the recent movies where Spiderman, Thor, Dr. Strange, and now Black Panther, where you weren't really concerned about the hero surviving and being spoiled some major twist if you waited to see it on Netflix, here there's likely going to be a "don't spoil it!" scene where something crazy happens and one of the big names dies.

I get that it won't have such a cultural effect, but Wakanda and T'Challa still seem to play an important role based on the trailer and should be able to get a large portion of new-fans of the MCU to watch it as well.

I don't know, I think Infinity War is going to absolutely crush it.

(EDIT: Unfortunately, I guess Thanos might have to be defeated just to make sense for movie continuity. Doesn't make sense for Ant-Man to have a light-hearted fun film and introduce The Wasp while dealing with some relatively mundane human bull#### if Thanos is slaughtering countries, unless it's happening concurrently or something.)

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 03-20-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #122
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
(EDIT: Unfortunately, I guess Thanos might have to be defeated just to make sense for movie continuity. Doesn't make sense for Ant-Man to have a light-hearted fun film and introduce The Wasp while dealing with some relatively mundane human bull#### if Thanos is slaughtering countries, unless it's happening concurrently or something.)
Ant-Man and The Wasp takes place before Infinity War

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/ant...-mcu-timeline/
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #123
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Infinity War is two movies also right? So I think it's expected that Thanos will be the victor in the first one.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #124
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It use to be Infinity War, Part 1 and Infinity War, Part 2 but became just Infinity War and a yet untitled Avengers movie coming out relatively soon after.

I had not heard that Ant-Man was before, that would make the most sense to establish a winning Thanos, but then we need to wonder where the Wasp is at during the Universe's most dire fight. Looking up more recent articles, it doesn't suggest Ant-Man is necessarily before it, just that it's connected to Infinity War the most.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #125
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hasn't Ant-Man been under house arrest since the last Avengers movie?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #126
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Hasn't Ant-Man been under house arrest since the last Avengers movie?
I don't think so?

The Last Avengers movie was Age of Ultron and he wasn't in it. But assuming you mean Civil War, he was arrested and placed in that hightech prison. Captain America released them all, so presumably he would be a wanted criminal? Unless the government, that imprisoned them without trial, just doesn't want to get involved with Avenger stuff anymore.

EDIT: Apparently the rumours are that Lang was given house arrest for escaping the prison. Not that that makes much sense, but you may be right. Just hasn't actually happened in the movies yet.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 03-20-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #127
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Will easily become highest grossing coming book movie and highest grossing internationally solo comic book movie and probably 3rd all time inflation adjusted domestic comic book movie.

An interesting question will be is this the biggest movie of this year or will Star Wars or Infintiy War beat it. I don't think Solo will given the early press on it. Infinity War will beat it internationally. I don't think it will domestically as I can't see how Infinity war is going to be a good repeatable movie the only interesting piece is who dies and what Macguffin they use to beat Thanos.
Unless the movie is a disappointment, I think Infinity War is going to crush Black Panther at the box office. There's just too many characters in it, so many people are going to watch this movie.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #128
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

With an estimated $27 million, Black Panther finished atop the weekend box office for the fifth straight weekend, pushing the film over $605 million domestically. As a result, Black Panther joins Avatar and The Sixth Sense as only the third film to top the weekend box office for five straight weekends in the last 19 years.

It was convenient to cut the stats off at 19 years since Titanic was #1 for something like 16 weeks straight. Not to take anything away from Black Panther it's a good film I'm glad it is doing so well.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #129
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it had some really great things going for it: the art direction, obviously. But also the character relationships were very different from the typical 'lone wolf' archetypes that tend to dominate comic books. The familial relationships were particularly strong (loved the brother and sister dynamic, the couple from different tribes, etc.). Most comic book movies only use family as an avenging a loved one motivator, and while there was that here as well, it was interesting that this was on the villain's side rather than the hero's. It actually pairs well thematically with GotG2, which was also heavy on family themes, but moreso about the families we choose than those we're born into.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #130
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Killmonger was brilliant. One of the most three-dimensional villains in any movie I've seen in recent years.

It was cool to see Wakanda, what a culture in Africa might have looked like had there been no colonial influences (and y'know, if an asteroid made of vibranium gave them a huge advantage thousands of years ago . . . )

But aside from that, it was just another Marvel movie: not Winter Soldier-good, but not Iron Man 2 or 3-bad.
This pretty much mirrors my thoughts, I would add that naputa metata or whatever her name is was also a very bright spot. I cringed with any parts that walking dead chick had though, and the scenes they had together was like watching the flames play the knights, just two totally different levels.

Killmonger might be my favourite all time comic book villain in movie form. He was outstanding, sad that we won't see more of him in this universe. Well done marvel. They took what black panther has stood for in the states for years and turned it into their villain, but in a compelling way.

I thought a lot of the fight scenes were "meh", and very heavy cgi turned me off of a lot but overall it was a good movie. It might be in its own category in that it was good with some really bright spots contrasted by some really weak spots.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:04 PM   #131
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think this movie suffered from having to establish so much background about wakanda, introduce so many characters and develop their relationships. This may be a case similar to cap where the second one is better than the first.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #132
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm really mad at them removing Thanos' helmet, armor, and giving him a wifebeater most of the movie.

They keep changing iconic things about characters to better show case the actors...its like how Thor almost never wears his helmet.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #133
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Unless the movie is a disappointment, I think Infinity War is going to crush Black Panther at the box office. There's just too many characters in it, so many people are going to watch this movie.
I bet domestically infinity War doesn't catch Black Panther. It will beat it worldwide though. I still can't see Infinity War being a good movie. Once we know who dies and who lives Im not sure how much movie there will be left to watch. And with so many characters they have an impossible task to tell a coherent story with meaningful roles for people.

So the low rewatchability will hurt the box office but internationally everyone will see it becuase it has everyone in it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #134
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm really mad at them removing Thanos' helmet, armor, and giving him a wifebeater most of the movie.

They keep changing iconic things about characters to better show case the actors...its like how Thor almost never wears his helmet.
Thors helmet has always looked stupid and I'm glad they got rid of it. In fact movie Thor in general is possibly the best version of Thor.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #135
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I bet domestically infinity War doesn't catch Black Panther. It will beat it worldwide though. I still can't see Infinity War being a good movie. Once we know who dies and who lives Im not sure how much movie there will be left to watch. And with so many characters they have an impossible task to tell a coherent story with meaningful roles for people.

So the low rewatchability will hurt the box office but internationally everyone will see it becuase it has everyone in it.
Based on recent history, I'd be shocked if this movie is bad. Maybe won't live up to the hype (which at this point might be impossible) but I'm sure it will be good. Marvel has been absolutely killing it the last few years with solid movie after solid movie.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #136
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Given their track record, why would we doubt at this point that Marvel will deliver?

Infinity War will be awesome. It will be a milestone in cinematic history to date as the culmination of a 10 year project and the launching point for the next 10 years.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #137
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Given their track record, why would we doubt at this point that Marvel will deliver?

Infinity War will be awesome. It will be a milestone in cinematic history to date as the culmination of a 10 year project and the launching point for the next 10 years.
Becuase it has the traits of every bad movie ever. Overpowered boss that can only be defeated through its own hubris. Too many characters to tell a coherent story, entirely reliant on a 10 year Macguffin quest and the plot of this movie is fetch the Maguffin / stop the fetching of the Macguffin.

I own the comics, and even in the comics the ending of it how they defeat the villains in Guantlet, War and Crusade is bad. The lead up to is fun but like most of these world culmination plots the ending is a let down.

I have tickets already bought and excited to see it but it has a lot working against it. I expect it to behave kind of like the Last Jedi. Huge opening weekend and then short legs.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #138
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I also hate Infinity War even though I haven’t seen it yet.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #139
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I also hate Infinity War even though I haven’t seen it yet.
You're smarter than this post.

Expecting it to not live up to the hype and not be a great movie is far different from hating it.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #140
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
You're smarter than this post.

Expecting it to not live up to the hype and not be a great movie is far different from hating it.
You're only allowed to hate non-Disney stuff before you see it.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote