Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #2261
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Just watched the Black Mirror season 4 episode Crocodile. It's the first real stinker in the four seasons of the show. The kind of stinker where you wonder why nobody brought up all the face-palm plot ploints and terrible choices when they first saw the script. I hope Charlie Brooker hasn't reached the stature where nobody has the guts to tell him when he's screwing up.
What did you think were some of the issues? I thought it was kind of a slow episode, but it fit in with the overall arc of the series with the Black Mirror teaching lesson. Of any, I think I liked Arkangel the least.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #2262
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The premise of the setup was good. Acting was good. Direction some of the best in the series.

I just didn't buy the story.
Spoiler!
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #2263
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
I've been a big fan of Derren Brown's shows for years. His latest one The Push is on Netflix now. He creates a large social experiment to see if he can manipulate someone into committing murder. Not gonna say too much else about it except to go watch it. It's really really good.
I just watched that, and my initial reaction afterwards that the people who made this should go to jail. That's honestly an unreasonable thing to put people through.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #2264
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
jesus christ the new chris rock special should be titled "#### white people". unfunny and stupid.
I remember reading this post a few weeks ago and thinking it was just exaggeration.

I absolutely love Chris Rock, Bigger & Blacker and Bring The Pain are incredible. Put on the new special last night and hit the stop button just 3 mins in.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #2265
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

This looks like good sci-fi you can watch with the family. Good production values and not an overly kiddish story.

I like the twist on the Robot origin.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #2266
Guest1

I just binged "Everything S#*ks". It was entertaining. Kinda like Degrassi, but with lesbians. The black kid was a pretty good little actor. But there was something about the chick that just weirded me out. Something about her eyes... alienish...no emotion. Was just what I needed for a stay at home sick day.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #2267
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're near the end of season 4 of the American Shameless and we're disliking it. I checked IMDB and the viewer reviews continue to be good but we're fast losing interest. We'll take a time out and may go back to it, or maybe skip a few episodes to get past Fiona's legal problems and see if it gets better. I figure we can quickly catch up on the story lines if we skip a few episodes.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #2268
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I really enjoy Shameless but the last few seasons have felt pretty cyclical. No one ever gets ahead or makes real progress as a character. Debbie was the only one I didn't hate before but that changed a couple seasons ago when she went off the deep-end too.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #2269
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
I've been a big fan of Derren Brown's shows for years. His latest one The Push is on Netflix now. He creates a large social experiment to see if he can manipulate someone into committing murder. Not gonna say too much else about it except to go watch it. It's really really good.
+1 to this, going into this cold makes it much, much better.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #2270
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I really enjoy Shameless but the last few seasons have felt pretty cyclical. No one ever gets ahead or makes real progress as a character. Debbie was the only one I didn't hate before but that changed a couple seasons ago when she went off the deep-end too.
Its almost like... real life!

I get what you're saying but I have enjoyed all the seasons that are on netflix. Still a top 5 show for me of all time.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:46 AM   #2271
circle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Mute was released today. It's getting panned by critics and, after watching it, it's pretty deserved. It felt like two movies and the story was all over the place. Paul Rudd was the shining star in it and at times I thought was the lead. 5/10 probably.
Totally agree with you. The story just didn't know where it was going and the characters and their motivations weren't convincing. Good concept, good visuals, pretty poorly written story.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #2272
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just finished Manhunt: Unabomber. Really good show, I was a little too young to remember the specifics but it was truly fascinating. Normally my wife and I don't get too deep into shows but we finished the entire series in two nights (after the baby went to sleep).

Going to try Babylon Berlin next.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #2273
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Agree with you on Shameless. I binged the first 4 seasons because it was real and it was raw. Then it felt cyclical and my interest slowly faded in the middle of season 5 and then just stopped watching altogether.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #2274
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
Agree with you on Shameless. I binged the first 4 seasons because it was real and it was raw. Then it felt cyclical and my interest slowly faded in the middle of season 5 and then just stopped watching altogether.
You outlasted us. We stopped near the end of S4. It got boring.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #2275
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think the problem with Shameless is they thought that people wanted to see the family be dysfunctional forever.

So then it became cyclical, everyone kept falling into the same trap, and the scenarios had to keep becoming more outlandish to keep it "fresh".

I think there was some decent stuff in season 7 & 8 that turned it around a bit but often falls into the same trap and becomes too outlandish.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #2276
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dunno wtf people are talking about. I think the new Chris Rock special is hilarious. All of the white people stuff is clearly facetious so I kinda have to agree with the white fragility label.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #2277
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw the new Ricky Gervais special Humanity. The best of the Netlfix comedy specials, IMHO. The bits on why he isn't a parent were classic.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #2278
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Norm Macdonald has a show:
http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/norm-...show-host.html
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #2279
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Just saw the new Ricky Gervais special Humanity. The best of the Netlfix comedy specials, IMHO. The bits on why he isn't a parent were classic.
Absolutely, the new Gervais is right up there with "Animals" and "Science" which I have watched more than a few times.

Not sure if I see many people talking about Colin Quinn's recent one man shows. "Long Story Short" just blew me away, his cadence and delivery have always been enjoyable but the entire show is amazing. By far my favorite show by any stand up in the past 5 years. "New York Story" as well, just brilliant and available on Netflix right now.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #2280
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Awesome. I can't wait for it be cancelled 8 episodes in!

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: