Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #1
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Cabo All-Inclusives

So I've been to Cabo quite a few times (wife loves it there). I usually stay at the same two places (Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos or the Paradisus). Looking to change it up this time. Not really a lot of options for when my wife wants to go. Two that keep popping up are the Sandos Finisterra and the Grand Fiesta American Los Cabos. Has anyone ever been to any of these two? I always find expedia/trip advisor reviews hard to read as you get both extremes (people who don't really travel that think everything is awesome and those that like to #### on everything for small issues). If you've been two either of these, let me know how they are, or if you other options to suggest I'm all ears as well. Would prefer something new, but I also fear I could end up somewhere and it not be up to standards to what i'm used to and I don't feel like paying a lot of money to listen to my wife complain about how we should have just went back to the Hyatt.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

this post will likely not be overly helpful, but even here you will get here same array of opinions.

to me, if you have two places that you have been and that you like, then go there.

happy wife, happy life
Old 03-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Another not-helpful post. If you're travelling to Cabo often enough, maybe go back to the hotel you know and then spend a day/afternoon visiting some of the other hotels. They'll have someone that can give you a tour of the facilities, show you rooms, etc. That way you and your wife can see what they're like first hand and can plan your next next trip.

It saves you from being the goat.

Or, just have your wife pick the hotel this time so if it's terrible it's her fault.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My wife is looking for a hotel change as well. While we like the two I mentioned, both have their drawbacks. Hyatt Ziva hosts big conferences and when there is one their they will randomly close stuff for that party only (doesn’t go over well when you’ve paid 5K to be there) and the Paradisus is a little boring for our likes despite being a very nice resort. That’s why I was wondering if anyone had stayed at the two I mentioned as we are close to booking one of them and would like some first hand knowledge on them if available as Expedia is not really reliable in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve stayed a few times at the RIU Palace. It’s pretty nice and you get access to the RIU Santa Fe which is a lively party type resort so you get best of both worlds depending on what you are feeling for that day.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is more near Cancun, but it's isolated and probably the best resort I've ever stayed at. Royalton.

Clean rooms, amazing resort, quiet, and unreal food. My wife and I really enjoy good food, and neither of us have ever had food better in Mexico than here.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

We thought the food was really good at the Inter-Continental at San Jose del Cabo (but that was 15 years ago).
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’ve stayed a few times at the RIU Palace. It’s pretty nice and you get access to the RIU Santa Fe which is a lively party type resort so you get best of both worlds depending on what you are feeling for that day.
I enjoyed my stay at the Riu Palace, right up until the point I saw an elderly gentlemen from Saskatchewan have a heart attack while jogging, and the staff didn't even know what an AED was, and it took at good 15 minutes for any resort medical staff to respond. Luckily a nice Calgary couple (ER nurse and Paramedic) were on hand to help the guy.

Also some horror stories out of that resort following the hurricane in 2017, that most of the staff left, leaving the guests to fend for themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/RiuSantaFeHurricaneOdile/
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ personally, for mexico I don't think that is overly surprising.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cabo doesn't have many great all inclusives, as the town is filled with awesome bars and restaurants.

Why not rent a condo or house and try out another route altogether?
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

I've never been to this hotel in particular but have stayed at the Grand Velas in Puerto Vallarta several times. It is a new hotel and I can't imagine you would be dissapointed staying there. It's pricey

https://loscabos.grandvelas.com/
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #12
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I stayed here for my 40th

https://www.pueblobonito.com/resorts/pacifica

I really, really liked it. Higher end, adult only, private, and they own something like 4 other resorts in Cabo. If you stay at Pueblo Bonito you have access to all the other resorts, but they don't have access to yours. It was pretty handy to eat at different spots around Cabo while drinking free top shelf while keeping kids and riff raff out of your own pool/restaurants.

I've done quite a few all inclusives and stay in hotels fairly regularly, and IMO it's pretty high end.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #13
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Stayed at Sandos Finisterra a few years back. Rooms were good, food was decent, but nothing spectacular. We managed to stay in the cliff side rooms which had an awesome view of the marina.
One thing I noticed was it tended to have a younger crowd staying there, but that could have just been around the time of year we were there so don't quote me on that.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stayed at the Barcelo in San Jose de Cabo. Very nice bit I don’t go down there for the resorts. I go down there for the fishing
meritmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #15
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thinking about Breathless in Cabo now, but fear it could be a little too d-baggish.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:47 AM   #16
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Or, just have your wife pick the hotel this time so if it's terrible it's her fault.
Another non-helpful post here, but my wife was wise to this tactic when we were booking Thailand. As I discovered, you can go horribly wrong on Phuket hotels.

I blew Phuket badly but I made up for it on my Pattaya choice.

Good luck!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:19 AM   #17
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Thinking about Breathless in Cabo now, but fear it could be a little too d-baggish.
The Breathless does attract a certain type of clientele. Although I’d say it has similar service levels to the Hyatt it is not the same demographic. Have you considered the Secrets Puerto Los Cabls? Or the Dreams? I’ve sent lots of clients to both and had great feedback. Secrets is adults only and higher end, whereas Dreams is family friendly. But both have the same type of inclusions and service that the Hyatt does (unlimited a la carts dining, etc.). Downside to the Secrets can be the location spending on what you are looking for - it’s not directly in the hotel zone so it’s a bit farther from town centre. Some people like that though as it’s a bit quieter.
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #18
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR View Post
The Breathless does attract a certain type of clientele. Although I’d say it has similar service levels to the Hyatt it is not the same demographic. Have you considered the Secrets Puerto Los Cabls? Or the Dreams? I’ve sent lots of clients to both and had great feedback. Secrets is adults only and higher end, whereas Dreams is family friendly. But both have the same type of inclusions and service that the Hyatt does (unlimited a la carts dining, etc.). Downside to the Secrets can be the location spending on what you are looking for - it’s not directly in the hotel zone so it’s a bit farther from town centre. Some people like that though as it’s a bit quieter.
Yup, for some reason neither secrets or dreams are available that week. Would be giving Sevrets a try otherwise.