Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2023, 01:14 PM   #321
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Grew up as a big anime fan but now as an adult, I find most animes are made for children and teenagers/young adults and about high school shenanigans or younger kids in empowered fantasy worlds. I can't watch anime anymore as I cannot relate to it anymore.

There is a bunch of manga called Seinen (young adult) or Gekiga (adult). Where are the animes for that? I want an anime about the struggles of being a Japanese salary man working for a difficult company with office politics and his struggles to pay the bills.
Yeah, aging out of it brought me into the realm of Dorama and Korean dramas over a decade ago.

I agree with you on what you're talking about. Genre wise, those that are young adults/adults are often stuff like violence, some of it good. Some bleh:

- Aijin
- Gantz
- GiTS
- Black Lagoon
- One punch man
- Zom 100
- Cat #### one (is this considered adult?)
- Way of the house husband
- Ingress

But mundane stuff, honestly I believe there's some surprisingly interesting stuff out there too, but it's rare:
- Bartender
- Planetes

My memory might be a little foggy and it's been a while, but I think these might be not bad as well (albeit more exaggerated instead of mundane)?
- Great pretender
- Yakitate Japan
- Golden boy

TBH, a bunch of this stuff is better off as live action than Anime.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 06:59 PM   #322
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I thought Dorohedoro on Netflix was great. Too bad we likely aren't getting a season 2 though.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #323
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Dragon Ball Daima? Everyone is chibi? Weird.

Old 10-21-2023, 08:24 PM   #324
photon

Exp:

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End is one of my candidates for anime of the year, in a year filled with S tier anime too.

It's about what happens with one of the party after the heroes defeat the demon king and the rest of the party ages as she lives on being an elf with a much longer life span.

Well worth the watch IMO

Old 10-23-2023, 01:15 PM   #325
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a watch after I finish Log Horizon.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 10:37 AM   #326
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End is one of my candidates for anime of the year, in a year filled with S tier anime too.

It's about what happens with one of the party after the heroes defeat the demon king and the rest of the party ages as she lives on being an elf with a much longer life span.

Well worth the watch IMO

Ugh, unfinished. I will put this on my list but I hate watching animes that aren't already completed. Episodes are usually too short to justify waiting a week between.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 08:46 PM   #327
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Grew up as a big anime fan but now as an adult, I find most animes are made for children and teenagers/young adults and about high school shenanigans or younger kids in empowered fantasy worlds. I can't watch anime anymore as I cannot relate to it anymore.

There is a bunch of manga called Seinen (young adult) or Gekiga (adult). Where are the animes for that? I want an anime about the struggles of being a Japanese salary man working for a difficult company with office politics and his struggles to pay the bills.
yeah typically manga for adults falls under the seinen (men) or josei (women) categories, so stuff adapted from such manga tends to have more relatable themes (although personally as an adult, stuff like One Piece and Gurren Lagann will always be my vibe)

A few I do recommend though:

- Shirobako - an anime about... making anime. Literally. I enjoyed it a ton.
- Nana - a brilliant about moving to Tokyo as a 20-something. Total tearjerker with a loveable cast. Also about a punk rock band as its b-plot.
- Honey & Clover - a masterpiece about art college. Way better than the premise, it's really driven by stronf writing.
- Gankutsuou - The Count of Monte Cristo: The Anime
- Shiki - I'm not really a horror person, but Shiki is the best piece of zombie media i've ever experienced
- Zom 100 - speaking of zombies, an anime about someone who finds the zombie apocalypse refreshing because he was burnt out from working in an exploitative corporation
- Terra E - The best space opera i've ever watched.
- Noein - A show about time travel with exceptional writing.
- Shinsekai Yori - characters start out young, but there is a timeskip midway.
- Banana Fish - a masterpiece that's kind of like The Wire. highly recommend
- Rose of Versailles - A classic set during the french revolution. My #3 anime ever
- The Tatami Galaxy - groundhog day show about someone trying to have his "ideal" college experience. masterpiece although the first few episodes were admittedly repetitive (but it all pays off)
- The Legend of Galactic Heroes - Space opera driven by compelling characters and politics. 100+ episodes but make no mistake, it's not an action show.
- The Twelve Kingdoms - although it does have a bit of that "highschooler in another world" trope, it's from a different era and moreso just focuses on worldbuilding and political intrigue. The first and third story arcs are so powerful that it's my #2 anime.
- Log Horizon - while technically full of modern isekai tropes (trapped in a MMORPG), it's about grownups building a society and economy more than anything

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-24-2023 at 08:52 PM.
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:13 PM   #328
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

You listed your number 3 and number 2 anime in that list so I have to ask...what's your #1?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:24 PM   #329
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
You listed your number 3 and number 2 anime in that list so I have to ask...what's your #1?
Spoiler!

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 09:27 AM   #330
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone see the new South Park episode?
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 02:15 PM   #331
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was cleaning up the basement last night and I found the CD I used for my wedding.

Screw Canon in D. I was blasting this Oh My Goddess Song in the Devonian Gardens! lol. It drew quite a crowd.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:41 PM   #332
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'e watched a whole bunch of anime this year. It's my new thing where I sit on a recumbent bike for 25 mins, twice, sometimes three times a day. No spoilers!

Blood of Zeus. Finally watched it, and hol-ee-crap was this good. It reminded me why I used to love animation, I seem to have fallen out of love with it the last few years. I was totally stoked to learn a second season is coming this spring. Watching this inspired me to give other programs a chance. 5/5

The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf. Total garbage. I didn't know who was who, what was what, hardly anything was explained, and it was boring as boring can be. 1/5

Blue-Eyed Samurai. Outstanding! The animation was crisp and clean and bright; the story was engaging, and I want more of this. 4.5/5

He-Man Revelations. I mean, c'mon - it's He-Man! I grew up with this ####. I think I watched this when it came out, but forgot it all. Those five episodes blew by like a sneeze, waaay too short of season.. Still haven't watched the next season. 3/5

Transformers War For Cybertron - Siege. I definitely watched this a few years ago, I distinctly remember how painfully slow it was. Brutal, blocky animation. 1.5/5

Transformers War For Cybertron - Earthrise. I'm actually having trouble remembering this one and I only watched it about a month ago. ?/5

Transformers: War for Cybertron - Kingdom. This one made an impression. The animation either grew on me or it got better. I could really appreciate how they tied so many Transformers universes and timelines together. That ending was great. 3.5/5
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:20 AM   #333
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Ugh, unfinished. I will put this on my list but I hate watching animes that aren't already completed. Episodes are usually too short to justify waiting a week between.
Only 3 episodes till the end of the season (28 episodes total).

And this show has only gotten better. The animation hasn't let up for a single episode, the show isn't afraid to take it slow and let things breathe, but when there's action it goes hard.

Does it deserve to be ahead of Brotherhood on the MAL list? Maybe!

Another great anime that's nearing the end and well worth watching is The Apothecary Diaries. I wasn't sure I'd like it from the trailer but I think the trailer gives the wrong impression. Very character driven and often the episodes are the protag solving a mystery of some kind. Gorgeous looking and funny and dramatic and interesting, well worth the time.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:21 PM   #334
photon

Exp:

Just found out that Akira Toriyama (creator of Dragon Ball) died at 68
Old 03-08-2024, 04:26 PM   #335
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad day, Toriyama was an absolute legend. Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, all such great work.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:27 PM   #336
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I have been watching "Delicious in Dungeon" on Netflix. It's a pretty amusing series so far.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:35 PM   #337
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Just found out about this. Very happy:

https://www.thepopverse.com/dorohedo...-mappa-netflix

Dorohedoro Season 2 is confirmed!
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote