Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Knut

Exp:
Default **** Mobile Carriers

I am going to VENT!!!

I am with Bell. Last year (Oct 31st) I was able to do a hardware upgrade on my account... I went from the PALM Treo to the Blackberry curve 8330.

Since then I have had to send two back. The first in January 2008 with apparent water damage, although I never got it wet, and i went 5 weeks with my old broken down TREO waiting for a replacement. The Replacement lasted until April. When it would no longer charge. I sent that in and received a refurbished phone a week later.

Finally, Nov 1st comes along... my phone will not turn on. I take it into a store, and they confirm it has to be sent in. But, i would have to buy a new one as my original one year manufacturer warranty expired the day before.

I call Bell... they tell me to call RIM... who tells me to call Bell. No one is willing to give my a one-day repreive on my warranty!!! ***** Bell will give me 100 long distance minutes every month for the year (whoop-de-doo!!). Allready talked to 2 supervisors at bell. RIM wouldnt even patch me through to one.

So i figure my options are:

1) Buy out of my contract (400) and sign up with a different carrier .

2) Buy a new phone from Best buy or future-shop and get a longer warranty

or

3) Buy a third party phone and get them to link it.

Any thoughts on other options ?
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 with Bell and am looking to upgrade to the new Blackberry 9700 as soon as I can.

If you want, you can purchase my Blackberry off me in the even they let my upgrade soon. My actual date for the upgrade is Dec 9th but I am attempting to get it done earlier.
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackJack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Go to kijiji or the like and pick up a used BB (compatible with Bell) - Bell will probably charge you to switch to the new one.
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
luloo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
I am going to VENT!!!

I am with Bell. Last year (Oct 31st) I was able to do a hardware upgrade on my account... I went from the PALM Treo to the Blackberry curve 8330.

Since then I have had to send two back. The first in January 2008 with apparent water damage, although I never got it wet, and i went 5 weeks with my old broken down TREO waiting for a replacement. The Replacement lasted until April. When it would no longer charge. I sent that in and received a refurbished phone a week later.

Finally, Nov 1st comes along... my phone will not turn on. I take it into a store, and they confirm it has to be sent in. But, i would have to buy a new one as my original one year manufacturer warranty expired the day before.

I call Bell... they tell me to call RIM... who tells me to call Bell. No one is willing to give my a one-day repreive on my warranty!!! ***** Bell will give me 100 long distance minutes every month for the year (whoop-de-doo!!). Allready talked to 2 supervisors at bell. RIM wouldnt even patch me through to one.

So i figure my options are:

1) Buy out of my contract (400) and sign up with a different carrier .

2) Buy a new phone from Best buy or future-shop and get a longer warranty

or

3) Buy a third party phone and get them to link it.

Any thoughts on other options ?
Not sure if you want to go the no warranty route but since bell now uses SIM cards you may be able to get one unlocked and use it on bell? They have an area on their website (if you look at the $5 sim card) where you can enter a number and can tell if a phone can be used for bell or not.
luloo is offline   Reply With Quote