Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #21
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
This is just the typical Nintendo business model. Release something, wait until lots of people buy it, and then release the "better" edition, forcing people to buy that also.

Gameboy Advance comes out as a purple, un-rechargeable, un-backlit kid toy. A bit later they come out with the SP, which is everything the Advance always should have been. Nintendo DS comes out, and then a while later out comes the DS Lite.

Now they are making people buy basically a hardware patch to make the Wii do what most people thought it would do from the start. Its a good business model, unless people start to catch on.
By that logic there never should have been an Xbox, they should just have released the XBox 360 right from the get go. Or there should never have been a PS2. These companies are developing this stuff as they go and have to make decisions as to when hardware is consumer ready, and able to be sold at a price that people can justify paying. Sure they could have included higher end technology in any of thes systems mentioned, including the Wii, but did it make economic sense to do so at the time they needed to release a new system to stay competitive.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #22
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
Just curious if you've played Wii Sports Bowling, I get wicked spin on my bowling balls. It basically involves twisting your wrist ever so slightly at the bottom of your swing. I can throw straight down the far left side of the lane (I'm a lefty) and put enough right spin on the ball to miss the headpin entirely to the right even on a really hard throw. (I.e the ball starts going straight down the left most board and start curving around half-way and crosses over the centre line before reaching the pins.)

The best way I can describe putting spin on is to have a really straight backswing and downswing, but just before your arm reaches vertical on the downswing you start twisting your wrist in the direction you want spin. By the time your arm is straight out in front of you (long after you've released the ball) your hand should be at 90 degrees rotation from it's original position. It takes some practice, but the spin in bowling is actually one of the most impressive things I've found for the Wii. I just hope in improves golfing, I can't believe how awfull putting is in Wii Sports Golf.
Yeah by fiddling I've got certain things to work in certain games but it's never just a natural swing, shot, smack etc. Golf is one where it really needs the control to be good. It's just so weak on any system. It's nothing like playing the game. But even there certain parts of it are decent.

They just need to make the jump. Then have the other systems incorporate and keep moving up the technology. Just making it faster to mash buttons and with better graphics is nowhere near good enough. I want a significant upgrade in game play. That's why I was enthusiastic about the Wii in the first place. Something actually new--not just the same old same old with a better picture-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motionplus , nintendo , video games , wii