Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #21
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I actually agree. Sports and shooting games are different. It's hard for any of us average Joes to be professional athletes and score 3 goals in an NHL game. It's illegal for any of us to shoot zombies in the head or be the Master Chief.

I could go pick up a guitar and learn a nice little skill though.
It all comes back to it being a game. Instead of spending hours learning how to play a real guitar you can pick this up and the learning curve is easier and you can have fun whether it's yourself or a bunch of people.

And it doesn't mean that you cant still go and learn how to play a real guitar. I've always wanted to learn how to play a guitar and Guitar Hero 3 has sparked my interest even more. My cousin's been playing guitar for probably 20 years and has Guitar Hero 2.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #22
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

its a game. i don't get why people can't get that. Sure, i'd like to learn guitar but by the time i get around to it my kids will be long grown up and what's the point of that if I am looking to play a game?

personally, i'm ecstatic to see games like these come out...and i am more than willing to pay a premium for games that the family can all play together. i love the halos and burnouts, but those games are for me. games like GH, DDR, Karaoke Revolution, Rock Band and the wii are things where people don't have to isolate themselves...and can actually have a good time with family members. that's worth a lot to me.

you get the sensory perception of playing an instrument, but no more nor less than playing tiger woods and thinking that you are golfing. its a game.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 AM   #23
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I actually agree. Sports and shooting games are different. It's hard for any of us average Joes to be professional athletes and score 3 goals in an NHL game. It's illegal for any of us to shoot zombies in the head or be the Master Chief.

I could go pick up a guitar and learn a nice little skill though.
Ok. Do it. Give yourself 1 month, and give one of us 1 month. See the enjoyment you have.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band games are fun. That is it. In that month, we will have friends over and have good laughs and have fun - even non-gamers enjoy the games. You will be learning your basic chords, play a song, and when friends come over they will akwardly agree with you that the song you played sounds anything remotely like the original.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #24
MaxPower
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
In other news, people might actually buy real instruments and learn how to make their own music.

I don't understand this whole Guitar Hero/Rock Band fad.
The developers of Rock Band have said that if you can play a song on the top skill level on the drums, you can "pretty much play the song in reality."

Maybe hyping their own product to a degree, but as far as the drums go, they're not that much different.... except in this case, you're not some guy trying to learn drums by himself in the basement driving everyone else nuts with terrible drum skills; you're having fun playing a game while playing along with the song.

Can you see where this fad maybe could go in the future now?
MaxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #25
CrispyGriz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this becomes a very common way to actually learn to play an instrument. If we can plug a toy into a game and play interactively, then why cant we eventually be at a point where we can plug an actual instrument into a computer or system and play a tutorial of some sort.

But in the mean time, I'm loving GH3 other than trying to beat raining blood and one on hard. Both are songs i should be able to beat, but just cant right now. I'm moving through expert pretty well though, up to the Tenacious D song at this point.

Favorite song to play is Welcome to the Jungle on expert so far.
CrispyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #26
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Buddy of mine drove to Port Huron to pick it up this morning. He is at my place playing it since his mom watches his daughter and he didn't want her to know that he was skipping a day of work to get a video game. She would have taken the day off from watching his daughter and he'd get no time to play.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #27
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

So anyone hear he official word on the delay? I have read conflicting reports on how long it willactually be. I would call my local EBGames, but I am not in the mood to talk to the 15 year old girl today.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #28
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
In other news, people might actually buy real instruments and learn how to make their own music.

I don't understand this whole Guitar Hero/Rock Band fad.
Do we have to have this post every time someone mentions GH or Rock Band... we get it you like real instruments, your awsome and way better than all of us - here's your hero cookie.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #29
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

[quote=peter12;1073492]It's illegal for any of us to shoot zombies in the head or be the Master Chief.[/quote]

How is it illegal to be Master Chief? If you work hard and eat your wheaties any dream can come true.

Anyway, learning to play Slayer tunes on a real electric guitar in my basement would take months and there would never be any real pay-off. Do people actually hit-up open mic nights ready to drop cover tunes for a crowd of uninterested wanna-be musicians? I highly doubt it. Where exactly would you showcase this 'talent'?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #30
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, just got my copy of rock band from the states today. I only had 2 hours sleep last night due to a Christams staff party though, so I'm going to crash now and report later
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #31
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
Ok, just got my copy of rock band from the states today. I only had 2 hours sleep last night due to a Christams staff party though, so I'm going to crash now and report later
which retailer did you get it from? i went down that path but anywhere i found one wouldn't send it to canada.

man, i can't wait to hear your report!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #32
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Metacritic has this bad boy rated at 94. fwiw.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #33
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just got a copy of it yesterday. I've only played Guitar Hero a few times, but the guitar playing in Rock Band is very similar. The best part about the game for me (at least so far) is the drums - man is that addictive. I think I could have burned four hours straight last night if I didn't have to work this morning.
LeftWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #34
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read yesterday that this is possibly delayed for Canada again. EB has it still listed as the 20th of December but both BestBuy.ca and Futureshop.ca have now listed it as December 28.

Not good.

rumour is that the canadian gear is being cannibalized to support the broken US equipment.

fwiw EA is also giving a free game if your guitar broke in the us.